HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Default How do YOU..... promote drag racing?

Do you promote drag racing, and if so how? Do you feel that it's someone elses job, and all you have to do is race? Would you like to see the sportsman classes thrive with ten deep at the fence? How about more payout for all the long hours spent on your race operation? Do you feel any obligation and/or responsibility to introduce/promote/sell your product to the general public? Have you noticed the pros in NASCAR and NHRA using plain white trailers? I have'nt, I guess it's because they feel the need to promote and generate interest. They actively court the fan and that sells shirts, hats, toys and oh yea...tickets! I know they have funding in place for these programs, and we struggle just to get there with our entry. But I feel we all could do a better job of promoting the sport that we love. With the low car counts, talk of folks quiting, enhancments, etc etc, what are you doing to keep it alive. I know, you race and you promote on your car. But you promote to folks that are already there at the track....they already bought a ticket! We need to attract new fans and that means everyone working towards that common goal. I'm not saying form a picket line with support sportsman signs, but you could get involved in some community functions ie. local car shows, grand openings, school and church functions, etc. And you guys that arrive a day or two early for an event could roll the cars out at a local shopping center or busniess. You can't sell interest when you hide your product in a plain white box, and then you pull it out forty miles outside of town. What do you do to promote the sport you love?
I would involve the track operators and/or NHRA/IHRA. A racer could sign up to be availible for a remote promotion the day before the event starts (those retired, have a sugar daddy, or just are rich and don't need to work)! LOL There should be no problem gathering a dozen racers to participate. And when you do there's a dozen prime parking spots saved at the track with your name for your efforts. Do you get it? It's not hard to understand or do, you just have to put in a little effort. And for you problem childs, don't bitch about them getting the prime spots. They would have been there first anyway and got the spots. Plus they are promoting so you'll have a place to play again next week.

Why have 30 to 50 rigs waiting in line at the track to get in tomorrow. You could have 4 or 5 shows off track at a remote location for thousands to see....think about it! Hold the prime pit spots for those who give the extra effort!!! They would have gotten them anyway!!!

For the folks that must work, that's OK you get a pass. We're working, promoting for you just get here when you can....we'll keep the light on for ya!

Hey, good luck to those racing this weekend and thanks for keeping it alive!

Plan your work......and work you plan
Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
EricArrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How do YOU..... promote drag racing?

Wade...unfortunately between insurance....DOT...and taxes having a plain white trailer has kinda become the norm..
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have done a car show or two, and would do more if the opportunity arises. But I'm not sure the "plain white box" is the issue. People don't want to see the trailer, they want to see the car.

We have had a very highly marked-up trailer, big logos, and all. But the next one (being built now) is going to be very simple, white with a racing stripe. No marking of it's contents. Reasons? Security and concerns about DOT harassment are top of the list.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
d1hitter
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wade , for a good pit spot thats a no Brainer.
where's that like button ?
d1hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Like Chris we do car shows when the schedule permits and while the public has been responsive to race cars at car show the regular car show/cruse night guys some times give us a less than warm response. We also go to swap meets and Performance aftermarket shows.
Keep in mind that when you see advertising on the Pro’s trailers they are being paid to provide an advertising package including signage, uniforms etc. which is intended to maximize the sponsors exposure they don’t do this for the benefit of the sport or the event.
At the NHRA races your not allowed to sell Hats, shirts or toys unless they are sold through the NHRA trailers.
I do try to take time to talk to anyone who both at and away from the track who expresses an interest in my race car or drag racing in general. One of my favorite things is to allow kids to sit in the race car (with the main power switch off of course!)

As far as promotion outside of the race track I would be interested in doing so with out any special considerations for doing so but the race tracks don’t seem interested in promoting anything but national events and as you noted most of us work Monday thru Friday so I think very few of us would have the time to do remote promotions.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've done some offsite promotions with the diesel "Pro Stock" truck I drive. We've had a lukewarm response in some cases (mostly big cities), and a reasonably good response in the smaller towns. We try to target places where people would be favorable towards motorsports but not necessarily into drag racing. Auto parts stores, country music bars, etc. And I don't like country music... And I spent 5 hours at a country music promotion...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: How do YOU..... promote drag racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pliska View Post
I've done some offsite promotions with the diesel "Pro Stock" truck I drive. We've had a lukewarm response in some cases (mostly big cities), and a reasonably good response in the smaller towns. We try to target places where people would be favorable towards motorsports but not necessarily into drag racing. Auto parts stores, country music bars, etc. And I don't like country music... And I spent 5 hours at a country music promotion...
Beats the sh#t out of rap crap !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Back in the Day. NHRA use to offer such a program at selected events.
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote