Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #11
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: SS/AM Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Owens View Post
My question is if the Edelbrock heads which are on the list as approved castings for certain combinations in stock or super stock can be used in SS Modified. They are not OE but they are approved for Super Stock. For example the 1968 428 Pontiac combination that is allowed to use Edelbrock heads. If I took this combination added a dual four barrel intake and carbs and ran @ 7 #/CID would this combination be legal?
Using your case of the Pontiac engine with the approved Edelbrock cylinder head, you would be in a great disadvantage in SS/AM since Canted and Splayed valve cylinder heads are allowed.
Also understand that the SS Modified classes use Comp Eliminator engines with non-billet cylinder heads.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #12
Karl Owens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know canted/splayed valve heads are allowed but it doesn't mean they're better
Karl Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #13
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts
Question Re: SS/AM Questions?

Quote:
I know canted/splayed valve heads are allowed but it doesn't mean they're better
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
Karl Owens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the fastest AM cars has/had wedge heads
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #15
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Karl,
I read the rules a couple of times and saw what I thought was the answer to your question. Since all classes are presented in the rulebook in an orderly "Building" sequence. The later builds on the first. I was just about to say the Stock and SS aftermarket heads would be allowed because they were allowed in classes before the SS/AM category. That is the way it usually happens, but in this case they are not allowed because one line in the SS/Modified rules projects what heads can be used. The wording says "must be OE head with OE casting number". The answer is NO. I know this is not the answer you were looking for.
To make sure I contacted one of my super secret NHRA Tech mentors and I got this answer to the query. NO. So don't show up with an Edelbrock Head in SS/Modified. Guess that closes the door on anything but a factory part number head.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #16
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I just finished splitting the 2014 rule book into sections and found that Super Stock, Super Stock GT and GT Truck all follow the cylinder head guidelines for SS. Beginning with the Modified groupings, these change, as do a lot of the other overall regs for the cars like full cages required in all machines. Specifically no aluminum heads.

Read Cylinder Heads under SS and compare it to Cylinder Heads under Modified Stock.

Dale
Old 02-07-2014, 02:48 AM   #17
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Dale,
That is what I mean about the rules building on one another, until there is a change in the next class. If you notice when you go from SS to SS GT the wording at the beginning of the GT it will say that GT forllows the SS rules with the exception of the following and go into the GT changed rules. So when it goes into modified it changes the head rules, like you said. Like my NHRA source said when I followed up with a phone call. Read the rules. They say nothing but a Factory part number head. Just my own thought, but If he wants a Ford with an alum head I think there are several available, but not FE's. My buddy RJ told me one time he had some iron FE's that were better than the Edelbrock Fe's, but that was in Stock. Hey, follow the rules. Do some iron heads on the FE and come out and play.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #18
Karl Owens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It makes no sense you cant run an aluminum copy of a factory head but you can use a canted valve SBC head which resembles nothing close to a production head.

What about IHRA?

Super Stock production classes?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
The Mopar heads are, those P5 motors are quite nasty.
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #20
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Quote from Karl: It makes no sense you cant run an aluminum copy of a factory head but you can use a canted valve SBC head which resembles nothing close to a production head.

What about IHRA?

Super Stock production classes?

It is all about the factory part number. If Ford had assigned a factory part number to them they would be legal. That is what makes sense...
You need to have a conversation with Mike Baker @ IHRA about the FE Ebelbrock head. He's the IHRA man!!

Last edited by Adger Smith; 02-07-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote