HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Gary Smith

Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
Default Chrysler

Something I'd like to share for anyone looking to buy a "new" Chrysler product as a daily driver. The trans in my wife's '02 Caravan just bit the dust at 59k (converter). Being we bought it used from an auto broker, it came with supplementary Mopar documentation boasting a 7yr, 70k powertrain warranty for all 2002 Chrysler vehicles. However the warranty book (downloaded at the Dodge website) shows a 3yr-36k "limited basic warranty" with no reference to powertrain. So after 4 calls to Chrysler looking for clarification, the agent did mention a non-transferable 7/100 promotion from 2002. She then could only offer an apology, admitting even though it doesn't state it, the "basic" warranty does mean powertrain information and nonetheless declined the 7/70 commitment. I Guess Chrysler really wants out of the auto business.

BTW this is the second Caravan we've owned, both giving us trouble. The first was a '97 that literally fell apart around itself at 68k miles (numberous electrical, corrosion, and valve train issues). In fact, over 14 years, the most reliable daily drivers my wife and I owned(except for the Mustang) have been Jap vehicles.
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
crewchiefpro

Default Re: Chrysler

Too bad, I had 3 of them and they gave me great service. I got rid of them at around 100k miles and they ran great.

I never had one in for anything then entire time I owned them.

My 2005 300 has been great also.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

My '90 Grand Caravan's "A-604 ULTRAGLIDE" 4-speed, electronically-controlled automatic transmission bit the dust the first time at 35,000 miles; again at 69,000 miles, and again at 135,000 miles.

That transmission had given owners so much grief since being introduced in 1989, that Chrysler, at that time, had a 70,000-mile, 7-year warranty on it.... so, they fixed the transmission under warranty (free) the first two times.

The next one ($2,000.00- worth) was gonna be on me.

I told the prospective buyer exactly what was wrong with it, and sold it for $1,000.00.

I'll stick with 904's, thank you...
Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Let's not throw on the gloves just yet.... The person at Chrysler is correct.You bought the vehicle used from a broker and didn't apply for any extended warranty.That's their fault?? The 7/70 warranty was not on all 2002 vehicles,it went into effect around April or May of 2002 and it wasn't transfered to used vehicles.The vehicle is 5 years old,and the warranty is 3/36....not sure what the problem is.Granted the converter failing at 59K is very unusual,but man made parts do fail.It doesn't help your situation though.

BTW...I have a '02 Ram with 98K,no problems with it at all,1999 Jeep with 112K,again no problems with it either.Have had several other Chrysler products bought new and used,repeating again,no problems with them.I would buy a Chrysler product again with no hesitation.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Gary Smith

Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Richie Stevens Quote From NHRA.com...

Citing a 30-percent cutback in Mopar's entire racing budget that has trickled down to his multi-car racing operation, Schumacher called Stevens last Friday and informed him that he wouldn't be fielding his J&J Racing-powered Dodge Stratus R/T in 2008 unless another sponsor shows up to fill the void. Earlier this season, Stevens was informed by longtime associate sponsor Valspar that they too were eliminating its sponsorship.
Guess this shouldn't come as a surprise. As our nation faces a recession, I'm still miffed Chrysler/Mopar isn't reviewing situations such as mine in order to maintain brand loyalty. Even the service writer I spoke with at the local Dodge dealership laughed at the warranty program.
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Adam Strang

Liked 85 Times in 19 Posts

I agree with Chris,you bought the van used and didn`t apply for any extended warranty.Why is that Chrysler`s fault? 9 times out of 10 when a customer calls Chrysler looking for help with a vehicle that is out of warranty they take care of it.The one person they don`t help is someone who has shown no loyalty to the dealership and have clearly shown that they haven`t taken care of the vehicle.

And remember another thing,when something is under warranty or recalled the person that is really taking the hit is the tech.Labor times are cut back big time under warranty.Maybe that`s contributing to the recession also.

The lock up probably failed in the converter so put a new one in and be done with it.

Last edited by Adam Strang; 11-25-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Adam Strang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Adam and Chris, as a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep service mgr for over 7 years, you are both spot on. Most of these type problems stem from someone who didnt purchase from a dealer and bought from an uninformed local car lot. The dealer always gets the black eye for the failures and the car lots lack of knowledge........

I would recommend before you buy ANY car (new or used) nowadays, talk with a lead tech at the car brand of your choice and ask a couple of quick questions, its money in the bank.....

Happy Holidays everybody....
Wade O
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
Joe Demarais

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before I Bought Something New, I Talked To My Main Mechanic, Tom Schmidt (comp Racer) And Only One Word Came Out, Toyota. Of Course, He's Japanese, So That May Have Had Something To Do With It!!!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
denny harvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hay Joe,your mechanic may be on to something..two years ago we unloaded our 4 dodge trucks at work and got 3 new toyotas.our [ out of service ] went from 12 days in 2 years down to 1 day [ flat tire ]..no fan of the rice trucks but the boss who pays the bills is becoming one...lol...
denny harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
My '90 Grand Caravan's "A-604 ULTRAGLIDE" 4-speed, electronically-controlled automatic transmission bit the dust the first time at 35,000 miles; again at 69,000 miles, and again at 135,000 miles..
In 70,000 miles it goes out TWICE....and you keep it ??????
AMAZING..........you didn't percive additional problems ??? :-)
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote