Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #41
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Question Re: LIVE from Palm Beach Nitro Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch man View Post
joe told the truth, they have a race at the end of the earth and expect a good turn out????
If Palm Beach is at the end of the earth, then Bradenton, Orlando and Gainesville are pretty close to "the end of the earth". If racers could attend NHRA divisionals at those locations over the years, why not travel just a little further? Several Stock/SS NHRA cars already in Florida that didn't show up, not to mention .90 cars. Bracket payout was pretty good too. I made more for ET semi's than I would have in Stock semi's. IHRA was nice enough to allow first round losers to buy in the the ET combo. Less cars than I expected there also.

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 01-30-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #42
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: LIVE from Palm Beach Nitro Jam

Guys i didn't mean it in a bad way at all against IHRA. It really has me worried.
I feel that they have given sportsman racers another avenue to play at and nobody seems to jump on it. I won my first national event at IHRA SportsNats in 1988, Chip you won 12.90 I think also if you knew me back then i raced a lot of IHRA and always have supported them. I posted what i did because it floored me what the car count was and I think MB does a great job promoting them and really thought , umm this year they will get over the hump, but this economy really has me worried right now and reports of 5 bucks for gas in the summer is scary.
Now we all don't want to see this happen either. But..............keep the car counts up like PBIR and something is going to hit the fan.
PBIR by the numbers
TF 2
PFC 8
Fuel Altered 4
bikes 5
T/D 29
T/S 7
SS 9
Stock 22
Q/R 23
S/R 25
H/R 31
Box 64 (6 rds I'm guessing)
No Box 32 (5 rds guessing again)
Total car count plus 2 Jets= 258 cars, this isnt right!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #43
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Angry Re: LIVE from Palm Beach Nitro Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch man View Post
joe told the truth, they have a race at the end of the earth and expect a good turn out????
Ends of the earth.....are you friggin' nuts ????? Another keyboard jockey who dosent know what he is talking about ! Its a lousy 3 to 3 1/2 hours depending which way you travel from Gainesville at the very most and the NHRA guys pack that place ! NHRA could give away used condoms for a win and the die hards would still show up at the NHRA races just to compare the size of their "trouser trouts". Like I said before I hope you all enjoy your "enhancements" when IHRA says no more to stock and S/S not to mention any other classes..

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 01-31-2011 at 07:25 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #44
Jim Woods

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts

The ends of the earth explanation does not hold any water because races were held there when it was NHRA and the cars were there.Stop whining and stirring the pot and get out and race, its a very simple solution, There is a big difference between not attending due to lack of time , or other reasons but not supporting just because its IHRA is totally idiotic. I for one would like to see a superbowl of drag racing in s/ss and see what happens then.Joe the pro car count is booked in , that is why it is not high numbers.you cant count those in your observation.I just seen the snow is hitting ohio again.See you in the spring
Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #45
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

It's ironic that PBIR is considered to be "the end of the earth" to some, but obviously not to all. The winners of Quick Rod (Jim Morrison) and Hot Rod (Bill Clarke) are both from Nova Scotia, Canada. They travelled down to Florida to escape the winter weather and take in some racing. By the way, that's a 40+ hour drive one way.

It was also Bill's very first time racing at a National Event. Congrats to them both!

On the topic of turnout; it's definitely a cause for concern when a National Event only gets attendance as small as this. Neither Association is in it to lose money, and having these embarassingly low numbers is a quick path to oblivion for any class.
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #46
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Bradenton car counts will "tell the tale" for NHRA in D2, think Pomona filling up is a whole different deal. If racers aren't willing to drive to Jupiter or Bradenton then racing "down south" will probably not be much different than last year. So-so car counts at best.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #47
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Bradenton car counts will "tell the tale" for NHRA in D2, think Pomona filling up is a whole different deal. If racers aren't willing to drive to Jupiter or Bradenton then racing "down south" will probably not be much different than last year. So-so car counts at best.
Also let's wait and see what the turnout for the Nitro Jam in Baton Rouge is. There are a ton of good race cars in that area, and the ones I have talked to are going.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #48
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Boy, you could tell it was the first race of the year! Drove like crap for the most part, but in the end managed to make it to the semifinals of the No-Box side of the E.T. race -- I got $300 for making it to the 4th round.... I like that math. To those that stayed home, your loss.

