HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts
Default Which is faster carb or Fuel injection?

All things being equal in a stocker, lift, valve, piston, head, etc.. what would be faster a carb or fuel injection?

Don't worry Dennis I am having a cigar, backing off. lol
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Which is faster carb or Fuel injection?

Here we go. LOL
Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I will bite... Too hot to do much more here right now.
Never ran fuel injection on a race car, so I sure can NOT offer "facts" on back to back test.

My response below is directed to a stock eliminator setup.
With "all else equal" including "expert" tuners of both carbs and injection, I would say that fuel injection would be faster.
Reasons: You can tune each cylinder much more accurately with injection. The programming is there to change the fuel load to each cylinder. With a good data collection system, and egt on each tube, you can tell what each cylinder is doing with each change, and level them out. You can set the fuel curve, taking temperatures, flow, rpm, etc. into the mix. This makes a smoother motor, and should make more power overall.
Even the best carb tuner is subject to the flow of the intake, to take the fuel load to the cylinders. Just not going to be as accurate, as having the ability to inject directly into the runner, so it is not impacted by the other cylinders in an open intake. Yes, we can corner jet a Holley, etc. but still not like having the ability to inject into each cylinder, and change it thru the rpm range.

There is my two cents... please adjust for inflation as needed!

Ken

Stock 412
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Come'on Joe thats an easy one, even for you.

No more cigars or lake house for you.

And you better be at my BBQ this year, & bring the shirts, XL & 3XL. to ATCO.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DeMarzo View Post
All things being equal in a stocker, lift, valve, piston, head, etc.. what would be faster a carb or fuel injection?

Don't worry Dennis I am having a cigar, backing off. lol
Ok Joe Lol . And what shirts is Pete talking about?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts

Ken that makes sense and thank you for the mature response. This is not a loaded question, I was looking in the guide and saw 2 cars same class basically the same specs except carb vs FI.

My "friends" pick on me for being thoughtful, lol.

Is the torque higher in an FI motor due to the FI or are there other factors cause them all to leave harder than carb motored cars?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

From everything I have read over the years, a carb at wide open throttle can make about the same power as EFI. (if not more)

However, EFI engines can be dialed in easier for the optimum air/fuel ratio throughout the entire rpm range, thereby making better average torque numbers.

Neither has a clear cut advantage, in my opinion.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Alan got this one.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

Besides blueprint specs take a look at the intake potential and carb size vs. the throttle body, plenum and runners. There may be some differences. If you could estimate actual air flow available at the port would be big.
Fuel injection could have an advantage in having fuel introduced close to the back of the valve vs. being carried in suspension with the air stream.

With injection being able to control AF Ratio through the operating RPM range should be an advantage. Most systems will allow you to define RPM range in each cell but the amount of cells in the table is limited. Most are 400 or 500 RPM per cell. Think about the RPM range an engine operates in high gear. In low gear the time spent in each cell is minimal and controlling fuel is difficult.
Theoretically sequential vs. batch fire should have an advantage along with individual cylinder timing, etc. The real word variable is the operating RPM range, time spent in each cell, speed of the processor and speed of the injector.
Theoretically speed density / closed loop should be optimal vs. open loop or Alpha-N when the air fuel table is optimal. But it may not.

What I've come to understand is a carb will make more peak HP while EFI will make a flatter curve. Would average HP be similar?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Besides blueprint specs take a look at the intake potential and carb size vs. the throttle body, plenum and runners. There may be some differences. If you could estimate actual air flow available at the port would be big.
Fuel injection could have an advantage in having fuel introduced close to the back of the valve vs. being carried in suspension with the air stream.

With injection being able to control AF Ratio through the operating RPM range should be an advantage. Most systems will allow you to define RPM range in each cell but the amount of cells in the table is limited. Most are 400 or 500 RPM per cell. Think about the RPM range an engine operates in high gear. In low gear the time spent in each cell is minimal and controlling fuel is difficult.
Theoretically sequential vs. batch fire should have an advantage along with individual cylinder timing, etc. The real word variable is the operating RPM range, time spent in each cell, speed of the processor and speed of the injector.
Theoretically speed density / closed loop should be optimal vs. open loop or Alpha-N when the air fuel table is optimal. But it may not.

What I've come to understand is a carb will make more peak HP while EFI will make a flatter curve. Would average HP be similar?
That's tellin 'em Frank. lol