HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-28-2014, 02:43 AM   #21
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: All racers please read this reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Most track should offer an area that anyone can operate their trans brake in, where there is no danger to anyone. Jack stand are a must, just two weeks ago I saw a young man with his family under his car without jack stand, I left my pit and brought him two good J.K.S and he refused my offer. All I could say to him is that his pregnant wife won't be able to save his du$& ar&e when the car come crashing on him! Some people you can bring to the water but you can't make them drink it.CR
The problem with having common sense is having to deal with the people who do not
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #22
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
NHRA has apparently also decreed that electrons flow from the cathode to the anode, and therefore the shutoff switch is on the + side. The laws of physics and common sense do not apply at NHRA races.
Actually, this makes sense in a race car. If the cut-off were on the ground side and metal contacted that terminal or wire in a wreck, the circuit would be complete and current would flow to all the engine electronics and fuel pump. Cut the positive and current to the systems is stopped.

Dale
Old 05-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
dartman

Liked 68 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
Didn't somene get killed out west several years ago, testing a trans brake, and crashed into a trailer.

Accident at Fontana

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...nt-claims-life

You hear it all the time in the pits with people and there trans brakes.

Last edited by dartman; 05-28-2014 at 02:25 PM.
dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich67stang View Post
This is the way most .90 guys (myself included) set/test throttle stop rpm before actually making a run. If we have to put it up on jack stands to do it, so be it, not a big deal.
Rusty2211 is right. Listen any morning in the pits and it sounds like Jurassic park.
Why is there a need to "test" the throttle stop RPM? Every NHRA accepted delay box is digital and the desired RPM is set to a particular value. Have you ever "tested" it and found it to not be the RPM that you set? It sounds like something that is done habitually and has no real useful purpose, sort of like motorcycle riders who cannot let their bikes simply idle at a stop light and have to continually wing the engine. No purpose, just a habit and an annoyance, but a dangerous one in this case.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #25
Alan Kenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Every NHRA accepted delay box is digital and the desired RPM is set to a particular value" Absolutely, completely wrong! Just the opposite is true. You CANNOT set or control throttle stop RPM with a legal delay box!!!!!!!!!!!
Alan Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #26
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Rusty2211 is right. Listen any morning in the pits and it sounds like Jurassic park.
Why is there a need to "test" the throttle stop RPM? Every NHRA accepted delay box is digital and the desired RPM is set to a particular value. Have you ever "tested" it and found it to not be the RPM that you set? It sounds like something that is done habitually and has no real useful purpose, sort of like motorcycle riders who cannot let their bikes simply idle at a stop light and have to continually wing the engine. No purpose, just a habit and an annoyance, but a dangerous one in this case.
Mr Harris, the amount of time a car is on the throttle stop is controlled by a delay box but not the rpms. The rpms while on the stop are controlled by the blades that close, and changing weather conditions can affect what the rpms are.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #27
Stephen Hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will never and have never been under a car without jack stands, but I'm plenty guilty of not being in the car with it running with it sitting on the ground to check timing, look for leaks or whatever else. This year at Houston National event I had a funny noise in the engine after my second TT. I worked on the car for several hours and when I thought I had it fixed, I fired it up and was still hearing a squeaking noise. I had the car on the ground idling with my wife's SUV parked in front of it. I was listening trying to pinpoint where the noise was coming from. Next thing I know an nhra official had jumped a muddy ditch and was walking my way. I knew what was coming so I shut then engine off, listened to the lecture and just said "yes sir" and he left. He wasn't very friendly but hey I was breaking a rule and he did have to jump that muddy ditch to come lecture me. The car was in park and the wife's car was 5 ft in front of it. I think maybe this is one of those deals they are just getting fired up about enforcing the rule for some reason. I have seen plenty of nhra regulars with their stuff running facing the pit roads etc with nobody in the car...sometimes though, like those nice corner pit spots, it depends on who you are if the rules are enforced and what rules are enforced. Stuff like this and the tether rule is why I only run the big show once a year any more.
Stephen Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #28
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Mr Harris, the amount of time a car is on the throttle stop is controlled by a delay box but not the rpms. The rpms while on the stop are controlled by the blades that close, and changing weather conditions can affect what the rpms are.
Then correct Rich67stang, not me. I haven't ever run a car with a throttle stop so what do I know? I know that there are dozens of cars testing something, stall speed, two step setting, whatever. In any case the situation remains the same. Anyone on any morning at any NHRA event can hear countless cars testing whatever it is they are testing and it isn't the stock or super stock cars that are doing it. If the racers are conforming to rule 9:14 as quoted in the original post, then have at it. If not, then don't gripe about being called out for it.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #29
dragracer2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hughes View Post
I will never and have never been under a car without jack stands, but I'm plenty guilty of not being in the car with it running with it sitting on the ground to check timing, look for leaks or whatever else. This year at Houston National event I had a funny noise in the engine after my second TT. I worked on the car for several hours and when I thought I had it fixed, I fired it up and was still hearing a squeaking noise. I had the car on the ground idling with my wife's SUV parked in front of it. I was listening trying to pinpoint where the noise was coming from. Next thing I know an nhra official had jumped a muddy ditch and was walking my way. I knew what was coming so I shut then engine off, listened to the lecture and just said "yes sir" and he left. He wasn't very friendly but hey I was breaking a rule and he did have to jump that muddy ditch to come lecture me. The car was in park and the wife's car was 5 ft in front of it. I think maybe this is one of those deals they are just getting fired up about enforcing the rule for some reason. I have seen plenty of nhra regulars with their stuff running facing the pit roads etc with nobody in the car...sometimes though, like those nice corner pit spots, it depends on who you are if the rules are enforced and what rules are enforced. Stuff like this and the tether rule is why I only run the big show once a year any more.
X2, the generator exhaust rule is seldom enforced, I think it is a good rule, just should be enforced EQUALLY, no matter where you are parked or who you are.
dragracer2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #30
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Bill I agree 110% but the vast majority of offenders are comp S/C S/G T/S and T/D or go by the Alcohol pits sometime and check out those jokers usually on 1 jack stand and a pair of those cheapie drive up tin ramps. T/S guys are getting just as crazy we'ver seen several of those things fall off of their lift jacks from over zealous motor winging especially down south certain tracks like rockingham and clay city have zero pit patrol and try to say something to one of those guys and right away they want to fight Truthfully I'm getting too old for that ***** so I just go get our german shepherds Lucy and Neko and let themm do the negotiating. ;-)

http://www.moneymakerracing.net/elizabeths_page
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote