Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Question about seats in a Stocker

Ok here is what happened.

We ran our coronet wagon at 3 races with 2 different sets of seats. The car came with a low back seat with a head rest. We put a High back Duster/Dart seat in it with a high back. Below are the weights.

High Back 42 lbs each 84 lbs total
Low back 34 lbs each 68 lbs total

Bench 59 lbs total

We figured the high back was a little safer and since you have a head rest if you did crash well that was our thinking. You could order a Coronet with a Bench or Buckets with a factory center console with a floor shifter. But the bucket was a lower seat.

After a racer told the tech people at Rockingham I had the wrong seats in the car i got approached this weekend at Piedmont and was told to find the right seats. My dad can fabricate anything so a head rest is no problem, I'm running a seat that is heavier than anything else I could run. It would take a die hard mopar guy to know the difference in these seats. I dont care what we run, we have purchased 4 sets of Mopar buckets in the past 3 months anyway, but at 200.00 per seat to get covered this isnt cheap. So know what do you think about your fellow racer that is going to nick pick my stocker. He better bring his gaskets to Jackson and Darlington, Ill double the 500 I wasted having seats redone and see his piston and rod just for the HELL of it.
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

If your looking for a set of bucket seats with a head rest, take a look
at a 2004/2005 Dodge Stratus. I picked up a set out of a Stratus
and they are lighter than stock 74 duster seats, they have an adjustable
headrest and even though it is not usable with a roll bar they tilt back.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
motohead1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28-69 View Post
Here's question for you guys? I'm 6'5" and with helmit on, my head is cocked sideways and up against roof of car. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going todo to fix problem. With factory seat there's not really anything I can do to lower seat. At least I don't think. And I don't recall them having recline seats for camaro.
On the 67 chevy II we are working on we cut 1/2" out of the front legs and 1" out of the rear legs of the stock tracks and welded them back together. doesnt sound like much but it will get you down in the car some.
motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbjr View Post
Ok here is what happened.

We ran our coronet wagon at 3 races with 2 different sets of seats. The car came with a low back seat with a head rest. We put a High back Duster/Dart seat in it with a high back. Below are the weights.

High Back 42 lbs each 84 lbs total
Low back 34 lbs each 68 lbs total

Bench 59 lbs total

We figured the high back was a little safer and since you have a head rest if you did crash well that was our thinking. You could order a Coronet with a Bench or Buckets with a factory center console with a floor shifter. But the bucket was a lower seat.

After a racer told the tech people at Rockingham I had the wrong seats in the car i got approached this weekend at Piedmont and was told to find the right seats. My dad can fabricate anything so a head rest is no problem, I'm running a seat that is heavier than anything else I could run. It would take a die hard mopar guy to know the difference in these seats. I dont care what we run, we have purchased 4 sets of Mopar buckets in the past 3 months anyway, but at 200.00 per seat to get covered this isnt cheap. So know what do you think about your fellow racer that is going to nick pick my stocker. He better bring his gaskets to Jackson and Darlington, Ill double the 500 I wasted having seats redone and see his piston and rod just for the HELL of it.
i like the way you think
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
herbjr
VIP Member

The funny thing is I looked at 8 stockers on Saturday and mentioned it to a few racers, only one had the correct year seats for the body type. So who knows what the rule is. I guess I just need to put the low back seat in it.

Herb Jr
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Herb,
I'll bet your dad backs me on this, you need to be a little more assertive. When questioned, throw it back at them. The book says "factory type". To that you respond "it doesn't say correct application for make, model & year" (as do other area's in the book). Really, this is not a grey area. The purpose, I believe, is to keep Kirky or dune buggy type seats out. If you really do have "factory type" seats (which you do), put the one in you want.

I had several racers gang up on my AF/S car because I had to flush the street fuel out of it to pass fuel tech. It didn't help I was taking #1 spot from them. Tech approached me and said I could only tech fuel after a run. I pulled out a rule book, showed them it said "racer may check fuel at any time" and thanked them for their time and asked them to show the rule that everybody could also follow. Gotta know the rule book inside and out!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hell,I'd put that ol' bench back in it for the nitpickers.But if it were me,and I wanted to push the "factory look" rule(and I'd want to),I would install a set of Dodge Van buckets from a mid 80's van.Lightweight and A body seat tracks will bolt right up.These usually have a checkerboard pattern,and are light blue or tan in most cases,but I just dyed mine black with SEM vinyl dye.If they weigh 20lbs I would be surprised.

And I like the low back seats better,just my personal preference.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #18
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

In the spirit of Stock Eliminator,it is beyond me how rules like this changed over the years.

( I do believe you are definately reading the rulebook correctly,Jeff.)

Logic defies me as to how it would be illegal to use a lightweight seat that was designed for a race car,but it is legal to use lightweight (factory)seats out of a VW Rabbit in a 1970 442 Convertible?

I am more of a purest ,which is why I will never remove my factory bucket seats that were made by Oldsmobile (RIP).They are EXTREMELY heavy,but they did come in the car in 1970.(Stock)
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
herbjr
VIP Member

Ill decide how to handle this with IHRA tomorrow. Probably an email with all pictures. It doesnt hurt that I have a 67 Chrysler parts book with exploded pictures. I can bring my parts books and have fun.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
Mike Galuk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Question about seats in a Stocker

Jr, sounds to me like someone has a hard on for you and lil brother. It is truly a gray area in the rule book. Keep us posted. Mike

Mike Galuk
JOE COOL RACING
STOCK-2000
Mike Galuk is offline   Reply With Quote