HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

Is there still the rule of protest against a potential non legal car? Why not inform the rule stretchers of your potential protest and allow them to comply or back out gracefully? Or would that create a threatening situation within the big happy family and empty the field?

Just asking!

Peter Ash
Peter Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

Chad I think you are on to something.. but I agree with Billy, the cheaters will simply stay out of the top 10. Why don't they go back to at the very least putting that cool orange paint on your carburetor like they did when I was a kid? Also, maybe NHRA could go out and find some retired racers who know the ins and outs of the old combos?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought the Big go at Great Bend was to eliminate the Heaters. Any heads up winner should be inspected. -Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

I think you should have your engine sealed when entering a race.
Once engine is sealed the seal cannot be removed without a tear-down, except for a carb change and the carb should be inspected at this time and re-sealed.
As far as the engine seal goes ,once it is sealed it can be checked at random for any given race and should be told this. If seal has been broken before actual tear-down then it is considered to have been illegal in the first place and should be DQ'd on the spot.
The DQ time will be determined on how many races was run before actual tear-down.
If you know your engine is legal then you should not have a problem with this system.
If you want to make changes before you have been torn down then you still must go through tear=down. Say you went to 4 races before you actually got torn down and you were foung illegal, then the penalty should be 4 races and then come back and torn down before you race and get a diff (certain) color seal showing you have been torn down,.
Also let that seal be good for the rest of the season.

In IHRA ,we have gone to the engine builder's shops and checked engines. After engine was approved it was sealed on the spot and was good for the current year.And has to be torn down again for the next year......Kind of like a chassis cert,but a little diff.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny waters sr View Post
Once engine is sealed the seal cannot be removed without a tear-down, except for a carb change and the carb should be inspected at this time and re-sealed.
As far as the engine seal goes ,once it is sealed it can be checked at random for any given race and should be told this. If seal has been broken before actual tear-down then it is considered to have been illegal in the first place and should be DQ'd on the spot.
The DQ time will be determined on how many races was run before actual tear-down.
If you know your engine is legal then you should not have a problem with this system.
If you want to make changes before you have been torn down then you still must go through tear=down. Say you went to 4 races before you actually got torn down and you were foung illegal, then the penalty should be 4 races and then come back and torn down before you race and get a diff (certain) color seal showing you have been torn down,.

In IHRA ,we have gone to the engine builder's shops and checked engines. After engine was approved it was sealed on the spot and was good for the current year.And has to be torn down again for the next year......Kind of like a chassis cert,but a little diff.
I have had my engine sealed within the last year, forget where, probably the sports nationals. If you are saying to paint the carb, intake, and a head bolt, that's not a bad idea
Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

I like the way IHRA does teardown now before record run,that way car is making record attempt it has already been verified it's legal.
If I was wanting to be sure I had all legal field of cars I would change to all cars had to be verified legal before being allowed to race,then seal engine and as long as seal is'nt broken you're good.
Mike Taylor
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
fredjohnston

Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny waters sr View Post

What happens when someone freshens up their motor or changes engines during the year???? This breaks the seal or in the case of an engine change, shows up with no seal at all.
fredjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: All major event s/ss winners undrgo tech inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjohnston View Post
What happens when someone freshens up their motor or changes engines during the year???? This breaks the seal or in the case of an engine change, shows up with no seal at all.
In those cases the engine should be checked before freshening to prove it was legal .
If you know you are to freshen it then have it checked before you freshen it.(you are going to tear it down anyway) , so do it at the track before you leave....
I know there will be diff situations as always.
These are just ideas anyway and some are good and some are debatable....at any rate it is better than doing nothing...and everyone has a sealed engine from the start knowing it could be torn down at any time and punished if wrong.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
NewHemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The way schedules are set up for most Stock and Super Stock races is that there is no time before the races to tear down.

We tore down before the record run attemp in Las Vegas because the way that race is set up, we weren't scheduled to run until very late in the day instead of the usual 8:00 am call to the lanes at every other race.

But more teardowns are indeed needed. We had one car that beat us for class, was running illegal, determined much later, and didnt get torn down at that race. That same car, running an illegal engine, got us several horsepower hits too.

David

The New Hemi Guy
NewHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
Jody Lang

Liked 81 Times in 25 Posts

Is "seal" a real deterrent?

Couldn't anyone carry their own "seal" to do touch ups if needed?
Jody Lang is offline   Reply With Quote