HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > All Star Racing Association
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
George Mirza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Banquet Highlights

WOW what a night, close to 100 guests from as far south as Penn. to as far north as Montreal and all points between. The celebration started with Joel McMahon, the man who started the ASRA 30 years ago, sharing with the crowd a brief history of the roots of the organization and how it was formed out of necessity to keep local class racing alive.

We then recognized some of our special guests, which included Steve and JoAnne Cutrera, Bob and Marylin Lang, Chris from NED and our 2011 Stock world Champ Joey S. Next we went over our past Champions, we've had 20 in the 30 years of ASRA racing and we had 16 in attendance.

Greg Barsamian paid tribute to our sponsors, thanking them all and presenting a plaque to Ryan Ondrejko for all the work he's done getting out web site up and running. He also offer a special thanks to Banks Chevolet for their continued support of the ASRA.

I then presented the special awards, with the Best Appearing Car going to the super clean G/SA Dodge Aspen of Tim Stickles, the Most Supportive Companion award was given to a very well deserving Shirly Mark, and the Peter O. Moran Sportsman of the year went to our buddy and fellow board member Marc Labrecque.

One of the high points of the night was the induction of our first member of the ASRA Hall of Fame, and with a fitting tribute we inducted Dave Lebrun. His brother Bob put together some very nice words, speaking of the great years he and his brother had spent racing and a brief history of Dave's racing career.

We then moved on to our race winners and Top Ten, once again John Gray made up the beautiful wall plaques with photos of their race cars. Thanks again John!!!

Then it was time to crown our 2011 Champion, with his father standing in line in the 10th spot and all his family, fiance', and friends looking on, TJ Boucher was recognized for his outstanding season and first ASRA Championship. He had a great speach prepared and especially thanked his father, family and all the other people in his life who have helped him with his racing throughout the years.

Also on display were dozens of old ASRA photo's. The Boucher's made a board with the list of all the 10 ten finishers from 1987 to present along with photos of several awards banquets. Thanks to everybody who brought photos and to Carl Libucha for the video's. It was a great trip back in time.

I don't have any pictures, but I'm sure we'll get some to post, but most likely on the ASRA web site. If anybody has any please send them to either Greg, Dave or myself and we'll get them to Ryan.

Thats all for now, but I'm sure they'll be much more posted about this great time.
George
George Mirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Mike Brogniez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Banquet Highlights

Thanks for the update George, congrats to all who have been recognized at the event.
Wishing you all a great 2012 season.
Mike Brogniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
tstickff

Liked 458 Times in 108 Posts

Thank you to everyone for the great time and for the best appearing vote, it is greatly appreciated!

Tim stickles
tstickff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Ultimate Converter Concepts
Sponsor

Liked 59 Times in 12 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Banquet Highlights

Congratulations to all the award winners and to the ASRA for a great racing organization and a great bunch of racers.
Ultimate Converter Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 581 Times in 127 Posts

A Great Event for sure ! ! ! ! We certainly celebrated our 30th anniversary with alot of fun and style. Our best attendance ever, Thanks to all, George hit on some of the great moments,

Congrats to TJ Boucher for winning the Banks sponsored ASRA points Championship, The Boucher family had a great night and they are certainly deserving.

Recognizing Dave LeBrun for all he has done as a racer in ASRA and as a contributer to ASRA was a great moment.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Marc LaBrecque

Liked 384 Times in 99 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Banquet Highlights

X2or3 . It was a great night and I believe a good time for all . A few of the special awards were missed by Dave and presented by board member Greg B. First of all Mark Markow recieved a new frame for his race Easy Up as Mark went thru 3 of them this year all being taken away in the wind one weeked at N.E. Dragway . Mark securring it might be a good idea. The second award was in Greg's words , a tough choice as both Al Mark and Mr. 4spd Sam Murry both have had problems keeping there race cars in there pit space . That being said winning by total distince traveled without a driver was Sam recieving a rather large chalk block . Lastly Greg awarded Al Mark with his own ice bucket full of ice so maybe he wouldn't be stealing ice all summer long out of thASRA cooler . Thanks to all the members and guests it was a great time !!!
Marc LaBrecque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a great time as well-a couple of things about the banquet that had personal meaning to me. Growing up in Norwich, CT, I'd heard of Dave LeBrun but never met him. I went to the Keystones in 1998 and it was my first time at a drag race in 30 years. I was crossing through the staging lanes on Saturday morning (that was the first day I attended the race) and stock was in the lanes-Dave and his car just happened to be near the crosswalk, so I went over to him and introduced myself-it was a big thrill to talk to him. When Lee Zane won Memphis in 2006 in my car, I was on vacation with my brothers and sister and parents at Groton Long Point (some things are more important than drag racing). While it was great to celebrate the win with them (and we did have quite the celebration), I needed to talk to someone who really understood how hard winning a national event is, so I went to Dave's shop in Groton-I missed him that day, but we had a great visit the next day. I'll always appreciate the fact that Dave was always willing to talk to me about the past, particularly to learn more about the 30 years I was not following racing.

Second it was great to see two people I'm now involved in racing with recognized for their contribution to ASRA, Joann and Steve Cultrera-I forget exactly when this summer that they told me that Joann was the first treasurer of the association, but it came up during some conversation when I mentioned I was a big fan of ASRA racing. And who knows, one of these days you might see a Cultrera racing in ASRA again.
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts

The Westin is "Quite the place"
To have our rules meeting in the afternoon and the banquet 1 floor down later that evening....

Good Food, Great Friends, Lot of stories, and a fitting tribute to someone that has dedicated 30 years of his life to the All-Star Racing Association.

And to share the stage with another "Father & Son" winning Team
Congratulations to Tj Boucher, and the "Gang" from Boucher's Racing Engines the 2011 ASRA 30th Anniversary Champion.

There's a reason why we're called "Classracers"
We had a room full of them Saturday evenning,
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote