GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:03 AM   #42
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,809 Times in 572 Posts
Default Re: Tuscon D7 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav View Post
The only other crash I know of was Chris Newman first round of top sportsman. His car is absolutely trashed as he rolled it multiple times through the lights. Both Chris and Ed were reported to be ok. It is always a ****ty day anyone hits a wall at the track.

There are definitely some bumps down between 900’ and 1000’ in the left lane that have been there to some extent for 15-20 years. There were plenty of fast cars going right down the track without any issues at all this weekend just like there is on any given week at our normal bracket races. The weather was beautiful all weekend. The coldest it probably was while cars were on the track was 55 and I don’t think it ever got much over 80. (I wouldn’t know for sure because I’m too stupid to use a weather station.) For a track that can get windy like Vegas it never had much more than a nice breeze. I didn’t see either crash happen so I wouldn’t want to speculate on what happened but for everyone that was complaining about the track sucking, they probably need to go work on their cars. There are plenty of tracks worse than Tucson on the NHRA schedule and not many track owners have put as much work into the track and try to create a welcoming environment as Jim has over the last couple of years and last 6 months getting it so racers weren’t parked in the dirt.

Thanks for all the pictures and reports while you were out there Ed. I was hoping to swing by and check out Ashton’s car before you guys hit the road.

Matt Hawk
I have to disagree with you this time..........
I felt track was NOT up to Par in Preparation.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #43
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX JOHN View Post
Super Gas car crashed in Qualifying and the Driver was seriously
hurt!
Unless you know of a car that crashed that I’m unaware of, the only super gas crash I know of is the one Paul described. Paul gave his update after talking with someone from Racers for Christ. It was reported over the speaker that he was alert, knew where he was, and who everyone was at the hospital. They were looking him over real good as it was a pretty serious crash but this is the first I’ve heard of any serious injury. They did cut him out of the car and brought a helicopter in. There was definitely no intent to downplay how bad the accident was by saying he was ok, but that’s the message that was given. I hope both him and Chris both have a quick recovery as I’m sure both are at a minimum sore and bruised. Hate to see that for anyone in the racing family.

We can agree to diasagree on the track. We had 7 cars in 5 different classes in our area that got down without any issue when we weren’t killing motors.

Matt
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #44
GTS340

Liked 1,069 Times in 334 Posts

As far as the Tucson raceway. I was on the other side of the track in some super thick gravel. After a run to get back to my pit was a pretty good adventure. They were spraying water but it made the gravel loose and huge ruts. You had to drive your car pretty hard just to get through the stones. I was running my engine 30 degrees hotter all weekend then I normal would do. Once in the staging lanes. All was good for me. Easy burn out, I never spun and straight down Broadway. Plenty of shut down and the scales were spot on.
Also Danny Gracia was there and we had spot inspections one run.
Weighed every run with fuel check every run. All was great to have and be a part of.
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #45
Pete Lanciers

Liked 563 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX JOHN View Post
I have to disagree with you this time..........
I felt track was NOT up to Par in Preparation.
John, I think you are onto something. Though the staff were both very accommodating and quick to respond as situations arose... I felt the groove seemed rather narrow.
Pete Lanciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #46
GTS340

Had a coyote spread some trash close to our pit area Friday night.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #47
sst7250

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

I was not there for a few reasons, however I can tell you there is more than a few guys in Top Sportsman that are VERY unhappy. 4 no shows for round one and 6 more no shows for round two, yes guys who won Rd1 elected not to run Rd2. I've talked to couple and they elected to sit out due to track conditions. A few have gone on pretty long rants on facebook about it as well stating they wont be back until it is proven it will be better/safe. The common thread is the track was an issue, and people "were doing things we normally don't, and probably should not be doing just to get down the track". 10 No shows in the first two round certainly says something. Just sayin

AS for the injuries I know Chris Newman(TS) was released from the hospital. As for Eddie I have heard he was still in the hospital with multiple injuries as of Monday by more than one person, and also heard he was out by several.

I know the Hawk family has a fleet of cars and runs Tucson all the time, maybe home field advantage but even just looking at the runs online at DRC you can see a lot of cars NOT making full hits in TS and Gas.

Last edited by sst7250; 03-05-2019 at 12:58 PM.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #48
GTS340

Time for a new surface. Its hard to know what every class is doing when your racing a car yourself. I was going 122 mph in the 1/4. I had no problems. If so I would have left too probably. I stood at the fence for two hours praying for a guy named Eddie who I never knew.

Paul
Old 03-07-2019, 02:18 AM   #49
mopacltd

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts

Think about this situation, Guys. Cold track, some blowing sand. No more than at LACR. And I raced a lot at LACR too. Sometimes Stuff happens and we as racers just need to say....I'm not going down the track. Mick Rice was informed and his statement was " it's not my track". Maybe it is time for all of us to rethink how important that "WALLY" is.
mopacltd is offline   Reply With Quote