HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 02-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Regret buying a motorhome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWhitney View Post
So my question to all the Class A owners. do you prefer the 5.9 Diesel pusher or the bigger engine 8.9? diesel pusher. I have a 24 ft. Pace trailer.

Thanks for your input
Don't get a 5.9 unless your rig is super lite, the 8. Is the bet choice,mileage is nearly a wash,plus the 8.3 will do 65 no matter what the wind is doing.We have had 4 mh 2 gasburners 2 diesel one 5.9 one 8.3 350 hp. The best by far.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #22
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

A friend of ours has a 5.9 in a 40 ft Monaco with a 28 ft trailer golf cart and mustang SSer. I takes quite a while to get rolling, but has no issues on the highway. We have a 34 ft Monaco 1994 with a basic 8.3 cummins and it will walk all over him pulling our 24 ft with golf cart and Nova on board. If you are patient and not pulling a stacker a 5.9 can work. I think he gets about 9 mpg and we get 7.5 to 8.5 depending on how fast we go. I would say the 8.3 is a great deal over a 5.9 if you can find one. Also, a real plus with any diesel Rv is the diesel generator. That is a huge upgrade over LP. You can run them round the clock and they run off the main fuel tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWhitney View Post
So my question to all the Class A owners. do you prefer the 5.9 Diesel pusher or the bigger engine 8.9? diesel pusher. I have a 24 ft. Pace trailer.

Thanks for your input
Old 03-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #23
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,680 Times in 852 Posts

I'd add another plus for the larger Cummins; on some models you get the side radiator which is much better for cooling when you've got an enclosed trailer (think dead pocket of air right behind the coach) and maintaining yourself if much easier.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
I'd add another plus for the larger Cummins; on some models you get the side radiator which is much better for cooling when you've got an enclosed trailer (think dead pocket of air right behind the coach) and maintaining yourself if much easier.
Me and a buddy used to travel together all the time and he had a rear radiator and I had a side, his was out every few years because it would clog with road gunk and he would overheat, mine never had an issue.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #25
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

As the owner of a 2015 Thor Hurricane 34 ft Class A gas MH I'll add my $0.02

If you are going to go with a gas MH try to get one with the 22" wheels not the
19" wheels.

For a gas MH plan on spending about $1000 to purchase a Safe-T-Steer for
the front and a track bar for the rear to help control sway in the wind. Mine also
has sway bars front and rear.

Most gas MH's only have a 5000 lb tow rate so if you plan on towing a trailer
plan on spending more $$ to beef up the rear frame to support it all.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #26
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

Over the years I have owned a gas class A and C, a diesel pusher, and now I have a truck based class C motorcoach.
From my perspective the Truck Based motorcoach or Toter is the way to go if at all possible because of the heavy duty nature of the unit. Brake and stopping is the biggest thing you gain with a truck based unit in my opinion.
The diesel pusher is the second best but a lack braking was an issue when pulling a trailer of any size. If you choose a pusher be sure to get at least 350 HP and the largest displacement engine along with at least a 6 speed transmission. You need that if you plan to pull a trailer of any size.
I pulled a 28ft Goldrush (not a stacker) with the 350 HP pusher which was on a Spartan Bus chassis and breaking even with the air brakes was still an issue.
The gas class A and C had the breaking issues and both needed work on the frame to beef up the capacity for trailer pulling. Hills were also an issue in the hills and mountain passes.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX

Last edited by 63corvette; 03-15-2017 at 06:49 PM.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #27
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63corvette View Post
Over the years I have owned a gas class A and C, a diesel pusher, and now I have a truck based class C motorcoach.
From my perspective the Truck Based motorcoach or Toter is the way to go if at all possible because of the heavy duty nature of the unit. Brake and stopping is the biggest thing you gain with a truck based unit in my opinion.
The diesel pusher is the second best but a lack braking was an issue when pulling a trailer of any size. If you choose a pusher be sure to get at least 350 HP and the largest displacement engine along with at least a 6 speed transmission. You need that if you plan to pull a trailer of any size.
I pulled a 28ft Goldrush (not a stacker) with the 350 HP pusher which was on a Spartan Bus chassis and breaking even with the air brakes was still an issue.
The gas class A and C had the breaking issues and both needed work on the frame to beef up the capacity for trailer pulling. Hills were also an issue in the hills and mountain passes.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
I had the same experience with a spartan chassis pusher with an 8.3 350 Cummins, ran great and pulled a moderate load just fine but I never felt comfortable with the brakes, even with the trailer brakes set to kill. I also moved to a freightliner chassis and a 14l detroit, now I don't even need trailer brakes and barely use the mh brakes with the engine brake. IMO mine isn't as nice inside as a fully decked out motorhome but damn do I feel safer.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #28
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hitman,

You are hearing a lot of good opinions here, and hands on advice.
I had an old class C first with small trailer years ago. Then went newer used 35' class A. Mistake was the V10 Ford motor... not a good motor for me, not good power for towing.
Motorhome was GREAT with 2 small kids. We also had to travel long trips to family, and especially with baby, wife was much happier. Was great at the track. Pulled 24' box with 3400 lb stocker ok. Used it for some vacations, lake time, etc.
As several have said, repairs and upkeep is real. Real pain sometimes, but most things are. When I stopped traveling to race (oldest started Jr's and we stayed local and I bracket raced) we sold the RV. Miss it some days. Have a 32' trailer with AC in it, and very few overnight races, so not too bad. Much smarter now for me.
RV has great benefits for family at the track, and especially if you are going to use it for vacations, etc.
Most all will say get a DP if you can swing it. Gas motor is OK, especially if racing close to home. GM motor preferred.
If and when you sell, it will not be worth as much as you think usually... but, consider the value you got. Also not always easy to sell... look at all the ones for sale. Another reason to find a real deal on the front end.
One thing not really mentioned much is the 5th wheel trailer option. Depending on what truck you have now, a 48' or 50' with slide trailer might be an option. Some really nice ones out there, but probably more $ than a nice RV. But, it is an option. Would get you about the living space of many RV's. Self contained, so you can claim on taxes just like an RV if you finance.
Good luck with what ever route you go.

Ken
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote