HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: How to slow AA/FC

Im obviously not a fuel crewchief, but, I would tell em all, in January, that only a 10-71 size blower is legal, set boost level at 25 psi, by pulley requirements, one mag, single plug heads,and plug the other hole. If they can only get so much fuel thru the motor, it will only make so much power.Leave the 3.20 gear in em, and they wont over rev. Clutches would be 3 or 4 disc, not 5 or 6. They can run all the other stuff they have, short of camshafts. Heads might be too big, but after you wear out what you have, work on a new head. Digger rules would mirror FC.
They were loud and nasty in the 70's and early 80's, but a good deal slower, for a while anyway.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wink Re: How to slow AA/FC

AA/FC's are the nostalgia cars......
Today's Big Show cars are just FC's................:-)
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Talking Re: How to slow AA/FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Wigington View Post
Im obviously not a fuel crewchief, but, I would tell em all, in January, that only a 10-71 size blower is legal, set boost level at 25 psi, by pulley requirements, one mag, single plug heads,and plug the other hole. If they can only get so much fuel thru the motor, it will only make so much power.Leave the 3.20 gear in em, and they wont over rev. Clutches would be 3 or 4 disc, not 5 or 6. They can run all the other stuff they have, short of camshafts. Heads might be too big, but after you wear out what you have, work on a new head. Digger rules would mirror FC.
They were loud and nasty in the 70's and early 80's, but a good deal slower, for a while anyway.
Kenny, I'm obviously not a fuel crew chief either, but why make all of those expensive changes. As I proposed in my earlier post, have MSD reprogram the already mandatory Rev Limiter to take away timing at a lower RPM than the current 8200 - 8300; that will force the crew chiefs to flow less fuel at that point, and consequently, make less power. If a 300 RPM reduction will slow them enough, so be it; if 1000 RPM is necessary, then so be it. In my opinion it would be the most cost effective way to accomplish the goal of slowing the fuel cars to about 300 MPH which is where the NHRA wants them to be.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts

I was thinking that the original seetings in those rev limiters caused em to knock the rods out, fairly often. I am probably wrong about it, but it always looked to me, that they REALLY loved spending money like it was on fire. Electronics, IMO, will be overcome, by a smarter programmer, in possibly in their cases, a better re programmer. AJ and another one got popped for altering it once already.
The more mechanical means, would be more effective. Simply making them run a smaller pump with 95% else remaining the same, is only a waste of money and time, and a smoke screen for the masses to swing their hands in.

My first experience, drag racing wise, was a 32 car FC race in 76. I was blown away by that. But, in a short few more years, seeing Stock,SS and Modifieds and etc., was the hook. I will always enjoy watching FC, but the are not the jazz they once were, to me.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 269 Posts

You do not want to take ignition away from the fuel cars. When you do, they'll start putting holes out and hydraulicing engines at about 10 times the current rate.

Take away 50 cubic inches, take the blowers down to 12-71, allow no overdrive, and cut the compression ratio. The only thing they will have to buy now is the blowers and the pulleys. Make the 50 cubic inches and lower compression ratio effective at the 2011 WinterNationals and announce it now, so the 50 cubic inches and the lower compression won't cost extra, they'll do it when they place their orders for next year's parts.