Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #11
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Maybe I Was Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Bobby, when I was a younger man I also enjoyed Natl. Events. They just don't "do it" for me anymore. Now maybe I just got older and maybe I just got smarter but the time and monies spent and aggravation endured don't make it worth-my-while.
One of the facts about modern-day Natl. Events is that the purse structure hasn't changed in over 20 years while the contingency program has been left to dwindle to nothing. In the 1990s, I could take home 12-15K for winning Stock at a Natls.. Today, in the same car, I couldn't make 5K and my expenses have tripled or quadrupled. For me, it's just not good business and I don't need the ego massage of being "bathed" in the light of John Force. I can go to the Div. Races and hang out with my buds, maybe make a couple of bucks and get my "fix" and I'm good.
There is a column written by a guy named Jok Nickelson on another site (DRO) that I feel might be worth the read. It is his last column as I believe that the site is closing down. It is mainly involving Bracket Racing but the lesson is the same.
Couldn't agree more, with every point Billy brings up. National Evens have completely lost their luster for me as well.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts

When I was younger there was nothing I wanted more than to win a national event! In those days you shared the stage with the pro winners and you also got a medal, reminded me of something you would win in the Olympics and of course there was also the giant Wally. to me this was the highlight of being a national event champion. Back then I had gotten to two or three finals and lost.the year I finally broke through and won a national they had done away with the medal and of course we were no longer sharing the stage with the pros
they have separated us and took away lots of little things while the pros still get that damn medal! I certainly hope they don’t separate us anymore winning a national event should be something to be proud of!
When IHRA did this very thing a national event was more or less which day you won. Saturday could be the national and Sunday be the divisional. Wasn’t a whole Lotta glory winning the right day...
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
When I was younger there was nothing I wanted more than to win a national event! In those days you shared the stage with the pro winners and you also got a medal, reminded me of something you would win in the Olympics and of course there was also the giant Wally. to me this was the highlight of being a national event champion. Back then I had gotten to two or three finals and lost.the year I finally broke through and won a national they had done away with the medal and of course we were no longer sharing the stage with the pros
they have separated us and took away lots of little things while the pros still get that damn medal! I certainly hope they don’t separate us anymore winning a national event should be something to be proud of!
When IHRA did this very thing a national event was more or less which day you won. Saturday could be the national and Sunday be the divisional. Wasn’t a whole Lotta glory winning the right day...
Don't forget the nice jacket they would give you. Maybe they give you a T-shirt now?
Probably has John Force on the back.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:05 PM   #14
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Don't forget the nice jacket they would give you. Maybe they give you a T-shirt now?
Probably has John Force on the back.
They still give you a nice National Event specific jacket Mark.I Wonder what Fletch and Rampy has done with over 100 winter coats ! Don't we all wish we had such a problem.. lol
Old 02-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #15
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts

Yes you still get the jacket. But that will probably be next to go. First time I won the IHRA world championship was the last year hooters was sponsoring it
the Hooters girls were still in the picture, hooters still got their name on the trophy and ring, but Unlike previous years we got no hooters jacket LOL go figure
This has got me to thinking, over the years can anybody say any perks have been added instead of taken away? Kind of reminds me of our NHRA membership

Last edited by Keith 944; 02-15-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #16
shortblock

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Used to get stp jacket stp oil and other things
shortblock is offline   Reply With Quote