HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2021, 12:20 AM   #1
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts
Default Leaking tire

In the past we coated slicks with a detergent (Dawn?, can't remember) to help seal them up when they had a slow leak. Is there anything better in these modern times??.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:40 AM   #2
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,792 Times in 571 Posts
Default Re: ll tire

I still use Dawn
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-18-2021, 12:41 AM   #3
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,454 Times in 542 Posts
Default Re: Leaking tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
In the past we coated slicks with a detergent (Dawn?, can't remember) to help seal them up when they had a slow leak. Is there anything better in these modern times??.
Many dish soaps contain oils and skin lubricants to prevent the drying of the hands, therefore, its use is not recommended. Clean both the tire and bead with a solvent such as Acetone, MEK or Ether and use Windex as a lubricant for installing the tire. Do not use tire lubricant either.

If the tire starts to turn on the rim, use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive or Permatex High Tack gasket sealant around the bead of wheels. Inflate the tires and if possible, let them sit overnight before using them.

Last edited by SSDiv6; 04-18-2021 at 12:47 AM.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Joe,
It just bubbles out the side wall of a Front MT tire. looks like almost a foam when you soap it. It takes a week for it to leak down enough to even appear it is low on the side wall. These are new tires I bought over a year ago and have not been mounted till last week. Guess I will tube it, but that defeats the purpose of a lite weight wheel and tire.. arg..
Old 04-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,454 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Joe,
It just bubbles out the side wall of a Front MT tire. looks like almost a foam when you soap it. It takes a week for it to leak down enough to even appear it is low on the side wall. These are new tires I bought over a year ago and have not been mounted till last week. Guess I will tube it, but that defeats the purpose of a lite weight wheel and tire.. arg..
Adger,

Many times the bead will get some corrosion and create small and even microscopic pitting that will allow the air to leak. In lieu of a tube, separate the tire from the rim, clean the bead with 500 grit sandpaper, clean both the bead and tire with solvent and apply either weatherstrip adhesive or high-tack adhesive as I suggested earlier. Done this before and it has worked.

Aluminum can be attacked not only by galvanic corrosion , but also by intergranular or exfoliation corrosion when the wheels were formed and the boundary material gets exposed.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Joe it is up in the side wall. Just under the logo. like the logo in the mold caused an issue with the sidewall sealing off.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
BillK

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Joe it is up in the side wall. Just under the logo. like the logo in the mold caused an issue with the sidewall sealing off.
I dont think I would want to run it like that. Maybe, just maybe after taking it off the wheel and looking at the inside but even then it just isnt worth taking a chance with something happening at speed ?

I know you said you bought them over a year ago but a call to the manufacturer would be my first step if they were mine.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

We mounted new MT fronts and rears for the Baby Gators. One rear leaked bad on the sidewalls. Took the tire and a bottle of Dawn to the MT trailer and they knocked one side loose and used the Dawn and no more pressure drop. Have use it for decades.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #9
mschafer

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I used Murphy Oil Soap and Aqua Net hair spray on beads. New tires mounted on new wheels 2 months ago, inflated to 22 Lbs. 2 months ago checked them last week dropped to 18 Lbs.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:52 AM   #10
55 Chevy

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Coca Cola. The regular high sugar one. Slather it up on the sidewall and let it sit in the hot sun for awhile. No leaks anymore.Learned that from a seasoned D6 racer.

Had tried Dawn,Palmolive,Slime. None of them worked. Still weeped through the sidewall,especially on the M/T's.

Permatex High Tack brush on in the can stopped the tire from turning on the rim. Had tried the Aqua net and one of them was turning 3" on the first hit.
55 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote