HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #1
Don Sofranko

Liked 111 Times in 28 Posts
Default Classic Videos from Atlanta Div II 1992 SS STK COMP enjoy!

With the passing of another racing legend, Woodro Josey, I thought I would throw up a video of him on track.
Then I decided to just do all my films, from 1 event from 1992, the Atlanta Divisional race. That race brought back a ton of good memories, and may be one reason why I started racing Super Stock L

Its like the great announcer Freddie Cain from Atlanta said, "if I ever get to be a zillionaire, I am gonna get two Chevy II 's, nine Bridges motors, and a hot line to Jerico!" Freddie is a member here, and I hope he is doing well. I would recommend him for any private non sanctioned special class race. I am unsure why he never got a shot at National event calling, but he is as good as any of the good guys. I love his Super Stock calling captured here.

I think this race was very special and maybe one of the best events I ever attended. In hindsight, its a look at pre internet, pre junior gunslingers, pre LS cars, pre blown cars, pre radial, pre automatic HP, etc... Remember when stockers were actually slow? Then came Keener and Arnold Greene!
Back before the motor home arms races, they ran this event before Gainesville. Many snowbirds were on the way to FLA, and dropped in before what was the east coast US Nationals. Now look at the event... the Gators has never been the same since who knows when? Well back in 1992, you had to be at both, to enjoy the party. The Commerce Ga. event was what I expected to find down south, awesome gearheads, country boys, and an announcer that sounded southern! I think Freddie is possibly the best ever to handle a mic!

So many of these guys have passed, so lets celebrate and remember all the guys we looked up to. I think the film I took here is priceless, and might give everyone a clue as to why racing has gone off to something very different. Better now? You decide. Lots of lockdown entertainment here!

The idea I had back then was simple, get a great camcorder (a 1100$ S-VHS Panasonic) and pay for it by selling tapes, and in the process, meet people, and have fun. It was a valuable experience to break into racing a class car, by watching and getting help from some good people. These tapes were a bunch of work, and they still have quality. You have no idea how hard it is to hold a camera on your shoulder for 45 minutes to an hour straight, and catch everything. These films are unedited, and have no post editing, they were made to go right into copy mode, and 2 hours is the tape limit on VHS. So these films were copied to my DVD recorder, then split in half, and uploaded in 15 minute sections. Sorry they aren't all continuous, and you can either just start at my channel top page, and click on the film section you want, or pick them up in sequence this way.

Also, if you reply to this post, do it with no quotes, as it repeats the links I posted and clogs up the board bad. Just reply or comment in the simple form. Its the "post reply" button, not the quote button. Thanks!

My channel top page name is donsof
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7I...rukDY5g/videos

stock order 1-8 15 minute videos split to make 2 hours total
section 1

section 2

section 3

section 4

section 5 start round 1

section 6 rounds 1-2

section 7 stock late rounds

section 8 stock late rounds

Comp sections 1-4
section 1

section 2

section 3

section 4

Super stock is all loaded below

section 1 Super Stock

section 2 Super Stock

section 3 Super Stock

section 4 Super Stock

section 5 Super Stock Round 1 continued

section 6 Super Stock

section 7 Super Stock

section 8 Super Stock Late rounds with Stock and Comp final

Thats all

Last edited by Don Sofranko; 11-29-2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Don Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
Don Sofranko

Default Re: Classic Videos from Atlanta Div II 1992 SS STK COMP enjo

Again,

IF.... you reply to this post, do it with NO quotes, as it repeats the links I posted and clogs up the board bad. I see people do this on some of the photo threads, and its not needed. This thread is slow to load as it is.

Just reply or comment in the simple form. Its the "post reply" button, not the quote button.
Happy Turkey Day, I am watching racing and maybe some football later.

Thanks and enjoy!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Joe Schaechter

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for the videos Don - Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

Enjoyed the videos. Sadly, Freddie Cain passed away a few months ago after a long bout with cancer. He was a great announcer and related well with the stock/super stock classes. Freddie and his partner Ronnie Redd ran some very good running 283 cars back in the day.
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyparker View Post
Enjoyed the videos. Sadly, Freddie Cain passed away a few months ago after a long bout with cancer. He was a great announcer and related well with the stock/super stock classes. Freddie and his partner Ronnie Redd ran some very good running 283 cars back in the day.
Sorry to hear Freddie is gone. RIP
Old 11-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,449 Times in 1,954 Posts

Thanks for hard work on the videos.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
Jerry Terry

Liked 448 Times in 132 Posts

Awesome videos Don thanks

Jerry
Retired 3490 3492 STK SS SST
Jerry Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:20 PM   #8
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

These are bleeping awesome! Thank you so much for posting!
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
Chris Hill

Liked 238 Times in 25 Posts

Thanks for the videos. I got to see myself as a skinny 14 year old again.

One odd thing that happened at this race and it’s on video in SS. Mike Thomas in GT/C lost the rear window at 1,000 ft in his Beretta. I guess Berettas were not designed to run 140 mph, lol. I remember witnessing it live almost 30 years ago.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #10
Don Sofranko

Chris,
I never even saw that part, and there are a few other things you will notice after several watches. I also thought Westcott had possession of that Beretta by then, but it must have been shortly after that. That car tore up Div 3 for several years, with CW winning the division one year.

Also its funny how all those SS quadrajet racers, cracked the throttle 5 times before staging! F.I. makes that a thing of the past right? Wally Clark was the king of whacking the throttle for years.

I was really impressed with the Larry Kopp B/SR, but was horrified to see that crash. I never heard if it affected the now late Larry Kopp, and how long it took to recover from what looked like a direct hit to the guardrail. I thought the car went over the rail, and down the embankment, but the main section seems to have stayed on track.

I wonder where that SS/K Chevy II, that Rick Young was driving ended up at? Seems like 4th gear only connected 1 of 4-5 times? Anyone know if the Tax Group guys still race? That car looked and sounded cool. Its possibly the old Wilcox ADCO car? I know Ronnie Smith drove it at Indy in 1990 I think.

Can you name all the guys, on this film, that have passed?
We already know Woodro, Bullet Bob, Larry Kopp, Freddie Cain, have left us.
Notice the late Mark Yamarino driving the original ex Checkmate modified car in SS/FM.
Oh yeah Charlie Taylor passed as well I think?

Last edited by Don Sofranko; 11-30-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Liked