HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts
Default Re: 55 gal drum: What transfer pump to use?

I think you are reading it wrong as far as pressurizing goes. I am reading it as adding slightly more pressure than the ambient air pressure which would flow the fuel from one barrel to another. It takes less pressure to move the fuel than what is within the barrel when they "pop" with temperature changes.

It is exactly the inverse of siphoning where you are pulling a vacuum. In both instances you are adding air/oxygen to the original barrel. And you are adding air/oxygen when using a transfer pump.

Even the fuel tank in your car/truck has an air vent that draws air/oxygen into it as the fuel pump removes it during consumption. I think you and Bob are referring to situations that truly pressurize the barrels way beyond what was suggested. YMMV.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRatcliff View Post
I think you are reading it wrong as far as pressurizing goes. I am reading it as adding slightly more pressure than the ambient air pressure which would flow the fuel from one barrel to another. It takes less pressure to move the fuel than what is within the barrel when they "pop" with temperature changes.

It is exactly the inverse of siphoning where you are pulling a vacuum. In both instances you are adding air/oxygen to the original barrel. And you are adding air/oxygen when using a transfer pump.

Even the fuel tank in your car/truck has an air vent that draws air/oxygen into it as the fuel pump removes it during consumption. I think you and Bob are referring to situations that truly pressurize the barrels way beyond what was suggested. YMMV.
No, I understand exactly what you are doing. You are using low pressure to push the fuel out using the same principle as a hyd. jack uses to raise a car.
The issue is adding air/oxygen to the vessel/barrel.
Gasoline has a vapor pressure as all liquids do and will evaporate when it is in an open container. That is the reason for the bungs to be in the barrel when partially full and keep it from going into a vapor. Those vapors fill the void as gasoline is removed.
It is true some air comes in but in very small amounts and air contains only about 19% oxygen. Oxygen is the problem. Much much less than putting an air hose to the barrel. That air amount is what causes the problem and the less liquid in the barrel the greater the danger as that allows more air which in turn is more oxygen.

Like I stated I worked in the oil and gas industry for 40 plus years before retirement and tested and disposed of many barrels over the years. We always used an explosive meter to test the barrels before doing anything with them.
Trust me on this pressurizing a barrel is a bad idea as it is not a pressure vessel and using air instead of an inert gas like nitrogen is a really bad idea.
I do not want to see anyone injured and pressurizing a barrel with air will cause someone to be injured at some point. Maybe not the first or tenth time but at some point it will happen.
Buy a pump and handle gasoline with care as it can be dangerous if not handled properly.
We all pump gas into our tanks daily and most of us do not realize really how dangerous it really is.

I am old and this is my experience.
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts

The VP Truck sells those pumps at all events, Pumps, jugs, barrel wrenches, funnels, caps with filler hoses (those are the best) spare caps & vent caps.

PLUS free "fuel" calendars!

Remember when using those pumps once you get it flowing, you can stop pumping and use the vent to continue the siphon transfer, It takes no time to empty out a drum.
I've seen racers buy drums of methanol at the track and pump it into jugs to save the additional drum charge!

Last edited by Greg Barsamian; 04-04-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Jeff Goss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought mine for about $15 at my local Farmer's supply store. It's all plastic, and had been pumping race fuel for the last 15 years. It is a litle slow, though.
Jeff Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Grainger has a big selection of transfer pumps .Most auto parts stores have the plastic pumps as well . Keep in mind that the pumps for alcohol get a little tricky . Ethanol may damage certain pumps , so will methanol .So be sure you get the correct pump for the fuel you're working with .
Something as simple as laying the drum on it's side and using a petroleum compatible spigot has worked for many racers over the years , but should the spigot start leaking you'll have a huge mess to clean up . And a serious fire potential .
NEVER pressurize a fuel drum or can to get the fuel out . There are easier and much safer methods .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Just bought one of the plastic pumps today at the local circle track parts house. $17.00

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRatcliff View Post

Lets do a little Middle School math................

55 gallon drum has a diameter of 22"

Area of a circle (end of drum) = 2Pi x R squared

Area = 760 square inches

760 square inches X 25psi = 19,006 pounds of force against the barrel end...

You might want to rethink your position on the safety of low air pressure in a non-pressure vessel.....

Bob
Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

You might want to reread what I said. It is in your quote. I never said to pressurize it to 25 psi. You did.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I did it that way for years. Used a paint gun regulator. Doesn't take 5 psi to push it out. 2 or 3 will do it.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I use one of these........... http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIoBEPMCMAE
Not the fastest but gets the job done.....
Like to put on my "gas station attendant" hat when I am pumping...

Last edited by rallye bob; 04-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.
rallye bob is offline   Reply With Quote