HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Default Want to loose 3200 ugly pounds?

Contact your Division Director, your SRAC member, or NHRA and support the proposal for new classes in Stock and Super Stock. 6.0, 6.5, and 7.0 in stock (call it A/FX or whatever) and a 5.5 lb class for Super Stock. Give the new high horsepower cars a destination and they might disappear from your complaint box. Imagine that! All the safety rules are already in place, so that ain't an issue. After class, it's a bracket race anyway, and almost all of the folks with these cars won't be on your horizon. Might be the late 60.s all over again. It's out there. Just needs support from the racers, Chevy to get in the field, and stop the Mississippi from rising. All easily done. Trust me. Might be a nice heads up ring on Saturday.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
sammy pizzolato

Liked 56 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sammy pizzolato
Default Re: Want to loose 3200 ugly pounds?

if nhra would put all fuel injected cars aa to d in there own class that would be a quick fix.
sammy pizzolato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

For gods sake, isnt this what we all have been bitchen for the last two years. That lets the old cars stay in the mix and should have been done already. What the heck is nhra waiting for?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

Stock doesn't need a class lighter than 7.0 pounds per cubic inch (and we can start the class there at A being 7.0). Even at that weight, some cars can easily exceed the safety margin, what little is left, of 9" tires and stock based suspension. The last thing we need in Stock is a bunch of out of control cars, there's no need to start wrecking stuff like they do in those outlaw classes.

If you need more help for them for Stock, put them in FX classes, say A thru C, then adjust the weight rules and HP to keep them safe on 9" tires.

Otherwise, just let them run themselves out of the class.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Mark Madison

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

I'm all for a 7 pound class in stock.
Mark Madison
Mark Madison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Want to loose 3200 ugly pounds?

IHRA has had a 7.0 lb class for years and very few ever ran it. The FI cars are seperate from older stockers and again the new cars very seldom show up other than Jeff T.. I think they are all on an ego trip to show off in NHRA. .
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

You know I am all for it but as my Grandpa use to say

"some people would not be happy if you hung them with a new rope"

:-) peace
Old 05-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

So Alan, you would prefer AA cars @ 4200 lbs? That's what you got now. You really think NHRA is gonna make Ford go home?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,032 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
So Alan, you would prefer AA cars @ 4200 lbs? That's what you got now. You really think NHRA is gonna make Ford go home?

Jeff, the current configuration of Stock Eliminator, especially with 9" tires, does not offer the necessary safety margins for 150+ MPH cars, it just ain't there. I'm not going to advocate a change that's going to cause a marked increase in accidents.

Like I said, make A/S and A/SA both 7.0 pound classes, move the new cars to FX classes, say A thru D, with A/FX being 7.0 pounds and D/FX being 10.0 pounds, then adjust the HP and weight rules on the classes to make the new cars fit and work well. If necessary, give them a 10" tire and some safety upgrades.

If they're going to run in Stock Eliminator, even in their own FX classes, they need to be held to the point where a really fast pass is a 9.0 at around 150. Once they get factored to where they don't fit the FX rules to keep them at that limit, send them to Super Stock.

Honestly, even FX classes with 10" tires is not the proper solution. Thoroughbred factory race cars belong in Super Stock, there was a reason they were put there to begin with, and the reason is still valid and still applies today. I'd advocate the FX classes merely because it's as close as we're going to get to the proper and correct solution.

I want to see the new cars race, I have no problem with them existing and being raced, it just needs to be done right. The factories and NHRA can promote them in any class, they don't have to be in classes they don't really fit, running all over the cars that belong in those classes, in order for them to be impressive and promotable. The new cars would be just as impressive, and easy to promote, in stand alone FX classes, or in Super Stock, where they belong.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Alan,that's the clearest explaination anyone's made on the subject of the new cars.The only one's who'll disagree are those who own/race one and don't want to lose their racing
(heads up) advantage or maybe stand to profit by an association with them.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote