HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
Gary Smith

Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
Exclamation Adam, Wade, and Chris

Guys, read all my posts to this thread carefully. I did not cuss at, or even point at the Dodge dealerships, nor the used car "broker", but Chrysler Corporation Warranty Group. And you insinuate vehicles should be serviced regularly at dealerships. Yeah, right. How many people, especially those of us who normally work on our own cars, take them to dealerships JUST to make good on the warranty? I've worked in service departments for two, and know better because of what goes on there. Regardless, if the vehicle is serviced as suggested by the owners manual, not driven in an abusive manner, how can it be any other problem than quality? And I've owned 2 late model mini-vans with Dodge logos on them that encountered problems IMO at too low of mileage. I'm sorry, but a piece of **** is a piece of ****. And if Chrysler doesn't want to make good on their quality issues and offer consolation to an unclear warranty program, then I'm entitled to my opinion and whom I share it with.

Last edited by Gary Smith; 11-25-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Get the names right, Gary (talking to myself again LOL!)
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Adam Strang

Liked 85 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler

Well ,if you`ve worked for two different dealerships then you`d know that warranty programs change all the time,every year is different.They`re no more vague than any other manufacturer,thats the warranty they offered in `02 .No one insinuated that you have to go back to the dealership for all of your work,you could do it all yourself in your yard as long as you have the receipts to prove what you have done.The `07 warranty program is a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Sounds like you have the skills to fix it yourself so put a converter in it. If you say the converter failed then the rest of the trans is probably okay.

If it`s such a piece of **** why did you buy two!?!?

Last edited by Adam Strang; 11-25-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Adam Strang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

post deleted by Chris.

Last edited by Chris DeGidio; 11-25-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Chris DeGidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
Gary Smith

Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Strang View Post
Well ,if you`ve worked for two different dealerships then you`d know that warranty programs change all the time,every year is different.They`re no more vague than any other manufacturer,thats the warranty they offered in `02 .No one insinuated that you have to go back to the dealership for all of your work,you could do it all yourself in your yard as long as you have the receipts to prove what you have done.
Quote:

The one person they don`t help is someone who has shown no loyalty to the dealership and have clearly shown that they haven`t taken care of the vehicle.

And remember another thing,when something is under warranty or recalled the person that is really taking the hit is the tech.Labor times are cut back big time under warranty.Maybe that`s contributing to the recession also.

The `07 warranty program is a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Sounds like you have the skills to fix it yourself so put a converter in it. If you say the converter failed then the rest of the trans is probably okay.

If it`s such a piece of **** why did you buy two!?!?
Adam, I fully understand how warranty programs change from year to year. I also learned years ago how a small customer has potential to become a big one. My argument here encompasses the "intra year" warranty changes Chrysler instituted during the 2002 model year. Another issue is I'm a "Ford person" who happens to own a Chrysler product, and have been accustomed to Ford's, although dated, very clear 1/10 bumper to bumper and 5/50 powertrain warranty programs.

I've owned other vehicles over the years, new and used, with very clear and reputable warranty programs & extended packages, etc. that carried over to new owners. The first Caravan I owned, purchased new BTW, developed electrical issues caused by a dealer installed security system. Next the A/C at 47k miles (evaporator). Then the valvetrain (lifters and cam) at 65k miles, which was the final straw. Although Chrysler shouldn't be responsible for the first problem, shouldn't they be held accountable for it's dealerships? Aren't they the representitive who interface between the factory and customer?

As far as doing the work myself, even the mechanic I deal with is smart enough to "farm out" transmission tasks knowing what kind of pitfalls there are with new EC trans. I've always hated automatics, and haven't gotten any easier over the years, not to mention I don't have the luxury of learning at this point.

To answer the POS issue, after unloading the first, I vowed never to buy another. However I purchased the 2002 against my better judgement after being talked into it by a family friend who happens to be the broker, as well as a 2002 Caravan owner. I am a real fool for giving Chrysler a second chance, when I should have gone with a Toyota or Honda. In all fairness, that choice is based on market trends which we all know, continue to show a decline with America's "big 3" in service and quality, while Jap brands continue to improve.

One thing is perfectly clear ..I'm paying for it and Chrysler isn't. They've elected to use their warranty language to their advantage. Saves them money right now, but cost them a customer in the long run. End of story.
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #15
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler; shame on you...

Here's some science fiction that wouldn't be so bad, except evey word is true:

After having tranmission failures at 29,000 and 69,000 miles (both fixed under warranty) my '90 Grand Caravan's "Ultradrive" (A-604) automatic went into "LIMP-HOME" mode (2nd-gear, only) at 135K miles...66,000 miles after its last replacement at my friendly dealership.

I take it to my dealer, and asked if they could repair it.

Dealer: "It's a rebuilt; we don't work on rebuilts."

Me: "You are the one who rebuilt it."

Dealer: Doesn't matter... we don't work on rebuilts. We'll replace it with a new transmission.

Me: How much?

Dealer "$2,100.00, including converter..

Me: It doesn't need a new converter.

Dealer: All new tranmisssions get a new converter; may have detritus in the old converter that could harm the new transmission.

Me I'll be right back.

Dealer: OK... I'll be here.

I "sprint" over to the parts department

Counter man: Can I help you?

Me: How much will you charge me for a new A-604 out th door?

Counter man: We don't have "new" transmissions; only rebuilts.

Me: How much for a rebuilt?

Counter Man: $1,600.00.

Me: Can you order me a "NEW" transmission; I don't mind waiting a few days??? Don't want a rebuilt.

Counter man; I TOLD you; we don't have, nor do we have any way to GET, a "NEW" transmission... only rebuilts.

Me: Thank you for your time.

"Sprinting" back to Dealer spokes-person... pant, pant, pant...gasp...

Dealer: Can I help you (looking at me like he'd never seen me before, in his entire life.)

Me: Yes; your parts person just informed me that he cannot obtain a "NEW": A-604...

Dealer,: So??? (Obviously not remembering what he'd told me, 5 minutes ago).

Me: You told me you were going to install a "NEW" A-604 in my Caravan for $2100....

Dealer, yes...

Me; Where are you going to get it???

Dealer: We get all our transmission from the parts department.

Me: HELLO.... He JUST told me that he cannot in any way, shape, or form GET a "New" transmission like I need...

Dealer: Well, it's a rebuilt, but it's a FACTORY rebuild...

Me; So, you won't work on the transmission in my Caravan because it's a rebuilt, but you'll replace it with ANOTHER rebuilt???

Dealer: silence... loking at ceiling, now...

Me: WHICH YOU WON'T work on, when it comes back "sick"???

Dealer, loooking at floor... saying nothing.

Me, exiting Mopar dealership for the LAST TIME...

Post-script:
One thing that happens to these transmissions is this (happened to mine 3 times):

These A-604 transmissions are electronicaly controlled. The computer monitors the shift action each time a shift is made, noting how long it takes for the clutch pack to fill, thereby, effecting the shift (in micro-seconds.)
As the face material wears off the clutch disks, it takes more fluid to displace the missing material. This takes more time... filling the swept area.
At some point, the computer decides. "This clutch pack is too worn to function correctly... too much material gone... it's worn out."

That decision by the computer translates into action by the program that disables any forward gear but second... called "LIMP-HOME-MODE"
No first, third or fourth gear...

The dealership mechanics have a reader that can perform a "clutch-volume-index test" that will tell them how worn these clutches are (from data relative to how long the clutch-pack takes to apply." It's a test that can be performed with the transmission in the car; just drive in and hook it up.

Armed with the data from that test, the technician can deduce whether the reason this transmission went ito LIMP HOME was that the facing material is gone off the specific clutch pack he tested (he can test them all.)

What would it take to fix a transmission with this "worn clutch" malady? Not much...

Remove tranny... disassemble, and replace clutch disks in the offending clutch pack(s) (and any others that were questionable), renew seals, and button it up and put it back in the car.

But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
"WE DON'T WORK ON REBUILDS (even though we were the ones who rebuilt it!)" says the dealership...

I'll race a MOPAR 'til the day I die, but NEVER buy another (new) one...

Fool me once, shame on you...
Fool me twice? Ain't gonna happen... They're STILL USING THAT TRANSMISSION...

Take a Consumers' Report magazine (annual auto issue) and look at the frequency of repair records for Mopar transmissions. Sad.......

I had a 1980 Ford Fairmont that I drove ~215,000~ miles (that's no typo) and never even changed the fluid (much less the filter) in its C-3, and it shifted as well the day I got rid of it, as the day I got it (Hertz rent-a-Car) at 18,000 miles...

I am not proud of that, but I was in my "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode back then...
I only mention the Fairmont for comparison as to what a transmission CAN be...

Last edited by bill dedman; 11-26-2007 at 12:41 AM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #16
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Not hi jacking your thread but I have a 2000 ford F250 DIESEL superduty pu that has 435,000 miles on it----other than normal stuff like brakes, shocks, battery etc.and the obligatory $1200 tie rod ends/ball joints that ALL superduties have at 50,000 miles-- NO problems at all NONE ZIP NZDA since day one---Now I'm not a Ford guy but I hafta think that maybe Mopar has a trans problem much like Ford does with the ball joints and the leaking windshields and bad transmissions on the Taurus---neither one will admit to it but they know it's there and just nurse it along --People trade their cars off not to a mopar dealer cuz Mopar dealers arec savvy to whats going on and just maybe they will sell you another car. They all(every manufacturer) have their problems some more some less it just depends on the car and the company---Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

You know fellows, I have been a dealer for 40 years and have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of both Chrysler and the industry and I can give you 48 pages of the good, the bad, and the ugly on the subject. And I do believe you have killed this horse. Maybe you should quit beating on him before you wear yourself out.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #18
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

I was the service writer/ branch manager for a Mr. Transmission outlet here in Canada. I can tell you without a doubt the Caravan is the number 1, most frequently overhauled unit. In second place were the Taurus / Sable trans. They were just a poorly engineered unit and Chyrsler has scrambled for years trying different fluids ( ATF3,ATF 4 etc) in an attempt to get away from persistent shudder problems and customer comebacks on relatively new units. I wouldn't advise anyone in my immediate family to purchase one , just like the GM vans with the dreaded 3400 intake gasket nightmare. Fortunately when you see enough failures you get to realize which models to avoid.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #19
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I agree with Jeff...the horse is dead.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #20
ol pig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Angry Re: Chrysler

It ain't over yet!! Yes everybody has issues with all makes, but when I hear the lame *** "domestic is junk and jap **** is gods gift" It certainly gets my dander up!
Bad enough hearing it from brainless automotively challenged morons who blame a car for them locking the keys in it etc, but hearing it from supposedly informed racers???
HAS ANYBODY HEARD ABOUT FORD NOW BEING AHEAD OF TOYOTA WITH REGARDS TO QUALITY???
This is from JD POWERS and other numerous sources!

HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF THE NEW PIECE OF **** TUNDRA AND HOW IT REALLY IS???
For your reading pleasure;
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...res-i-am-club/

Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/Kwasted/petition.html

The owner comments with the petition signatures:
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe......i?Kwasted&1

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...lgate-failure/

Another problem is transmission shudder...followed by transmission failure. Bummer.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...sion-failures/

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news...ons/page1.html

They were also kicked off the Consumer Reports "Recommended" list.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/16/t...eliability-ra/

In short, honda is #1, nissan is #2 and FORD is #3!
And in case you think I'm pushing ford, check this out;
January Car and Driver.

The "10 Best" winners for 2008:

BMW 3-series
Cadillac CTS
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Malibu
Honda Accord
Honda Fit
Mazda MX-5
Mazdaspeed 3
Porsche Boxster/Cayman
VW GTI

3 gm's and NO TOYOTA!!!

TOYOTA QUALITY!!
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071114/auto_...yota.html?.v=1

The list goes on and on about tundra cams failing, tailgate buckling,choppy ride,tire failures,tranny problems,etc,etc

Toyota was good at building a single platform APPLIANCE, but now stepping up to be a full line manufacturer has them finding out how easy it is.

**** jap **** and their "superior race" builders.

Yes I'm venting, I know three people now who have bought toyota's in the last 2 years and their cars were junk. 2 replaced them with domestic's and the third bought a honda because, in her words" aren't the japanese just better at making cars"? Yeah were too stupid to build cars cause we have round eyes!
ol pig is offline   Reply With Quote