Old 10-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: IHRA Ends Stock & Super Stock Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys dad View Post
Does any one remember AHRA?

Ron (former GT3 national event competitor and champion)
Tulsa went AHRA for a while. I never could slow my car down enough to run with that deal. Never saw so many cars with no front bumpers. Tulsa scedualed a National event with them. I ran off my own record in NHRA back then. I decided I would just set the AHRA record where I needed it at that race. Their tech guy, Vance Brady about had a stroke when I went down for the rear down. Told me I "was not going to screw our guys over like that". His whole little bald head turned red. And, said that if I was not happy running off the record as it was, to just take my ***** somewhere else to race. I was just going to knock it down 1.10 seconds. Slowest bunch of cars I had ever seen. Only good AHRA car I remember was Alan Patterson's '55. Very nice car.
Some of us used to call it the Arkansas Hillbilly Racing Association.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 10-08-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Tulsa went AHRA for a while. I never could slow my car down enough to run with that deal. Never saw so many cars with no front bumpers. Tulsa scedualed a National event with them. I ran off my own record in NHRA back then. I decided I would just set the AHRA record where I needed it at that race. Their tech guy, Vance Brady about had a stroke when I went down for the rear down. Told me I "was not going to screw our guys over like that". His whole little bald head turned red. And, said that if I was not happy running off the record as it was, to just take my ***** somewhere else to race. I was just going to knock it down 1.10 seconds. Slowest bunch of cars I had ever seen. Only good AHRA car I remember was Alan Patterson's '55. Very nice car.
I well remember the AHRA having raced at many of national events around the the country, all the Tulsa races & even the one at Orange County. I may not have had a front bumper on my Gremlin but I did on my Camaro. Unlike Ed I have many fond memories racing with future NHRA national event winners & a Super Stock World Champion from Tulsa.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I only knew people mostly from California - I ran AHRA because we had Irwindale, Orange County, Long beach and Bee line. I only ran stock a couple of times and never took off the bumper but I guess I did not because I had a new car ('69 Z28). I do remember a little of the snipping from NHRA guys but to tell you the truth there were not that many in So Cal. I was hitting National events in a Pro car in GT3. I do remember Sox + Martin, Rod Shop, Bill Hielscher, Golden Commandos, Wally Booth, Gary Kimble (Kimble Brothers Chevrolet), Ram Chargers, Kevin Rotty, Dick Harrel (Fred Gibb Chevrolet) - the list goes on - none of them were junk. Seems I also remember Wheatly Brothers (from upstate NY) made a movie called "Two Lane Blacktop" - oh and Granny Goose (Hiner and Miller) both of those cars were NHRA competitors - man this is dredging up some old old memories - 45 to 50 years ago. Of course most of you are to young to remember most of those guys. Thank you for stiring the embers. BTW the pay outs were the same or better than NHRA and the contingencies were just as good. It is America and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Last edited by Andys dad; 10-09-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Andys dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 181 Times in 111 Posts

Hello ALL:

Just got off the phone with Jim Campisano from NMCA.

DanSources has just become a non-automotive sponsor for Pure Stock with NMCA.

We also had a long conversation about the races, racers, public and discussed all the Independent S/SS, Comp, .90 Series listed in Class Racer could bring to NMCA.

Association Presidents the door is open.
Contact them and see what you call can work out.

Go to the NMCA "Contact Us" icon you can see all their names.
Jim was former Division 1 racer now living in Sarasota.

I like their format and rules.
Friendly like IHRA but better.

Call them and what you can work out with NMRA.

Hey Crate Motor racers the $10 Bet you cannot beat me is STILL ON !!

Dan
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Question Re: IHRA Ends Stock & Super Stock Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Hello ALL:

Hey Crate Motor racers the $10 Bet you cannot beat me is STILL ON !!

Dan

When did this bet go into effect?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

Unfortunately I can see NHRA follow in the near future, their accountants can count and NHRA bulk of members are bracket racers after all.maybe another two years before they make changes.I hope it doesn't happen but they have to do something maybe 10.5 or compacts.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #7

Liked 927 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Unfortunately I can see NHRA follow in the near future, their accountants can count and NHRA bulk of members are bracket racers after all.maybe another two years before they make changes.I hope it doesn't happen but they have to do something maybe 10.5 or compacts.
Im a little lost, during the crate motor discussion, it was brought up that at IHRA races, less than 20 SS and Stockers show up at races, so though it sucks that IHRA got rid of class racing, someone said the writing was on the wall due to low car counts. In div1 NHRA divisionals, we get close to 100 Stockers, and 75 or so Super Stockers. At the Dutch Classic, we had 124 Stockers, at 170 per entry, that's over 27,000 in entries, to pay 2000 to the winner ( Gold Rush and ATI put up money also)
I'm not sure where the bean counters are gonna say thats a money loser. I dont know any bracket racer that would pay a 170.00 entry fee to win 2000.00. I'm sorry for you IHRA guys, but with the field size, and filling quotas fast at National events, no-one can say that the lack of participants will kill NHRA class racing as was said about IHRA class racing last week prior to the bad news

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #8
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,924 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Im a little lost, during the crate motor discussion, it was brought up that at IHRA races, less than 20 SS and Stockers show up at races, so though it sucks that IHRA got rid of class racing, someone said the writing was on the wall due to low car counts. In div1 NHRA divisionals, we get close to 100 Stockers, and 75 or so Super Stockers. At the Dutch Classic, we had 124 Stockers, at 170 per entry, that's over 27,000 in entries, to pay 2000 to the winner ( Gold Rush and ATI put up money also)
I'm not sure where the bean counters are gonna say thats a money loser. I dont know any bracket racer that would pay a 170.00 entry fee to win 2000.00. I'm sorry for you IHRA guys, but with the field size, and filling quotas fast at National events, no-one can say that the lack of participants will kill NHRA class racing as was said about IHRA class racing last week prior to the bad news
Ditto! IHRA didn't quit having class racing while making money, they were looking their ***! NHRA is not going to stop having class racing as long as 100+ cars per class are showing up.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Div 1 has always been a rich environment of stocker and super stocker as they were for Competition eliminator and look what happened there but in other division they're having their issues. As a fan I love Class racing.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
Tex013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

[Quote
I'm not sure where the bean counters are gonna say thats a money loser. I dont know any bracket racer that would pay a 170.00 entry fee to win 2000.00. I'm sorry for you IHRA guys, but with the field size, and filling quotas fast at National events, no-one can say that the lack of participants will kill NHRA class racing as was said about IHRA class racing last week prior to the bad news[/QUOTE]
LOL
You should try racing here in Australia . Bracket meet $180 entry $200 to win on the day , you may get free entry for following year if you win championship and a little more winning $ 2000.00 prize. National event $380 entry I think $750 or $1000 to win
You guys better look at the half full glass - not the half empty one

Tex
Tex013 is offline   Reply With Quote