The weekend turned out to be a little more of an adventure than I was hoping for. The driver's side slick developed a bad cord or something. We had a long oildown when Mayhew's engine finally gave up the ghost. The tire was a little lower than I would've liked it by the time we finally got to race. .001 light, and then had a winter-hibernation brain lapse and forgot just how much room cars make up in the 1/4-mile. I'd lost .16 between the last two qualifying runs (to the wind... Manny Sousa lost .15 as well), and I wasn't trusting the wind nor the dial. By the time I started pedaling, I knew it was exactly wrong, and Brenda cruised on by for the win. I made the turn on top end, and the tire gave up, leaving the car stranded on the top end of the opposite side of the track.

I tried to thumb a ride back with Manny. 'Course he thought I was just checking to see if he'd won or not, so I had to show a little leg to get him to stop. He got me back to his pit, and one of his buddy's gave me a ride on the golf cart the rest of the way back to mine. Tim Davis and I took two scooters to get my spare rear wheel (w/ street tire), a floor jack, and a lug wrench over to the other side. Swapped out, throw tools in the trunk, drive back to the pit, grab the spare slick (and I thought I was being silly bringing it, but knew that it was the last 20x8-14 on the planet). The other rim had gotten boogered a little (*might* be ok, but not worth the risk), so we had them dismount the street tire, put the old spare slick on, and changed it right in the tire guy's pit. No-Box is already in the lanes, and running. Gotta drive back to my pit at 1,200' to get all the tools, wheels and tires out of the car, ask Jim to call up to the tower as I zip through the staging lanes (access to the far side pit) to put me in the No-Box race on my other Gold Card. Drop junk, back to the lanes. By that time, there's only two cars left... the bye car... and Myron Piatek. Car's hot, dial up a tenth, didn't even have time to check the air in the newly mounted slick (ended up about 4psi high). Myron welds me as usual, we're both on the brakes, and I give it back by .001... so! Been beaten up by two World Champs so far! LOL Sheesh!

Get back to the pit, thinkin' about loading up, but realized there were so few bracket cars that if I bought back in, I'd only have to win one round to get in the money. I'd tell you about my second round match-up with Harry Morgan, but all the video cameras ran out of film trying to record the whole thing. The wind turns tail, and I get a double-breakout nod, -.08 under to -.11 under! Lucky again 3rd round again a 9-sec car. Got stupid and laid off the tree, but watched him leave in the rearview and figured I had 6 or 8 to work with, so I ran it to a couple car lengths before the first cone, and lifted to go dead-on. Back on my game to have to run Myron again in the semis of No-Box... he's .012 to my .015, but the tailwind goes away, and I'm simply in the way. As Myron had his two best R/T's against me, I respectfully request that he quit respecting me! At least I've only been beaten by World Champs so far this year! LOL

The car was outstanding to the 1/8th mile, but you could see by the split times how bad the wind affected it on top end... but that was the same for the big car there last year, too. Just one of those tricky tracks. All in all, good weekend, made a few laps, and paid for the trip.

Thanks to my chauffeur The Legend, our pit, uh, person, Tim Davis, chef Ron Ortiz, etc... sorry I didn't get to see more people, between being pitted on the other side, and the tire debacle.

Was way behind with work, now way, way behind... may skip Bradenton to try to catch up, and shoot for Gainesville. Double-header at Immokalee this weekend: Pro-Am Saturday, Sportsman National on Sunday (Nat'l event contingency) Y'all should stay home, I could use the paycheck. ('cept for Ortiz... he's part of the booked-in show!)

RE: car counts... Legend is right. Despite car counts being low, they were actually up from last year. On a tangentially related note, I did a great deal of research into doing a US Class Nationals type race, but how can a promoter actually *trust* S/SS racers to show up? It was a sad realization. I'm very happy to see Zane and Van Poppel doing their $10K S/SS race at Numidia this spring, and hope they do well, which is why I'm supporting them. I hope that the rest of the S/SS community shows them the support they deserve.

Several S/SS pics posted on Drag Race Central! http://www.dragracecentral.com/Serie...s=PHOTO-SUMMIT

Last edited by Michael Beard; 01-31-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: DRC pics link
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #49
mtkawboy

Liked 50 Times in 15 Posts

Atta boy to former stock eliminator racer Robert Snowball on his top dragster win
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote