HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Default Eardrum replacement

Anyone ever have an eardrum replacement? I go in tomorrow for one early am. Out the same day. As I understand it, they take a little flap of skin/membrane off the skull behind the ear then go in thru an incision behind the ear while looking down the ear canal to place it. No heavy activity for 3 weeks so you don.t pressurize the inner ear thru the Eustachian tube and push the new drum loose. I'll post results. its amazing what they can do.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Eardrum replacement

Will something like that stop the constant hissing in my head?????????????????????
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Will something like that stop the constant hissing in my head?????????????????????
Will it stop the voices in my head?

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Stewart Way

Sorry, but this doesn't seem to help the hissing or the voices. I still have both. The anesthesia kicked my butt. I have only had it twice before and came right out of it. Felt like I could have driven home. Not this time. Surgery was 7:30 to 9:30 am and at noon I was still feeling it. Wouldn't have wanted to drive last night. Surgery is fairly simple I guess. They lift a flap of skin up above the ear and take a piece of membrane off the skull. Then they make a cut from behind the ear into the canal and look down in and somehow attach the membrane where the eardrum goes. Light duty for 3 weeks. Ear may be numb for a while which I don't think happened but do seem to have some taste loss on that side. May come back. Won't know how the new drum works for a while. Go back in a week for a followup.
Ed, I have asked before about the hissing/ringing and doesn't seem to be much to do about it. I read that years ago someone even had the nerves cut and lost hearing but not the noise.
Billy, I'm afraid a different type of Doc is needed for the voices, but if they are not steering you wrong, maybe you should just listen to them. Never hurts to have another opinion.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Paul Precht

Liked 224 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
No but a little rum goes a long way in taming restless spirits, works for me anyway.
Paul Precht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: Eardrum replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
You beat me to it Billy! I don't mind all the voices but when 72 virgins call me at one time it gets kinda loud! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: Eardrum replacement

Seriously here is a video that my Fire Dept. did about hearing loss in the fire service and what you can do to protect from it. It also explains the workings of the inner ear and why some hearing loss is for ever! I know it's a little long (14 min.) but it's well worth it. Jim

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
You beat me to it Billy! I don't mind all the voices but when 72 virgins call me at one time it gets kinda loud! Jim

I can see how that would be kinda neat for about the first 6 to 8, but around 10 I would be looking for a pro.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Stewart Way

Jim
Most of us in racing didn't and don't take proper measures to protect our ears. I started with NHRA on the starting line in 1970 and no one wore any ear protection. Years between fuel cars did take its toll and I don't remember if I knew better back then or I was just young and dumb.
My eardrum tear was caused during the treatment for a fungal infection but tests reveal some high frequency loss and the ear MD was able to see the tiny bones behind the drum thru the tear and there was some degradation. I only showed around 30% loss from ear to ear with the tear but what also was missing was the ability to triangulate. If I was in the den and my cell phone was somewhere else I couldn't tell which room it was ringing in without turning my head. Couldn't tell where any sounds came from. For what I put my ears thru over the years my hearing is still pretty good, not that the wife would agree with that. I do wear plugs or cover my ears on the starting line now.
I could have opted for no repair but that would require lots of care not to get water in that ear and not sure that's possible with grandkids and a pool.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

I was watching this thread due to suffering from the "ear crickets" too. Ambulance sirens since 1978, and back in the day they were directly overhead on the cab, you yelled back and forth to your partner while on a run. I have not heard of any help for the buzzing. I have tinnitus as well as hearing loss. I have looked at herbal stuff but I have never had enough faith to spend the money on it to see. It takes a pretty good while to see results. I use earplugs to try to protect what is left of my hearing. engines, air wrench, .22 rifle, using a hammer, lawn mower,etc. I cringe when I see parents that bring little ones to the race W/O ear protection and have them near the starting line. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote