Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #71
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubski View Post
there should be teardown for winners and runners up,race should be done on saturday if possible to allow time to do it . but that aint gonna happen cause nhra dont give a ***** who wins or what they do to win. nhra wont spend the money to have a by the book tech dept with the balls to enforce the rules.[why should they when you will give them ridiculous entry fees now to get hosed at every race]. who would wanna be a tech inspector anyway for the pitance they pay them and a good shot at getting into a fight trying to tell someone that just cause their head doesnt have nice cnc marks on it doesnt mean that its not altered. times are a changing in racing and life in general and going by the rules is not so admirable anymore. the new mentality is whatever it takes to get mine ,right or wrong and it cannot be undone. class racing needs ridgid enforcement of the rules , or it becomes just another bracket race [no offense to bracket people] but the way its going its gonna be like nmra type racing with very loose rules and only a few combos that are competitive.
Good post. One reason why I quit over 10 years ago. NHRA and IHRA has/had some great tech people but the cylinder head deal went out of control many moons ago. Everyone became law suit crazy over a hobby. Not to mention light cranks, rods, Shubeck style lifters, aftermarket pistons in stock with moved valve reliefs, etc. This might pizz off some on here but I really dont care. Stock has become a joke. S/S has become WAY to expensive to be a front runner for the pay outs one can expect to win unless you run a car in BRACKET MODE !

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 12-14-2011 at 08:49 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

I realize opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.
That being said, back in the day anyone could run fast enough for next to nothing for an investment. Today, most can't because there is always someone will to make a larger investment. Shoe polish is the great equalizer. The class trophy comes with lots of money, pride and hard work. The eliminator trophy comes with a very consistent race car that can dial the index or faster, a very skillful driver that has both ends of the track mastered and is a artist with the shoe polish.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #73
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

"Back in the day" those parts were just as hard to afford because we didn't make as much money back then. Inflation makes prices from that time look a lot cheaper. I think anybody that says different wasn't actually racing "back in the day".

Prize money has not changed. We could win as much in the mid '70s as now. It sure went a lot further than it does now, that's for sure.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #74
pauldilcher

Liked 53 Times in 9 Posts

Well , here is my button . If you thought it was easy to go fast , ` back in the day ` you should have been there . No bogus index , you had to run the National Record . Ed has the whole money deal right down to a tee .
pauldilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #75
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7423 View Post
back in the day anyone could run fast enough for next to nothing for an investment.
Not the way I remember it. There sure were alot of racers sitting on the sidelines that didn't win class so no shot in the eliminator. You had to win class to be eligible to run the eliminator. And "fast enough" was the fastest in that class on that particular day. And the winner and runner up tore down period. I have tore down in a field, in the rain, at night, while the tech guy slept in his car. And I wouldn't like it today the same way I didn't like it way back then, but if it was required I would do it.
Some have been dumbed down to the point of not only not working on their cars, they don't want to. Its easier to get a rule changed than to abide by it. And thats BS. Money will buy you a fast bullet but if you don't have a clue how to tune or maintain it you won't be fast long. And you will need to have a pretty good racecar to start with that has to be adjusted frequently and maintained.
Yes its expensive, way too expensive with all the rule changes every other week and the crap interpretations of the way the rule book is written changing from event to event.
Should racing go back to the "good ole' days". I don't think it would last a season mostly due to the fact that we have become spoiled by all the allowances.

Danny Waters, I am sorry to see you leave S/SS. Your Gt car effort was admirable. Hope to see you and your son back in S/SS at some point.
SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You guys are going waaaaay back. Our differences lie in the definition of "back in the day". I am speaking of the early 80's. I remember all having a reasonable index and cars were not factored to death. Back when one could be competitive while really being stock.
Just was alot more fun then.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #77
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7423 View Post
You guys are going waaaaay back. Our differences lie in the definition of "back in the day". I am speaking of the early 80's. I remember all having a reasonable index and cars were not factored to death. Back when one could be competitive while really being stock.
Just was alot more fun then.
Nope. Even in the early 80's you had to work VERY hard just to get a couple of tenths under. If the air was bad you were out of luck. I was there and I know how much we had to work and spend. As usual, the guys with the deep pockets went the fastest.