HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
68Coupe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Question about eliminations in Stock and Super Stock

I am a bracket racer put a big fan of class racing.
I know you qualify and you have the ladder that determines who you run, but my question is how do you decide who runs which lane. When we come to staging we either pull in right of left lane, how does that work for you.
68Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Question about eliminations in Stock and Super Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Coupe View Post
I am a bracket racer put a big fan of class racing.
I know you qualify and you have the ladder that determines who you run, but my question is how do you decide who runs which lane. When we come to staging we either pull in right of left lane, how does that work for you.
Most guy's flip a coin for lane choice if someone has the same lane preference.
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,785 Times in 1,817 Posts

Let me add that the cars are paired up in the back of the staging lanes. Once they pull forward ,the drivers have already decided which lane they want.
NHRA doesn't care, one way or the other.
Also , the bye run car has the option of running first or last.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I'll probably get hammered for this, but I think the higher qualified car should get lane choice.

That, along with qualifying points for the top ten or so, might help some softer combos get "adjusted" quicker.

Fire away.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I'll probably get hammered for this, but I think the higher qualified car should get lane choice.

That, along with qualifying points for the top ten or so, might help some softer combos get "adjusted" quicker.

Fire away.
IHRA used to do it that way Ed.
Up until a few years ago until some guys started crying and they changed the rule.
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
DBi Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed makes a great point. The AHFS will work better when the "soft" combos have some incentive/purpose to let it all hang out. If they are allowed to continue to run and hide, then the AHFS will never work no matter what the trigger points are. I propose the following, so SRAC listen up:

#1) The pairings should be more like the pro pairings, or the format that the NCAA uses: 1 v 128, 2 v 127, 3 v 126, etc. This will prevent guys from running 1000' and placing themselves in the middle of the qualifying sheet run the cars that can't run their index. This would give the reward to the #1 qualifier to either have a bye or a car that can't run the index if that is the case.

#2) The higher qualified car should have lane choice. I could go with that for the whole race, or just first round and then go on best package or best RT from the previous round.

#3) Give bonus points for qualifiying like they did with the pro classes last year. Maybe give it to the top 10. A round of racing is a big deal and this would make qualifiying worth a little more when those racers fighting for a championship know they can make up some ground in qualifiying.

#4) I am sure this is the toughest one, but find a sponsor willing to put up money for qualifiying #1 or #1-5. I know contigency sponsors are dropping like flies, but it is just a thought.

Bill Lent
O/SA 3158
DBi Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBi Racing View Post
Ed makes a great point. The AHFS will work better when the "soft" combos have some incentive/purpose to let it all hang out. If they are allowed to continue to run and hide, then the AHFS will never work no matter what the trigger points are. I propose the following, so SRAC listen up:

#1) The pairings should be more like the pro pairings, or the format that the NCAA uses: 1 v 128, 2 v 127, 3 v 126, etc. This will prevent guys from running 1000' and placing themselves in the middle of the qualifying sheet run the cars that can't run their index. This would give the reward to the #1 qualifier to either have a bye or a car that can't run the index if that is the case.

#2) The higher qualified car should have lane choice. I could go with that for the whole race, or just first round and then go on best package or best RT from the previous round.

#3) Give bonus points for qualifiying like they did with the pro classes last year. Maybe give it to the top 10. A round of racing is a big deal and this would make qualifiying worth a little more when those racers fighting for a championship know they can make up some ground in qualifiying.

#4) I am sure this is the toughest one, but find a sponsor willing to put up money for qualifiying #1 or #1-5. I know contigency sponsors are dropping like flies, but it is just a thought.

Bill Lent
O/SA 3158
Glendora is too lazy to do these things,especially #2.
#4 may be workable.
All good ideas.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA

Last edited by Ed Fernandez; 04-07-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:

Bill Lent
O/SA 3158
Good post.
It is always good to hear intelligent thoughts,but number 1 was tried and was quite amusing.It was a "good spot" to be in the final qualifying position because if you took out the number 1 qualifier,you could then get a bye run.
I am pretty slow as it is,so I am usually right there.But I remember several years ago where drivers would shut their car off at the 60 ft clocks and slowly idle down the track TRYING to get the last qualifying position!
If somebody ran 20.00 seconds,somebody was "trying" for 21 seconds to be SLOWER.
Maybe if you had to at least run the index to qualify it would work,but thats about the only way.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 92 Times in 48 Posts
Question Re: Question about eliminations in Stock and Super Stock

Quote:

Bill Lent
O/SA 3158
Bill,

When IHRA had the qualifying list determined lane choice you could run 8 flat in I/SA and a guy who ran 14.50 in A/S the round prior still had lane choice if he qualified better. There was no incentive to run cars out (kinda like the current 1000' qual.) but maybe a better way would be you have to run the index or you don't even get a coin flip?

Only a random computer generated first round ladder would end the games. And if cars are not running past 1000' why waste time, adding a day to the event, and discourage the few spectators sitting in the stands? My guests have many times asked why not one time run and begin eliminatioons?
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pay something for number one qualifier. Make it worth your while to get index or horsepower.