HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #1341
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Sunday came and went with me riding the couch all day, that wasn't the plan but thats what happened. Worked on it some today and realized I never got any head dowels so I had to leave and track them down then go back for a couple hours so little progress but here's where we're at. Back to it for a bit tomorrow. If I could impart a nickels worth of free advice to any newbs like me I would tell them to pay close attention to how full you fill the block I paid close attention and still only have about a blade of grass worth of clearance from the torqued head bolt to the Hardblok after decking. I wanted to fill it as much as possible but after seeing it done I should have left it a tick lower. Some assembly required, warranty is pro rated and your results may vary.

Last edited by Nmbr1GMfan; 07-23-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #1342
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Slacking on the pictures but we are getting on with it. Checked cam lift, got the break-in rockers on, a mixture of restrictors tested while pre-lubing, swapped onto a dyno cart and started bolting stuff on.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #1343
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Everything is bolted on and moved into the dyno room, hooked everything up and found a few water leaks so we're getting them handled.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #1344
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I'm so excited for you !

Thank you for sharing your adventure, I have really enjoyed it.
Glenn
Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #1345
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Hayes View Post
I'm so excited for you !

Thank you for sharing your adventure, I have really enjoyed it.
Glenn
Thank you Glenn, maybe we'll hear it run today.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #1346
monte385

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Thank you Glenn, maybe we'll hear it run today.
With video.
monte385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #1347
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

We've had issues with the intake sealing since day one, so at the expense of more issues I had some help from the cyl head guy at the shop. He said he'd never seen one cut so far off. We always had an issue with water wicking into the gaskets, and thet was because the bottom would seal and the top wouldn't so it would leak at the top of the flange. we milled the flanges and set it back on last night. When I test fit it after it was cut no more wobbling around and sloppy side to side.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:00 PM   #1348
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Never fails. Change one thing and it affects another thing. Usually, after heads are decked to arrive at the blueprint specs on the chamber volume and the block is decked to get the correct deck height, enough stuff has moved around enough to throw off bolt holes,gasket sealing surfaces, push rod lengths, valve train geometry, and all else, even after the intake is narrowed down so that it snuggles down between the heads like its supposed to, then the distributor bottoms out inside the engine before the distributor is correctly seated down on the manifold, so a certain configuration of spacers is necessary.If its not one thing,it's something else. Never fails. A really quick stocker motor is such that the whole package has to be reengineered in order to get everything to work. In my earliest days of doing this, I wondered why racers I knew had all these different blocks,heads,manifolds, valve train parts, and all else in excess of what one main motor and a spare would require. Now, here I am with a couple of cars, a spare motor and God only knows how many manifolds and heads and internal parts it takes to make this stuff all work. You have successfully shown us just what all that process requires in order to arrive at the desired end result. Ever seen people enlarge the intake manifold bolt holes in order to get the bolts in after all the machine work on the long block? If you had to do that, it means that it still doesn't fit right. Some people go back to the drawing board so much they wear out the drawing board before the motor ever gets test fired.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #1349
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
Never fails. Change one thing and it affects another thing. Usually, after heads are decked to arrive at the blueprint specs on the chamber volume and the block is decked to get the correct deck height, enough stuff has moved around enough to throw off bolt holes,gasket sealing surfaces, push rod lengths, valve train geometry, and all else, even after the intake is narrowed down so that it snuggles down between the heads like its supposed to, then the distributor bottoms out inside the engine before the distributor is correctly seated down on the manifold, so a certain configuration of spacers is necessary.If its not one thing,it's something else. Never fails. A really quick stocker motor is such that the whole package has to be reengineered in order to get everything to work. In my earliest days of doing this, I wondered why racers I knew had all these different blocks,heads,manifolds, valve train parts, and all else in excess of what one main motor and a spare would require. Now, here I am with a couple of cars, a spare motor and God only knows how many manifolds and heads and internal parts it takes to make this stuff all work. You have successfully shown us just what all that process requires in order to arrive at the desired end result. Ever seen people enlarge the intake manifold bolt holes in order to get the bolts in after all the machine work on the long block? If you had to do that, it means that it still doesn't fit right. Some people go back to the drawing board so much they wear out the drawing board before the motor ever gets test fired.
Greg, I have learned that one change at the bottom of the stack throws the whole deal so far off kilter it's an engineering nightmare for sure.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #1350
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

That face you make when your crap has oil pressure for more than 5 minutes.