HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
HEMIDARTDAVE

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Contact info

I may have asked this B4, but I'll try again. Does anyone have contact info for a Dave Lewis or his son. They are/were from Newport News, VA, and raced a Super Stock Hemi Dart years ago. Thanks.
HEMIDARTDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Contact info

Are you thinking of Dave Lewis who owned the Hemi Dart that was driven by Dan "Smoker" Smith? I beleive the name of the car was "Big Red." If so, Dave passed away some years ago. His son still lives in the Newport News area. The car is owned by someone else now. "Smoker" was inducted into the East Coast Drag Times Hall of Fame a few years ago and still attends the event each year in Henderson, NC. Hope that helps you.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
HEMIDARTDAVE

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

That might be correct. The car was originally the Bob Banning Dart. Do you know who owns the car now? It was a 4 speed car originally. Thanks for the info.
HEMIDARTDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Max62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave has been gone for a while now. His son's business is Dave's Automotive in Newport News Virginia. The driver of the Big Red cars back then was Dan Smoker, not Smith. Smoker is his last name. He lives in the Yorktown area of Virginia. They ran a 65 Plymouth and a 68 Barracuda. I don't remember a 68 Dart.
Max62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

There's a "Dave's Auto Repair" listed in the Peninsula Yellow Pages at 2512 West Pembroke Ave. in Hampton, Virginia (which is just over the border from Newport News). The number is 757-380-0927.

Poquoson Motors is still the Chrysler/Jeep dealer in Hampton and Dunkum's Auto Machine is still located on Jefferson Ave. in Newport News.

Hope this helps!

Lew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigRed.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	12567  
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default '68 Hemi Dart - contact info.

I'm also curious if anymore info has panned out on the missing Bob Banning's Super Stock '68 Hemi Dart.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 12-13-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max62 View Post
Dave has been gone for a while now. His son's business is Dave's Automotive in Newport News Virginia. The driver of the Big Red cars back then was Dan Smoker, not Smith. Smoker is his last name. He lives in the Yorktown area of Virginia. They ran a 65 Plymouth and a 68 Barracuda. I don't remember a 68 Dart.
I don't ever recall seeing any photos of a '68 Hemi Dart called 'Big Red'...but who knows, does anyone have any additional info on this one.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
bob george

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIDARTDAVE View Post
That might be correct. The car was originally the Bob Banning Dart. Do you know who owns the car now? It was a 4 speed car originally. Thanks for the info.
That car was a made car from a Dart,not one of the original LO 23M,If my recollection is correct.It was not a 270 body,and had marker lights in the front fenders.It was a long time ago,and my mind may not be so good,I also think it had a finish panel on the trunk.They did have a few different Darts.
bob george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
Frito

Liked 119 Times in 40 Posts

I was just thinking the guy with two first names would probably know!!! The rear fenderwells kinda give it away as not a LO car.