HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition Tech

Old 10-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
RJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Inline 4 cylinder comp motor

For those that run them, what is the biggest issue facing a inline 4 cylinder comp motor? - vibration?, spread between intake cycles?

I see some with IR setups?, and some with plenums?

Thanks
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Inline 4 cylinder comp motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
For those that run them, what is the biggest issue facing a inline 4 cylinder comp motor? - vibration?, spread between intake cycles?

Thanks
I've been searching the same subjects. And It seems like Individual runner/throttle body. seems to be a little better in the torque department, while not giving up horsepower.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

If I had any questions about 4 cylinder Comp motors, I would be giving Al Ackerman a call... and if you have been watching D1 Comp this season, you would have noticed that he and Dave Ring have tried a couple of different induction systems...
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The induction you'd use would depend on the class, econo classes are running carbs and usually a plenum. But Ambrose and Huettman in their inline six went to a couple of throttle bodies and a plenum this year as well-they had good success. We are still experimenting with that setup and Al would be able to tell you much more next year to be quite honest.
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

RJ,

If you like to think outside the box, look into inboard powerboat racing. There are a lot of 1Liter, 1.5Liter and 2.5Liter racers that are doing some amazing things with inline 4 cylinders. Some are unlimited classes and OMG!!!!

I can imagine some with trannys behind them and in the rails of an alterd screaming down a quarter of a mile instead of bouncing on the water. Most of the boat guys are great to talk with.
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
rod

Location: Kingman, NW AZ. in the middle of the longest stretch of Route 66
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

many years back, norwin plamer from manhattan ks, had two good inline 4 cys, won NHRA world comp. with a datsun inline 6 as i remember. his biggest problem, at that time, was vibration. he used 2 holley 500 CFM 2 V carbs. and the fule would bounce out of the vent tubes!!!! today with better computer generated cams and digital balancer machines, and possibly even a good air flow bench, some of that could be solved.
the first car was really something to see. many hours of thinking.
rod
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
many years back, norwin plamer from manhattan ks, had two good inline 4 cys, won NHRA world comp. with a datsun inline 6 as i remember. his biggest problem, at that time, was vibration. he used 2 holley 500 CFM 2 V carbs. and the fule would bounce out of the vent tubes!!!! today with better computer generated cams and digital balancer machines, and possibly even a good air flow bench, some of that could be solved.
the first car was really something to see. many hours of thinking.
rod
Innovators West will custom make a SFI damper for just about any application. They are making one for me now.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.kansasracingproducts.com/...s/Welcome.html

By the way I was there a few weeks ago.

Last edited by rayfin; 04-19-2010 at 11:27 PM.
rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Thanks
Due to reversion at the higher RPM ranges, caused during the overlap event as it takes place on inline 4-Cylinder engines, the IR setup is more suited to making power when compared to a plenum. I cannot find all the data I accumulated in the past; many years ago, however, the reversion issue was a detriment for power to the extent I could see atomized fuel coming out the stacks of the Weber carburetors at high RPM.

Intakes with plenums required very shallow floors and a lot of work to make power, however, they did not make the power of an IR setup. Also, the lenght of the intake is very important. We built intakes with an aluminum base for the engine and another for the carburetors. For runners, we used hose for Turbo applications with clamps at each end so we could change the runner length easier.

Last edited by SSDiv6; 04-08-2010 at 02:28 PM.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

I am sure the inline 4's are a different animal than the aircooled VW's but the standard for the vw drag engines is the 48 ida's. with IR induction. There are several different performance manifolds options for the Bug engine that utilize a single carb ranging from a 2bbl, or a 4bbl setup. The single carb performance setup on a bug is normally only seen on a mild street car or in a racing class where rules call for stock carburation. I know a lot of the trends in car performance is spread by the monkey see monkey do thing, but when it comes to the quickest n/a aircooled VW's it will have 48 IDA's and IR manifolds. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote