HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts
Default Fresh rebuild, oil everywhere

Fired up my fresh 327 on Saturday to break in the cam, and after a minute or two at 2k rpm it started belching smoke. Ran it for 5 minutes till it got to 195 or so and shut it off. Let it cool, fired it again for another 5 minutes and it smoked bad the whole time. Plugs were all oily and even the bottom of the carb was dripping oil, so I pulled the intake thinking it wasn't sealed up. Tried thicker gaskets, but couldn't get the bolts started so I put it back together with new .060 gaskets and sealer. This is the same block, intake, and heads I ran last year with no problems, by the way. Fired it again, same thing.
Spoke to the experienced (and record-setting) racer / builder that's been guiding me with this build, and he's convinced that it's the valve seals. I will admit - I reused the rubber PC seals that were on the heads when I bought the engine because, hey, they didn't leak before!
So he recommended Teflon, as they were the only ones that don't leak on his engines with the high vacuum produced by the latest ring technology. I ordered them Sunday from Jeg's and got them today. I swear, these things were made for a freakin' XR80 Honda they're so tight. I ruined 5 before I quit, and I'm not even convinced that that much oil could get sucked through the guides. With the first Midwest Classracers event coming up this weekend, I need to get this fixed in a hurry...
So:
1. I don't think it could be a screwed up ring, or I'd have blowby...right? I was running it with no PCVs or breathers in the valve covers, just open holes, and plugged the vacuum port on the carb. Didn't see anything coming out of the holes.
2. Are there better valve seals than these pieces of *&^*%$# ?
You know, that can be installed by mere mortals?
3. Any other ideas I'm missing?
This is my first stocker engine, but not my first small block. It's kicked my *** the whole way, and now I can see why so many people just write a check!
Here's a smoke-filled video:
https://flic.kr/p/nPm1mC
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,038 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Fresh rebuild, oil everywhere

With the exhaust huffing smoke like that, you almost certainly have a ring seal problem. Doesn't look like valve stem seals at all. Oil on the plugs and the bottom of the carburetor is a bad sign as well, the guides would have to be so loose that the valves wouldn't seal on the seats. You need to run a compression test and a leak down test.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts

Second ring in upside-down?

Jerry
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Total Seal gapless top ring???
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts

Tim, yes those are the ones. I filed to .028 as per Keith's instructions.
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
astikhossw

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

You made need to shim the top groove with that set up from Keith.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
CFMCNC

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyan View Post
Second ring in upside-down?

Jerry
X2.Bill C.
CFMCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts

Paul

I had a problem like that and it turned out to be the wrong size oil ring expander and rail set. They felt really loose when I put the motor together, and said to myself, if it seals up it will fly. Well, it was just as you described, pulled the motor down and replaced with a bigger expander and rail set and the car flew. If you are using Total Seal look at the label on the oil ring package and see what size is printed on it. They had sent a4.040 expander package while the top and second rings were for a finished bore size of 4.100. Believe I wound up with a 4.060 oil package set .

I always use a digital fish scale and pull a piston (with the oil ring package installed) through the cylinders to check for how much drag. I shoot for around 8 to 10 lbs. Its a little tricky, put try and keep it moving smoothly in the cylinder.

Good Luck

We learn a whole lot more from our mistakes than we do from our successes.

Hey, how long is your camper footprint? Look like it fits perfect without overhang.

RJ
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I had some real bad problems with the gapless rings. After one run absolutely no compression. The engine would not start. Checked With leak down and 90% in all cylinders. Every ring was seized into the ring land both top and 2nd. I spoke to Total Seal and Patterson and no one could give me a good reason for the problem. I followed their instructions to the letter and used a premium break in oil. Definitely a ring problem.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paul,

I'm sure there is smart engine builders out there that can make those gapless top rings work in a stocker set up, I tried and could not but I only do my own junk so take it for what its worth.... If it was me, I would pull the engine apart, scrub the cylinders with dawn dishsoap and brush them, remove the gapless top ring and throw them as far as you can, then find them and burry them so you don't try them again. Install some standard 5/64 rings and have fun.

They do seal awesome on compression, not sure what happens on the down stroke that makes them drink oil. I used two quarts in 10 dyno pulls and gave up. I heard of guys using a PCV set up to assist but with my tune port setup, it pulled oil out of the valve covers rapidly.

Good luck!

Tim
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote