HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default ceramic bearings

Do ceramic bearings actually help performance, or no? This topic came up the other day. Your comments please.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: ceramic bearings

Im getting them for my front wheel bearings and rear end bearings. I'm looking to see MPH not ET gains. But no, I have no actual experience with these.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
mtkawboy

Liked 50 Times in 15 Posts

The 200 mph plus bikes at Bonneville all use them. I cant speak for the cars but they must work, but they arent cheap.
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkawboy View Post
The 200 mph plus bikes at Bonneville all use them. I cant speak for the cars but they must work, but they arent cheap.

Anything and everything you can do to reduce drag is worth et. I had the first all roller bearing 4 speed in SS and it was worth et. I probably had the first ball bearing carrier in comp and my car would roll in the staging lanes when others would not. I had unknown "helpers" who would comment on how easy my car was to push. (In A/SM at 3,000 lbs.)

I have a friend who works on an IRL team. (One of the top qualifiers) They (IRL) only allow ceramic bearings on the right rear because of the cost. Otherwise the well funded teams would have them on all four corners. Cost.... $17,000 for the RR. If you wanna be fast, no stone goes unturned. You do it all. Does that answer your question???
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
randy wilson

Yes. Thanks, but I believe I'll pass at this time. A little too spendy if they cost that much.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

They don't cost $17,000 for a passenger car. Indy or F1 cars are another breed of car!
Call Jack & get a quote.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
randy wilson

OK, now that we established this thread, the reason I started it was because a very well known, and successful comp racer told me he spent $ 20,000 on ceramic and never gained a thing. And I know he was trying to help, not lead us astray. What say everyone now. He said don't waste ur time or money.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
OK, now that we established this thread, the reason I started it was because a very well known, and successful comp racer told me he spent $ 20,000 on ceramic and never gained a thing. And I know he was trying to help, not lead us astray. What say everyone now. He said don't waste ur time or money.
Then if he said it was so, follow his advice, don't make your own decisions and don't waste your money.
The internet is full of experts.

By the way, did you read what I posted about the little road racer decreasing his lap times by EIGHT seconds with only a full treatment of a ceramic COATING on wheel bearings, transmission components and rear end components? Do you realize how much money it would cost in engine R&D to reduce lap times by 8 second on a road course? That's probably like you gaining a half-second in your drag car.
Have you gone to the Performance Bearing website? You'll find there are many grades of ceramic bearings. When a guy tells me he spent $20K on bearings, it doesn't always mean he spent the money on the best parts. Maybe he did though, I don't know. But I know this for a fact. I've seen guys spend boo-koo bucks on trick parts and still it takes three or four guys to push the car in the staging lanes. All the trick parts in the world won't fix that problem. The real problem must be addressed before looking at any "trick" parts.
Personally, I could care less what John Force or Warren Johnson has to say about a parts merits. I do my own thinking and roll my own dice.

Last edited by Jeff Lee; 10-20-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Jeff Lee is offline   Reply With Quote