HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racing Events > Events
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Div. 7 racers, R.M.R. has a BIG RACE 4 US!

[QUOTE=Mike Coe;247854]4. Mike Coe
5. Jim Hughes[/QUOTE

Great News - 2 more to the list!

1) Gary Hampton
2) L Rush
3) Paul (Jody) Plummer
4) Mike Coe
5) Jim Hughes
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Paul Plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry 6674 View Post
Paul you mentioned a while back that you car was a little slow to be competitive in nhra class racing. Maybe if you stayed closer to home and put that travel money in you car you could pick it up some. We know those Buicks can be good combos and in div. 6 you are not having to dodge a bunch of the DP's. Good luck which ever way you go.
Your thought train is correct in theory. Here are the issues with NHRA and the reason why I chose to set-up a crate motor stocker for IHRA:

1) NHRA meaningfully stopped enforcing rules a couple of decades ago which changed the face of stock eliminator racing and the associated costs. Additionally all of the cheating has resulted in the downward migration of all of the indexes and two years ago a further reduction of .3 in the indexes.
2) I would need to pick-up about 74 HP to be exact to have a chance to run with the fastest Buick Stocker in the country and still would be marginally competitive with other C cars in the country, I believe the current record is 10.25 in C/SA. The only way to do this is is to pay approximately $8K for a set of ported and covered heads and intake manifold. My car is alredy set-up with the lightweight trans, chassis & suspension mods, etc.
3) Per HRD, my cylinder head shop, "their is no-way to pick-up 74hp with a set of bone stock Buick cylinder heads and intake without a bunch of porting, covering and severely cutting intake and exhaust flanges to get the runner volumes back to spec.
4) I can afford to do this, however, HRD's & my personal moral and ethics will not allow me to knowingly violate the written rules no matter what the cost. I am not a herd follower so I do not care what everyone else is doing, not on aboard with "Its only illegal if they catch you" mentality or the one I like best " I just bought this engine from an engine builder, I don't know what is in it?
5) At the last division race at Spokane, there were 5 C/SA cars out of 21 racers and I had to shut the car off at 1000' every qualifying run to position myself at the bottom of the ladder in hopes of avoiding a heads-up race first round. In years past this was no problem as I was running .5-.6 under the index which was enough to play keep away.
6) Two years ago NHRA penalized those of us who run completely legal programs by dumping the indexes by .3 of a second. With my combination I am now a .2-.3 under car with very limited ability to play keep away.
7) To compare and contrast with IHRA, I used my same NHRA stock eliminator bottom end, added a set of unported cratemotor spec Buick replacement heads, intake manifold and Holley 850 carb per IHRA rules all at a cost of around $4K, checkout www.classracertech.com for hard costs and performance data associated with the conversion. The good news is that everything was manufactured in this century and I did not have to do any porting and covering BS and did not have to take out a second mortgage on my house to afford the go fast parts. .
8) Based on late season testing, my car will easily run 1 second under the index in F/CM or G/CM.
9) IHRA just added a divsion six for us here in the Northwest and Canada with at least 5 tracks within one days drive including 5 pro-am events and two national events.
10)You can drive right up to the gate at these events pay your money - no grade point BS and at the IHRA National events I have never been more than a half a block from the staging lanes. They treat us stock and super stock guys like royalty event though we are not the fan draw.
11) For me it is a no-brainer to run IHRA, No more shutting off at 1000', much cheaper to run, don't have to cheat to compete, get to use modern parts, get treated like a rock-star at every event.
12) I will continue to support our local track effort. Cindy and Charlie are good folks who are rebuilding our local racing programs here in Spokane and we all need to make it to the track a few times each year to help them in their efforts.

Have a great day!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Mike Coe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

6. Dane McIntosh
Mike Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coe View Post
6. Dane McIntosh
Updated List (3-23-2011)

1) Gary Hampton
2) L Rush
3) Paul (Jody) Plummer
4) Mike Coe
5) Jim Hughes
6) Dane McIntosh
7)
8)
9)
10)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

Harry, I'm glad that Paul's going to haul to SLC, to run this Nitro Jam event, and here's two reasons I feel he's going to do it:

1. The enhancements that NHRA graced us with included lowering our indexes .30 sec. IHRA (on the other hand), has left the indexes alone (as well as the classes, thus no running heads up with DP's and CJ's).

2. By supporting IHRA, we're letting NHRA know that we embrace competition out west, which may (eventually) get them to share the cost of racing with the pros, instead of sticking it to us sportsman racers all of the time (for the pros benefit).

Therefore, Paul's car (just like mine), will be more competitive against the indexes. Heck, I'll be hauling nearly that same distance (he's going to be), next week my darn self...I had made plans last year to move away from Az. to either D6 or back to D5. However, with the Tucson track embracing IHRA, and Salt Lakes offering for this race, I'm feeling good that we in the west coast, will now have more options for our racing dollars. Where you race is occasionally more important than how often you race....
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Smile Re: Div. 7 racers, R.M.R. has a BIG RACE 4 US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coe View Post
6. Dane McIntosh
Welcome aboard Mike, Jim and Dane! Bring Gary with ya ok?

Ok racers in D7, we only need a minimum of 3 more cars/trucks...we should easily be able to do this!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts

I'm in
Mike Graham SS/GT
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
L Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Graham View Post
I'm in
Mike Graham SS/GT
Mike, this is great news. We have ran each other in time trials before and look forward to seeing you in SLC. Larry Rush SS/DA 7427
L Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
L Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary Swensen SS/H is in.
L Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #20
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just spoke with Brian Sanderson in Salt Lake, here is the updated list with class designations, if something isn't correct just let me know:

Updated List (3-23-2011)

1) Gary Hampton - Stock
2) Larry Rush - Super Stock
3) Paul (Jody) Plummer - Stock
4) Mike Coe - Stock
5) Jim Hughes - Stock
6) Dane McIntosh - Stock ?
7) Brian Sanderson - Stock
8) Les Norton - Stock
9) John Percy - Super Stock
10) Bill Spens - Stock
11)
12)
13)
14)

I understand it, we should have a show - Ron Craft, please confirm via post.

Please continue with posting names and I will keep keep the list updated.