HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
K Stubbs

Liked 20 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: I'm confused about IHRA's Sportsman friendliness

I agree with you Hagan, if IHRA doesnt up their payout they will continue to have low car counts. Im sure someone will immediately reply to this and say, " we as racers need to show our support for them to increase the payout." I do understand this point but just as Vic just pointed out, its hard to leave the house when you will not even pay for your trip if you win. Yes we do it for fun, BUT, this sport is getting more and more expensive and most people are probably making less so this is more important at the moment than, "Lets support them so they can pay us more". Contingencies are less and less, that is what the sportsman racer relies on. I do applaud IHRA for their TOC at the end of the year, an awesome program. Personally, I believe the tracks, organizations should pay the racer more at the track to at least make it more appealing to drive the distance to attend. Even if its $500-$1000 more for the winner/runner up and a little more down the line it would offset cost. If the contingency sponsors have to pay the money, then why isnt there a fund prepaid by them for this so the racer can collect the money at the track for their products/decals? I think combo races will be very popular this year.
K Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
vic guilmino

Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Angry Re: I'm confused about IHRA's Sportsman friendliness

hey terry
i am not rich like you
i am just a poor boy from wv
and i do this for fun
but the cost now is well
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile Re: I'm confused about IHRA's Sportsman friendliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic guilmino View Post
hey terry
i am not rich like you
i am just a poor boy from wv
and i do this for fun
but the cost now is well
Heh Heh Im from W. "By God" also (the poor coal mine part) and Im sure not rich. Wished I had a motor home like yours. To many other toys took what $$$$ I had I guess. Hope your keeping warm in the frozen north.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Hagen Gary
Live Reporter

Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts

I can't call either organization more friendly than the other. Sure, IHRA is more layed back, cuz nobody shows up. IHRA spends more time with you, cuz nobody shows up. IHRA starts late and ends early, cuz nobody shows up. You park close, cuz nobody shows up. You get it? I have never had a problem with either org. besides the payout structure. Its broken in both. But this is just a slap in the face. Its not my fault if nobody shows, but how can you feel good about paying the same to get in the gate and T/S gets 6 times as much as a SS car in the semis if the same number of cars show up? Give me a break, I could have a competative car in T/S or T/D for the same money in my SS. What makes them so special? I guess if I had a brick with a CM in it, I could call it a stocker and load it up on my open trailer and feel ok with the payout. But I don't want to and a great majority of the people IHRA needs to suport them don't either.
Hagen Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I've got to agree about TS & TD. I was very disappointed to learn it's just another bracket race. I never watched them, so assumed since they make such a big deal about their qualifying they actually raced heads up like the Alky cars. Their "show" would be a lot better if they actually raced heads up. Of course the beaters would stop showing up.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
My business is internet-based, so it's always right there. Just happened to stumble on it at the 'right' time.

Sorry for venting. Just absolutely SICK of all the problem-generating WE do, on top of all of the ACTUAL problems that are forced on us. Kinda cranky too from working 14hr days trying to get caught up with work. Been so slammed that I'm not racing this weekend, and probably not next weekend.

Need to go race with Ortiz some more.
Michael I'm just having fun with you. I went to 7 IHRA races last year so I don't have a problem with them. I race for fun and to see friends. Winning is nice,but not an necessity to me.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen Gary View Post
Dude, you missed the point. I don't think IHRA really believes they will get more than 32 cars in either class. So they adjusted the payout to rounds won instead of semis, quaters and so on. This has everything to do with friendliness, I expect my friends to be fair to me. The differences in payout structure is not fair in MY opinion. Seems like they know exactly how many cars will show from years past and adjusted acordingly. I figured I earned the right to bitch about how I got enhanced by IHRA. I wish everyone in the area would come give it a try, and thats why this pisses me off.

Ed, I'll be at both BR and Houston, You?
Houston
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen Gary View Post
I can't call either organization more friendly than the other. Sure, IHRA is more layed back, cuz nobody shows up. IHRA spends more time with you, cuz nobody shows up. IHRA starts late and ends early, cuz nobody shows up. You park close, cuz nobody shows up. You get it? I have never had a problem with either org. besides the payout structure. Its broken in both. But this is just a slap in the face. Its not my fault if nobody shows, but how can you feel good about paying the same to get in the gate and T/S gets 6 times as much as a SS car in the semis if the same number of cars show up? Give me a break, I could have a competative car in T/S or T/D for the same money in my SS. What makes them so special? I guess if I had a brick with a CM in it, I could call it a stocker and load it up on my open trailer and feel ok with the payout. But I don't want to and a great majority of the people IHRA needs to suport them don't either.
Hagen I get your point. Two years ago in Pine Valley there were 3 cars left. I was one of them. I lost to Dwayne Custer. I went to the tower and they said because of the car count we are only paying the winner and r/u. That is the one time I wasn't to thrilled with IHRA. other than that it's been good. I feel if I pulled my car 5 hours to the race I shouldn't be punished for nobody else showing up. Like I said I like IHRA. When I broke in Dallas last year Frank gave me my entry fee and crew fee back. When I broke in Houston a few years ago NHRA said thanks for playing.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
Carl Juliano

Liked 62 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I've got to agree about TS & TD. I was very disappointed to learn it's just another bracket race. I never watched them, so assumed since they make such a big deal about their qualifying they actually raced heads up like the Alky cars. Their "show" would be a lot better if they actually raced heads up. Of course the beaters would stop showing up.
Yes Ed, its a bracket race after qualifying, just like S/SS. I agree the payout structure for all classes needs to be adjusted fairly. But if the TS "show" as you call it was heads up, it would be called "Pro Modified", which we all know is outta hand right now. Guys like me would just sell my ***** and just run S/G.(and I dont own a beater).
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Stubbs View Post
I agree with you Hagan, if IHRA doesnt up their payout they will continue to have low car counts.
Well, great! Looking forward to seeing all of you at Virginia and MIR for the Sportsman Spectacular races. $5,000 to win plus National event contingency. Everything you've asked for.

Quote:
what's going on in Bradenton
Vic, staying home to work. Business is insane right now, can't afford to take off on Thursday for a Divisional race.

Quote:
Sure, IHRA is more layed back, cuz nobody shows up. IHRA spends more time with you, cuz nobody shows up. IHRA starts late and ends early, cuz nobody shows up. You park close, cuz nobody shows up. You get it?
I call BS, because IHRA people, schedule, and parking were good 10 years ago, too.

Quote:
Their "show" would be a lot better if they actually raced heads up.Of course the beaters would stop showing up.
Guess people could say the same about S/SS. What 7-second car is a beater?

Quote:
Two years ago in Pine Valley there were 3 cars left. I was one of them. I lost to Dwayne Custer. I went to the tower and they said because of the car count we are only paying the winner and r/u.
There were 5 cars total. The posted payout was paid. "At 3 cars" was the 2nd round of eliminations. 5 cars or 100 cars, 2nd Round loser does not receive money.