HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts
Default LS oil pan

Need to replace my oil pan 99 LS Camaro, and need to get it done quick, and I think I'll just go with a factory type new pan.I think there may be some legal after market pans out there. But a little worried about having fitment issues, or having to make modifications to the car. Why would I need to carry around 7 1/2 qts of oil in my stocker? Are there any performance gains to be had with a aftermarket pan?
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Mike Mans

Liked 296 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: LS oil pan

Hi Eddie,

The Moroso 21149 is a great oil pan that will likely help with power, but the real benefit is the baffling and oil control within the pan for keeping oil at the pickup when leaving the starting line as well as when braking after the finish line. I worked with Scott at Moroso to get this pan approved and he helped make it a very affordable price. We previously ran a stock type oil pan, but the effort to put oil control devices inside the cast pans was never as nice or elegant as Moroso can give you right out of the box. And I can say first hand - the pan fits like a dream. We made sure that it is dimensionally identical on the outside (near the front crossmember especially) to fit in a stock car without any modifications.

Mike Mans

Last edited by Mike Mans; 10-07-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Mike Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
e vassar

Hi Mike.
Its Everett..thats OK I get Eddie Edward..etc all the time.
So im assuming I will need a different pick up tube? What about gasket, dipstick tube and filter?
Should I leave the stock scraper in place?
Old 10-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mans View Post
.......but the real benefit is the baffling and oil control within the pan for keeping oil at the pickup when leaving the starting line as well as when braking after the finish line.
This!
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #5
Mike Mans

Liked 296 Times in 48 Posts

Man, I have no idea why I typed Eddie - I apologize about that Everett!

As for the pickup, I purchased their pickup part number 24050 to go with that pan and it fit nicely.

They also make a windage tray - but I would just use the stock GM tray if you already have one. You may need to do some notching, but hopefully nothing too heavy on the fabrication side.

To be honest, I don't run a scraper - but I would say that if you like what you've got - keep it.

It uses a stock GM oil pan gasket, so nothing different.

For a filter, it also allows you to run a stock OEM replacement filter. The filter mount is a well-designed billet piece with o-rings that seals up well and gets the filter as far away from the headers as they can. I don't think any header tube modification would be necessary - but check as always.

It's rare in this stuff to find a product that fits and works really well - and I've had VERY good luck with the Moroso products. These guys have their ducks in a row and their craftsman ship is hard to beat. And if you want a testimonial, this pan (unmodified) was used to run 9.80 in A/S at Indy.

Mike
Mike Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:28 AM   #6
e vassar

Thanks Im going to give it a try. Makes sense to go ahead and do the upgrade now.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
L79racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I run a factory CTSV pan and windage tray with an improved racing baffle in it. If you have the clearance its been good pan for me.
L79racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
e vassar

I went with the moroso pan. I have a really good mechanic that helps us with the cars. He said it didn't exactly jump on there. Some minor clearance issues here and there mostly with the new pickup tube. I had to put 6 qts of oil in it to barely register on the stock dipstick,have been told I can run 4 1/2 - 5 qts in it.
I knew the old pan had a rear corner broke off, somebody had addressed this by putting a couple big washers on that corner bolt. But I was struggling to figure out why I had oil around the engine mount area. After examining the old pan we found 2-3 hairline cracks up very close to the front! Hard landings?...maybe..I doubt that would cause it. Maybe at some point when the pan was doing street car duty ..car ran over something...or just defective casting. But no more leaks! No more smoke!