HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default The Stanfields

I know how some hate it when somebody revives a really old thread. So, I'm not gonna do that.

BUT, I was lookin back thru some old threads for some Pontiac info, when I ran across a thread about the passing of Howard Stanfield.

And a couple of posts mentioned him racing at the Hallsville, TX track.

http://classracer.com/classforum/sho...8&postcount=22

Well, we raced there a few times with our '68 E/SA Bird, in '75, then quite a bit in '78 & '79, with our bracket cars.

Mr. Howard raced there when he didn't have a bigger race to go to. After all these years, I still remember how friendly Mr. Howard was. He never failed to stop by our pit to say hi & ask how our cars were running.

I suppose one reason why that stands out in my mind is because of the many races we went to, he's the only person I can remember who ever ask how our cars were running. I suppose that most of our opponents hoped we were running bad, and other wise didn't give a flip.

But Howard Stanfield was different. I didn't know him well. But I knew enuff to know that he was a cut above the average racer we met. And, I suppose he was that way to everybody, from what was said in some of the posts in that thread.

I think Mr. Howard had a small Chevy wagon of some kind, back then. Just Googled his son, Greg. Said Greg was born in 1965. So, in '75, he'd have been only 10. Reckin he wasn't driving yet. But, in 1979, he would have been 14. So, for you guys who knew the family well, back in those days, how old was Greg, before he was allowed to drive, in competition, at the smaller tracks, like Hallsville ?

The reason I ask is because if my dad had been a racer, he would have put me behind the wheel as soon as any track owner would have allowed it. He had me driving cars, trucks, & tractors, before I started the 1st grade. Even drove my sister & my teacher mom to school, in our '55 Ford Mainline, with 3-on-the-tree. Also remember that "Little Eddie" Richardson drove a GTX(IIRC) bracket car at Tyler, when he was quite young. Maybe some of ya'll that raced Tyler in those days can remember his age. I'm sure most of ya'll know him as Edmond Richardson, who has made quite a name for himself in drag racing. But, in those days, his dad was known as "Fast Eddie", he was "Little Eddie". Hey, at least I can say I once beat Edmond Richardson, in a drag race !

This article says he won his first race on a Yamaha, at age 11. Assume he began racing cars, shortly thereafter. Anybody know when he began racing cars, & when he got his 1st win in a car ?

https://us.motorsport.com/vintage/ne...rdson/1867802/

Our Stocker wasn't quick enuff to beat any serious race cars. But, according to our records, one week, when Mr. Howard & Dave Botkin were gone to a bigger race, we slipped over to Hallsvile, & TJ won stock. Back then, at most of our local tracks, the Stock winner got $75, and you could take another $5, instead of a trophy. Hey, gas was less than 60 cents. So, that $5 would buy nearly 10 gal of gas. But, when there was only a small field of cars, the pot was less. So, TJ only got $35 for that win. Still have a copy of the check.

Anyhow, I have nothing but good memories of Howard Stanfield. & I hope his son & grandson continue to have good success in their racing careers.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:32 AM   #2
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,792 Times in 571 Posts
Default Re: The Stanfields

Jon Jr got his license @ 15 because in our semi rural town under
25K it was legal in Nevada. He week later he went to Phoenix Nat'ls
and won I/SA over 9 cars beating me in the finals.
Now do you have to be 18 to run National Events ?
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:32 AM   #3
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

I have good memories of Howard and Greg and the Hallsville days. My Son, Jeff, is about the same age as Greg. I have several photos of the boys in the water box area, they were not tall enough to reach in the water barrel at Hallsville [were you dipped your can for burnout water]

We bracket raced there from around 1977 until the track closed, a lot of good races, lots of great memories and experiences. The Stanfields were often there and we often traded licks.

Over time, we became good friends with both Howard and Greg. And as posted above, Howard was a good man and always friendly and helpful.

A good Howard story, he came to Hallsville one Sunday morning with his just finished, first time out 1968 Camaro super stocker. The engine ran fine at low speeds but banged and popped under load. After some quick checked we discovered a cracked distributor cap, Howard had installed the engine the day before and the distributor cap got pinched against the firewall as the engine went in.

We took the distributor cap off my tow truck for the fix.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:50 AM   #4
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts

Yesterday I pulled up an old newspaper article that showed Mr. Howard winning SS, in a Camaro, at our local track, near Monroe, LA. Didn't know he ever ran there.

I suppose the 1st race I ever attended there was in either 1966 or '67. Didn't have a any drag racing friends. & I didn't have a race car. I remember that they had booked in some front engine dragsters. Back then, they smoked the tires pretty much the entire quarter. I went to that race by myself, in our family car, which was a '66 Dodge Coronet 500, 383 4-barrel, dual exhaust, with a 3.23? posi. It was silver, with a black vinyl top & black interior.

When we needed a new car, I tried to talk my Dad into a 426 Street Hemi, with a 4-speed. But, he said that since my Mom & sister would be driving it, we'd better go with the 383/auto. And, obviously that was a good decision.

I was actually surprised that he let me get by with choosing the color, plus bucket seats & a console shifter. I suppose he knew that he couldn't afford to buy me my own car, so that was the best he could do for me. I thought that was real cool of him.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote