HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Racin Mason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Staging light error caught on film & Div. Director's respons

NHRA's staging system malfunctioned in Pomona causing the red light to come on in my lane wihtout the car moving, but luckily someone caught it on tape and posted it to Classracer a little while back. I sent the following e-mail to Division 7 Director Mike Rice last week:

Hi Mike. I have a GT/BA orange Camaro car #7026 and you probably recall the problems we had with the staging lights in round 1 at the Winter Nationals. At the time, the ruling was that I had rocked out of the beams and it was a shallow stage red light. This same issue actually occurred in Vegas as well under virtually identical conditions. Luckily, someone was videotaping the whole thing in Pomona and we can now see exactly what happened.

Here's the link to the video and the run is right at 19:00:

If you watch the video you can clearly see what happens. The tree starts to come down, on the second amber BOTH the pre-stage and stage lights go off and the red light comes on. Exactly three seconds later the red light goes off and BOTH the pre-stage and stage lights come back on. It is clear that the car does not move at all and this is why BOTH lights turn back on when the red light goes off. If it did rock out of the beams, it certainly wouldn't have turned off both pre-stage and stage lights. Even if it did somehow rock the 12" or so between the two beams, the two lights would not have turned right back on again after the red light turns off. They should both be out if the car moved and this is clearly not what happened.

Please watch the video and I think you will agree that there was clearly a malfunction in the timing system. NHRA has used videotape in the past to rectify errors where a win was given to the incorrect driver. Let me know once you review and we can discuss options on how to make this right. Thanks.

--Mike Rice then sent the following response:

It is too hard to see in the video. The shallow stage deal is very real, especially without the StageLoc program. The car doesn’t have to move, just the change in tire pressure when on the brake or two step can be enough to rock out of the beams. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what happened to you at Pomona. You may not physically see or feel car move, but the beams are so sensitive that it happens. You are not the first that it has happened too and certainly won’t be the last.

When the system red-lights, it locks our both the pre-stage and stage beams, which is why both go out. When system resets, it allows them to come back on.

Mike

Am I wrong here? Has anyone else experienced this?
Racin Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Sean Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Sean Kennedy
Default Re: Staging light error caught on film & Div. Director's res

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racin Mason View Post
NHRA's staging system malfunctioned in Pomona causing the red light to come on in my lane wihtout the car moving, but luckily someone caught it on tape and posted it to Classracer a little while back. I sent the following e-mail to Division 7 Director Mike Rice last week:

Hi Mike. I have a GT/BA orange Camaro car #7026 and you probably recall the problems we had with the staging lights in round 1 at the Winter Nationals. At the time, the ruling was that I had rocked out of the beams and it was a shallow stage red light. This same issue actually occurred in Vegas as well under virtually identical conditions. Luckily, someone was videotaping the whole thing in Pomona and we can now see exactly what happened.

Here's the link to the video and the run is right at 19:00:

If you watch the video you can clearly see what happens. The tree starts to come down, on the second amber BOTH the pre-stage and stage lights go off and the red light comes on. Exactly three seconds later the red light goes off and BOTH the pre-stage and stage lights come back on. It is clear that the car does not move at all and this is why BOTH lights turn back on when the red light goes off. If it did rock out of the beams, it certainly wouldn't have turned off both pre-stage and stage lights. Even if it did somehow rock the 12" or so between the two beams, the two lights would not have turned right back on again after the red light turns off. They should both be out if the car moved and this is clearly not what happened.

Please watch the video and I think you will agree that there was clearly a malfunction in the timing system. NHRA has used videotape in the past to rectify errors where a win was given to the incorrect driver. Let me know once you review and we can discuss options on how to make this right. Thanks.

--Mike Rice then sent the following response:

It is too hard to see in the video. The shallow stage deal is very real, especially without the StageLoc program. The car doesn’t have to move, just the change in tire pressure when on the brake or two step can be enough to rock out of the beams. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what happened to you at Pomona. You may not physically see or feel car move, but the beams are so sensitive that it happens. You are not the first that it has happened too and certainly won’t be the last.

When the system red-lights, it locks our both the pre-stage and stage beams, which is why both go out. When system resets, it allows them to come back on.

Mike

Am I wrong here? Has anyone else experienced this?

This actually happens a lot in the Jr Dragster categories. I have been the victim of it a few times, only once in 10 years of bracket racing.

I personally do not agree with the explanation, but I can tell you that the response is going to be the same no matter what. Even on the local track level.

I don't agree, but it is one decision that it as the very least consistently enforced every time I have seen it happen.
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I agree something happened to cause you to be redlit and you car did not cause it. The top light never flickered or went out. Both stage lights went out. I've never seen them go out and a redlight triggered and then they come back on and the redlight goes out......If you rolled forward it would take a lot of movement before the top light would go out and it could be easily seen on the video......if you rolled backward the top light alone would have flickered or gone out to trigger the red....

The explaination about tire flex is just not very creditable to me.....

Check you car for anything that might be hanging low underneath....

In 1982 or 1983 the Pro Stock title was lost thanks to an un explained NON redlight and the same car did the same thing the following year at Gainseville.....No explaination for that one that made any sense either....
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

U got fahqued with no VASELINE!!!
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Whaley View Post
U got fahqued with no VASELINE!!!
this
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Mike Gray

Liked 497 Times in 133 Posts

Watch the video again, as soon as the first yellow comes on the photographer
(next to your car) camera's flash goes off. Did the light reflect back off the wheels and cause the redlight?
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
(next to your car) camera's flash goes off. Did the light reflect back off the wheels and cause the redlight?
bingo
Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
Clear as can be, you are dead on !!!!!

Of course the official respone will be "that can't happen" ...... Right....
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs down Re: Staging light error caught on film & Div. Director's res

Yup, you got screwed! Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
billy leber

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Agreed, camera flashed just before redlite came on, you watch , camera man will not be allowed up that far in the future and you will get an apology. LOL