HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Frozen block

[QUOTE=BIZMANRACING

"why would i do that". i have no answer. i could give one only to find myself in the forest gump catagory. life gets in the way of living sometimes and we make wrong, poor or late choices that cost us money, time and unhappyness/stress.

Its kind of like getting MARRIED......lol
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Ron Finney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Frozen block

Just an FYI to all -

Those plugs are not "freeze plugs" or "frost plugs" like everyone thinks. They are actually "core plugs" which are used in manufacturing to get the sand out of the sand cast block. Many times what was described in the posts is what people find, plugs pushed out, so they have been mistakenly inrterpreted as freeze plugs for ever. I think this is what has given people the idea they have more freeze protection than they actually do. However, from the replies, you can tell how well they don't protect from freezing. I think we all tend to do things the easy way, myself included, but getting the antifreeze circulated is critical. Draining the block is not a bad idea, but I would have anitfreeze circulated first, because even the block drains still won't always get all the water out. Maybe if you winterized in September like the boat owners, then any residual would have time to evaporate.

Just wanted to pass along in hopes of helping everyone better understand their investments, since they are so expensive to replace.

Last edited by Ron Finney; 02-26-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Ron Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i came back to my post hoping someone had some good news of hope. unfortunally not. yep i guess its like being married. i do love my wife like i do my car and everything about it. even when it loses a race and i knew it wasn't "my fault".

i going to put my freeze/sand plug under my pillow tonight. hopefully the crack block fairy will spare me. i'll advise when i know. hopefully i can control the tears as i write the check.

Carlos Mendes
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Now i know why there is so many oil downs. JB weld in the lifter vally???? Wow, thats the craziest thing I ever herd.
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
don R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Frozen block

I've been a plumber for 31 years. I tell my apprentices I learn from my mistakes, how do you think I got so smart?
don R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

Carlos, heres some hope for you, A motown block should be thicker and stronger than an ordinary gm block. Not saying its not cracked, but those mid eighties small blocks would crack in the lifter gallies and sides all the time.

Your post should ask how many guys freeze cracked an aftermarket block. I've got my fingers crossed for you, I know all to well about time and the lack of it.
SSDA Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #17
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what will life be like after drag racing?

i dumped the oil on sunday. as i unthreaded the drain bolt water started to work its way through the threads and into my dump pan. i just layed there on the cold floor of my garage and watched it fall. i half hoped that it was just some sick from on condensation since i run alcohal. but, i was not lucky. i just watched and watched wondering when it would change to oil. i waited a little while longer, i put my hand under the stream thinking that i due need to see the eye doctor for some new glasses, only to be very clear. it was water, and it had a little green to it.

i surrendered and just pulled the plug completely out. oil and water don't mix. as i layed there and watched i knew i had a big job ahead of me getting the motor pulled. all those tie wraps been cut. all those quick disconet wires to undue, and finally that last quart or more of trans fluid that would slip out as i tilted the motor and trans bring them out together. thats what happens when you use allen head bolts to attach the trans to the motor in a stock bodied car. everything has to come out.

now back to my first statement. i promised myself that when this motor went i would go back to 12 sec footbrake racing. but, i haven had my fill yet of 9 sec stuff, beside i had planned on taking yet more weight out of the car. (i weighted 3050 with me in it). life just got in the way of living. i guess if i can keep the cost at 3000 or below i'll give it another try. i figure the block must of craked down low since i can't see a path for water in the oil pan from a lifter valley crack.

Carlos Mendes
Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
VanPelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to hear the outcome Biz! Good Luck on the rebuild and 2009.

Cheers, Bill
VanPelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
kenny v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to kenny v

Before you scrap your block , I have seen some blocks get welded but you need to find a welder that welds cast iron. Can't hurt to ask someone.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #20
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i called scharioff about the "concept" of welding. cost of pressure testing through them was 200. then if a crack was there. then it depended on if the crack could be reached. the worst case of a block that "could" be welded was an addition 500. then there is shipping to and from. probally a 100 on each side. so assuming that it can be done the bottom line is something just short or above 1000.

called my engine builder and asked for a bottom line worst case. block 2000, machining small block and clearaning for a 427. 600. gaskets, bearings, rings another 600. then 1000 for him. total 4200.

i'm as sick as i can be. in these times this could kill someone. thus my statement. whats life going to be like after drag racing.

during better times i would say "its only money, just go make more of it" but, it hurts to much to think that way. so since tomorrow will come, i'll just do my best to get through today.

after i do a shady tree mechanic pressure test on the block. (block intack with new freeze plugs in, water pump still mounted, cponnect the rad and the hoses, then pressure from the rad cap to 13 ppounds any hope she might be ok.

Carlos Mendes