Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts
Default Which tire to use on trailer

Any opinions on which trailer tire to use on my 38' goose 235/80/16. radial
Bill Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
John Cantlay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Which tire to use on trailer

If you have 8 lug wheels my opinion is a G rated trailer tire. It will hold about 100 to 110 lbs. of air pressure and the weight rating is high.
If you have a 6 lug wheel go with an E rated trailer tire. It will hold about 80 lbs. of air and the weight rating is adequate.
John Cantlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 829 Times in 289 Posts

Bill

We have had the best luck with Michelin XPS Rib‎...they wear like iron and take heat well
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
SS3718

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Goodyear G614....we have a 40' gooseneck!
SS3718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: Which tire to use on trailer

Do a search here for "trailer tires" and you'll get several discussions & opinions on them.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Steel belted 10 ply 16" Michelins made my 24' trailer much more stable meeting 18 wheelers on 2 lanes. I learned the 15" trailer tires that came on mine were speed rated at 65 MPH. I do often tow faster than that. I now have LT tires, they are speed rated at 110. I no longer smell hot rubber when I walk by it when I stop for fuel. They tow better, no noticeable wear.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
GSlaton

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

The Goodyear G614 trailer tire is about as it good as it gets. I have used these tires on 2 different trailers and ended any tire problems. They are very expensive and are slightly taller than your 235/80-16 tires. To my way of thinking they are worth the expense for the piece of mind. I don't like changing tires on the side of the road and in 100 degree heat. (you can guess how I know) By the way make sure your wheels are capable of handling 110 psi. A Goodyear tire dealer told me to always use metal valve stems on anything higher than 50 psi. Of course I lost 2 tires because of the valve stem failing before he told me that little tidbit.

Gary
GSlaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
Kevin Panzino

Liked 547 Times in 105 Posts

Find the highest rated, maximum ply tire you can get in your size. I have been on the wrong side of trailer tire incidents with several trailers, not just race trailers, but equipment trailers as well. Literally find the highest load rated tire you can get in your size from a reputable company (not Chinese junk) and spend the money. I refuse to re-learn this lesson again.....

My race trailer tires are now 6 lug load range E, 80 Psi rated, as Mr Cantlay has suggested (originally came with Range D 65 psi., two failures in 10 years.)

My heavy equipment trailer now has 8 lug load range F, 95 Psi rated tires. It came with load range E tires, and I've also suffered two failures with them. No more issues with F rated at 95PSi tires, at 75 MPH loaded to the hilt.

Trailer tires are NOT something you save money on.
Just my honest (and hard learned) opinion.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #9
Bernie Cunningham

Liked 50 Times in 16 Posts

We had this same discussion several years ago.

A lot has changed in the tire market since then, natural rubber costs are at a premium so most 'new' tires will not last as long as they used to because of synthetic materials, expect 6 year max. It all comes back to cost of manufacturing and marketing.

I've learned that you'll be hard pressed to 'wear em out' cause the side walls can't handle it anymore and you'll lose em from sidewall degradation, so, for that reason I'll stick with my choice of the Bridgestone R250 Duravise. It was modeled from a big rig tire with an amazing side wall structure.They, also, are not cheap!

We all had big issues with the Goodyear G614's back in the day so interest was long lost and gone there, may have gotten better.
My friend Dan F likes the Firestone Transfoce HT, I have those on my tow vehicle by default and you'll still see the side wall crack prematurely just like any of the new stuff.

My suggestion is to always have the tires mounted with the date codes on the outside so you can monitor the age. While I live in So Cal, I find it a benefit to try keep the sun of em too. Cheers.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 AM   #10
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

I blew tires on my 34 ft tag like crazy...they were 15 inch. I bought 16, 6 lug rims and mounted the used tires from my tow vehicle. 99 F250 diesel. End of problems. I run the truck tires until they have about 30 percent left....then put them on the trailer. The trailer does not seam to wear as much as the truck. 235 85 16 , 10 ply.. (ps.. I haven't blown a tire in 3 years...because I haven't raced in 3 years..lol)

Last edited by SStockDart; 07-12-2017 at 02:22 AM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote