HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts
Default Steel vs Aluminum driveshaft

What if any performance gain would there be going to an aluminum driveshaft. I always weigh the cost vs performance gain before buying anything. If 400.00 is going to get you .01 to .02 on the track then forget it. I race on a budjet I have to make smart purchases. Thanks. Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
richie 2

Liked 147 Times in 67 Posts
Default Re: Steel vs Aluminum driveshaft

X 2...
richie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

ED I doubt you would even see that, save your money as far as i can tell!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodro Josey View Post
ED I doubt you would even see that, save your money as far as i can tell!
Agree with Woodro, not worth the extra $ unless you're after a contingency posting from manufacturer who only pays for the 'premium' series. If it was me I'd rather buy a component proven to yield results (i.e. chiller).
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ran a pretty comprehensive back to back test in a pretty good stocker (96 Corvette) Results? zero performance gain. The aluminum unit is lighter so if you are a proponent of movable ballast, that is a plus.
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Kip Martin with his 289/210 SS/L broke his aluminum one last year. Borrowed a steel one for the remainder of the race. He said it felt like a slug in high gear. I know it lost a few MPH but don't remember the ET loss, if any. Once he put a new aluminum back in, it was back to it's normal self.
I think a lot of questions need to be more directed at "what you got" and not with blanket statements. 5-speeds seem important to little engines over 4-speeds, same with light-weight parts like wheels & drive shafts.
I have all sorts of light parts. Has it helped set records? Probably. Can't complain about 10.50's in D/S and that's not a little engine.
If I had a 327 like yours, I wouldn't hesitate; 327 is probably about borderline on little engines with 350+ taking over from there.
I do understand budgets though! Could you borrow one?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Turner View Post
I ran a pretty comprehensive back to back test in a pretty good stocker (96 Corvette) Results? zero performance gain. The aluminum unit is lighter so if you are a proponent of movable ballast, that is a plus.
And I'll bet a 'Vette has a pretty short length drive shaft w/ a 97" WB so it's hard to compare to the average 108"-112" WB.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff; Not wishing to appear ignorant in the eyes of a guy who claims to be able to make a Rambler aproach warp speed in 1320ft I will admit to having a "short shaft". That being said; I ran an aluminum unit it my 90 Camaro as well with the same end result. I have heard ET gains of up to a tenth with aluminum driveshafts so perhaps you are correct to say that it probably has a lot to do with combinations: a clutch, manual trans and a "short stroke" It makes sense to me that all these guys didnt imagine the performance gains. Any component that reduces rotational mass or unsprung weight is worth consideration in my book and dont feel like the Lone Ranger if you have lost your "budget"; most of us suffer from the very same affliction. Agreeing with Jeff Lee??? Not bad, I do feel.............well.........a little slutty, but a shower will probably help. TT
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
b.guggenmos

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I am just a bracket racer but this subject has always interested me. I have a 65 Comet with a 351C and a 4 speed with a 5:14 gear and a M/T 28x9 tire. I used a 3 1/2" .065 mild steel shaft for over 20 years with no problems. I accidently damaged by denting it so it was time for a replacement. It is 57" center to center.

I called Mark Williams first and they said that according to there critical speed chart I needed a 4" aluminum or carbon fiber shaft. This is a mid 11 second car.
I then called Inland Empire, PST, and several others and I had no two shops agree and what is required. I looked at several critical speed charts online and Mark Williams seemed the most conservative.

I ended up with a 3" Strange chrome moly but I still like the idea of an aluminum shaft. It seems like a good place to loose some rotational weight.

I really enjoy your site and I am anxious to see the results of this thread. Brian
b.guggenmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #10
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts

I tested steel vs al in my SS big block ford. Same day back to back. A-B-A
I gained zip. zero ,nada
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote