HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-16-2023, 09:02 AM   #11
Rick J

Liked 44 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: SS/CS Chevrolet Cylinder Heads...

Why not do an LS style SBC?
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:22 AM   #12
Henrys Toy

Liked 466 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: SS/CS Chevrolet Cylinder Heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA.CK View Post
Why not do an LS style SBC?
Good morning to all,
The unique part of this class is the racer has to use an Iron Cylinder Head.
I do believe that Chevrolet did cast Iron LS cylinder heads, But I don't know if they are legal.
You should contact the NHRA Tech Dept. and find out, that could be a viable option. At this point in time, I would recheck the Rule Book to be certain that rule still stands. Right now parts availability for any engine combination will be an "uphill battle" ! If that LS Head is usable might make it easier to find them, even in used condition.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:11 AM   #13
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrys Toy View Post
Good morning to all,
The unique part of this class is the racer has to use an Iron Cylinder Head.
I do believe that Chevrolet did cast Iron LS cylinder heads, But I don't know if they are legal.
Tidbit of trivia. I believe the only LS to come with iron heads was a 99-00 6.0 truck engine. Would be interesting to see what the cast iron cathedral ports are like compared to their aluminum counterparts.
Liked
Old 11-16-2023, 09:48 PM   #14
Kingpen

Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts

The cast iron ls heads are pretty much as good as the aluminums.I gave up on it but I did spend a lot of money & time on getting some into shape for a cs engine.I had Darin Morgan ,when he was still at Reher-Morrison,do an int & eh port and he molded a modern chamber with epoxy,so I could get them digitized to have them cnc’d.He was very impressed by the airflow achieved and said it was one of the best wedge heads he had done.They were flowing over 300cfm by .500 lift and topped out somewhere in the 360 cfm range with only a 2.055 in valve and 220 or so cc port.I had a set all welded up(chambers & seats) to do a pr to be told that head was not legal,because it was never submitted into the class guide and because it was a truck engine..I think it could be submitted by someone now as it seems tech dept seems to be looser now on aproving some things,and the fact of no castings available on the darts and bow ties…..I still have everything plus about 10 spare castings if anybody is interested…….Victor Penrod
Kingpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:01 PM   #15
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpen View Post
The cast iron ls heads are pretty much as good as the aluminums.I gave up on it but I did spend a lot of money & time on getting some into shape for a cs engine.I had Darin Morgan ,when he was still at Reher-Morrison,do an int & eh port and he molded a modern chamber with epoxy,so I could get them digitized to have them cnc’d.He was very impressed by the airflow achieved and said it was one of the best wedge heads he had done.They were flowing over 300cfm by .500 lift and topped out somewhere in the 360 cfm range with only a 2.055 in valve and 220 or so cc port.I had a set all welded up(chambers & seats) to do a pr to be told that head was not legal,because it was never submitted into the class guide and because it was a truck engine..I think it could be submitted by someone now as it seems tech dept seems to be looser now on aproving some things,and the fact of no castings available on the darts and bow ties…..I still have everything plus about 10 spare castings if anybody is interested…….Victor Penrod
We went thru this and the sticking point is it was never in a passenger car!!!
Old 11-16-2023, 10:06 PM   #16
Kingpen

To add more to this,I had got the World Products ls-hybrid block approved for use in ss modified ONLY ,to be used in this combo when Bruce Bachelder was still there. Bruce told me he & Gracia look at all the info and photos I sent them and told me it was approved and would be put in accepted block list..I had also sent him one of the cast iron ls heads to be approved and was told same thing—approved ,but they were never put on the list and Bruce was gone a couple of months later- I abandoned it and built my 427 instead..Personally think it could be done now,I would even help with some of the legwork…..Victor Penrod
Old 11-16-2023, 10:11 PM   #17
Kingpen

True on the passenger car part,but the reason Bruce was going to accept it was no bow ties,”turbo “ 292 , or dart heads were ever on passenger cars either…..I’m just saying I think it would have a better chance these days of getting accepted…..Victor
Old 11-17-2023, 06:17 AM   #18
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

The LS, LQ4 6.0L, 873 cast iron casting is legal in SS/CS. I have an email from Pat stating so.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #19
Mike Mans

Liked 297 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpen View Post

I think this is the best path forward for a CS combination within the GM family. Those flow numbers would definitely be a front runner when compared to the previously available 23* SBC platform castings. And I certainly trust your experience about the approval process, but it's pretty dumb that a GM casting has to have ANY type of approval to be used in this class. I don't recall having a GM Bowtie Vortec casting approved, or any GM heads prior to that. None of those were ever available on a passenger vehicle, so the iron LS head should be a slam dunk to use in SS/CS since it was a GM part numbered iron head. This would be an awesome CS engine.
Mike Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:57 PM   #20
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mans View Post
I think this is the best path forward for a CS combination within the GM family. Those flow numbers would definitely be a front runner when compared to the previously available 23* SBC platform castings. And I certainly trust your experience about the approval process, but it's pretty dumb that a GM casting has to have ANY type of approval to be used in this class. I don't recall having a GM Bowtie Vortec casting approved, or any GM heads prior to that. None of those were ever available on a passenger vehicle, so the iron LS head should be a slam dunk to use in SS/CS since it was a GM part numbered iron head. This would be an awesome CS engine.
Hi Mike,

If you remember, you and I discussed the LS platform earlier this year. With the selection of Dart cast iron big bore blocks, it should be a threat in the class.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote