HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #21
Danny Ashley

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

I had a customer that asked me to build him a "Qualifying" Q-Jet to which I said no. I said,"If you did have one, what would happen if you got sealed?" He told me he found out the manufacturer of the sealant that NHRA uses and ordered every color. Someone is always going to find a way.
Danny Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #22
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's been done for at least 35 years! It was real easy at Indy when tear down was at Paul Harvey Ford, Columbus when done at Mayos Trans shop, and Beach Bend at Camping World! Unless you do a tear down right after a the run anything is Questionable

QUOTE=Jody Lang;298081]Is "seal" a real deterrent?

Couldn't anyone carry their own "seal" to do touch ups if needed?[/QUOTE]
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Ashley View Post
I had a customer that asked me to build him a "Qualifying" Q-Jet to which I said no. I said,"If you did have one, what would happen if you got sealed?" He told me he found out the manufacturer of the sealant that NHRA uses and ordered every color. Someone is always going to find a way.
You are right Danny.
That is why rules are made ,so they can be broke or bent especially bent!!!!!...
Now days there are not enough tech guys t o perform these duties.
I used to go with Kenny Koonce Sr back in the day and they did a lot more tear-downs then than now,and you never knew when it was your turn ,fast or not......Ahhhhh the good ole days....
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
I like the way IHRA does teardown now before record run,that way car is making record attempt it has already been verified it's legal.
If I was wanting to be sure I had all legal field of cars I would change to all cars had to be verified legal before being allowed to race,then seal engine and as long as seal is'nt broken you're good.
Mike Taylor
I have done this for the last two years. It sure is nice to be able to go to a race and be able to win or set a record and already have the tear down out of the way! I plan on doing it again this January. It also makes for happier tech guys if they know they don't have to tear you down! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #25
winstonindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ruset View Post
You ain't going to stop cheating so don't beat your head against a wall. What needs to be done is enforce the safety rules. I can tell you from my own experience, that the last time an NHRA Tech guy asked me to place my transmission in gear and attempt to start the engine was back in 2007 at Bradenton. I wonder how many cars are lacking the neutral safety switches. Safety right now is what we should concern ourselves about.
I obviously didnt tech your car this year.

I asked every driver this year to do this at the races I worked tech. Many said I was the FIRST to ever ask them to do that. Some guys looked at me like I was joking. Several almost flatout refused. Many thanked me for being thorough. Even sent a few back to the trailer because the neutral safety didnt work. Since I work tech AND safety I might look at things differently.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #26
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Back in the 80's IHRA would randomly pick either S-SS-or Modified. All class winners/qualifiers would go to tech. I remember several times we had to teardown at those races.
Chip
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #27
boster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

Run what you brung , Limited tech , cubic inch and carb or trottle body super charger size for engine claimed for that year forget the rest . Nothing is stock anymore and nothing is super stock either . Tech cars when you ckeck in , when you win class and if you win or RU race

This would save the sanctioning bodies a lot of grief and the racers would sort it out on the track

Last edited by boster; 12-11-2011 at 12:07 AM.
boster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #28
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boster View Post
Run what you brung , Limited tech , cubic inch and carb or trottle body super charger size for engine claimed for that year forget the rest . Nothing is stock anymore and nothing is super stock either . Tech cars when you ckeck in , when you win class and if you win or RU race

This would save the sanctioning bodies a lot of grief and the racers would sort it out on the track
Bo, I'm sure you've run this one past your broker already because even you won't last long under those rules. Not to mention, when it goes away for lack of participation in a couple of years it's an expensive bracket car. Or maybe you could just sit on it for 20 years and restore it for B-J.
If it gets that bad I still like my idea, engine has to look stock, stock hood, 9" tire, no class designation, no heads-up. Everyone just dials in and races. We could just call the whole thing "Stock". Or ET-2.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #29
chris tinberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK guys ,wonderful concepts here .the problems with cheaters is if enough people cheat ie.e- legal crankshafts,NHRA just makes em legal so they won't get sued and don't forget cylinder heads that got ruined about 30 years ago . i am all for policing the rules but some times we have to ask ourselves "whats the damn point" !chris
chris tinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

Just run it til they make it s/ss combo then eventually it will all go away and then we will all be bracket racing with one other option and that is QUIT !......It is coming and not as far away as you think either...