Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
Default Re: Anyone test Renegade fuel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Frank, I think fogging it is a good idea with any fuel. I've never had any problems with plug either. Mine clean right up. Maybe I don't fog mine as heavy?
This is new to me personally. have always run Sunoco with no problem until recently. My local supplier has handling issues which bit me @ E-Town. Along with the possible closure of the PA refinery that has been making the race fuel.
Ran VP C-12 the end of last season. The exhaust valves were really beat up. Was told that is an issue with VP. Need to fog the engine when stored for more than a few days. The funny thing is that some racers who do not fog their engines make some of the best runs before the freshen up that exposed the beat up valve. So go figure but I would rather the engine come apart clean.

Frank
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

Mike perhaps you missed my post/question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
Renegade is as good as people say .
But are they a refiner/are they producing the fuel or buying the fuel and reselling and if not a refiner who is making the fuel they sell?

Never heard of them until a few months ago.

As for Torco, used it one time and never again. Leaked past my carb gaskets and stained my intake manifold. Sunoco nor VP have ever done that.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Mike perhaps you missed my post/question...

But are they a refiner/are they producing the fuel or buying the fuel and reselling and if not a refiner who is making the fuel they sell?

Never heard of them until a few months ago.

As for Torco, used it one time and never again. Leaked past my carb gaskets and stained my intake manifold. Sunoco nor VP have ever done that.
No , i didn't miss your post , i just wasn't sure what question you wanted answered .
I can't tell you too much about your Torco problem , could have been an issue with the brand of gasket you were using . Staining comes from the dye used in race fuels to distinguish one from another . Some companies use more dye than others , but all race fuels can and do stain . Race engine builders have long used the traces of dye to follow race fuel through the manifold and head ports to get an idea of flow .

Renegade hasn't done nearly as much advertising over the years as some companies . Doesn't mean they aren't as good or even better . Just means they spend their money on other things like R&D . They have recently stepped up the marketing , that's probably why you starting hearing more about them .

ALL race gasolines are refined , there's no other way to make race gasoline . They start with base stock . And then EVERY race fuel company buys compounds and chemicals from a number of sources to add to the base stock to create their own version of the best . And that's where the differences between race fuel brands come into play . Race gas formulas can be manipulated to make them do a wide variety of things . You can blend for max power , or you can blend for max torque . Or you can blend for mileage ( think NASCAR ) . And of course you can blend in certain compounds and chemicals to work with nitrous or supercharging/turbocharging . In F1 , race gasoline is also blended specifically for weight , every pound saved is an advantage .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #24
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

I doubt most of the race fuel companies have their own refineries, except for the major oil companies like Sunoco and Conoco/Phillips. Here is a list of refineries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...#United_States

I don't see VP listed in San Antonio, but there is a NuStar Energy there. I'm sure VP blends various chemicals from the refinery to make their fuels. In general, the short chain alkanes have the higher octane ratings, but they also evaporate at the lower temperatures. Aromatics like benzene, xylene and toluene have good octane ratings. Well, one of the three xylenes do, the other two not so good. Here is a company that provides blendstocks for example:

http://www.texasaromatics.com/pages/blendstocks.html

It could be that some of the race fuels are blended at the refinery to the companies specifications.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
1320racer
VIP Member

Thanks for the reply Mike even though you did your best to not answer my question.

Regardless, I ain't switching brands. I don't chose my brand of race fuel based on price and I would think most competitive stock/super racers don't either.

I'll wait and watch for initial as well long term user feedback from those I deem credible.

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-24-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Andrew Hill

Liked 170 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mike even though you did your best to not answer my question.

Regardless, I ain't switching brands. I don't chose my brand of race fuel based on price and I would think most competitive stock/super racers don't either.

I'll wait and watch for initial as well long term user feedback from those I deem credible.
You definitely can choose fuel based on price and still run fast. Our cars run just as well on sunoco purple as C11 and it's a lot cheaper.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
1320racer
VIP Member

Cheaper than VP...yes.

I run Sunoco Blue because Sunoco Race Fuels are sold at nearly every track I race. That said, I have run the equivalent VP and have not seen an increase or decrease in performance only a lighter wallet.

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-24-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #28
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

If you're happy with the race fuel you're running , there's no reason to switch . I don't advocate using any brand of race fuel just because it's cheaper . And i certainly don't recommend using a race fuel that's wildly overpriced or over-hyped so it must be better .. But when it's better and less money , that's the time to take a good look at using a different product .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #29
1320racer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
If you're happy with the race fuel you're running , there's no reason to switch . I don't advocate using any brand of race fuel just because it's cheaper . And i certainly don't recommend using a race fuel that's wildly overpriced or over-hyped so it must be better .. But when it's better and less money , that's the time to take a good look at using a different product .
when/IF Renegade is proven to me to be better, then I might consider trying it but still would not switch from Sunoco or VP which are widely available at the tracks I race.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #30
td1332

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did a back to back test at the end of last season with the Renegade K16 vs the VP Q16. I had been running the VP regularly for the past 2 seasons and work a Deal to become a dealer for them from my shop so I decided to do a back to back test. I have a 632 dragster with 2 Book carbs and 18 degree duke heads. I did the test to 1000 ft because I was racing and out of the gas so when I got eliminated from competition I went back and switched the fuel and went right back up for a time run with the VP car went 1.085 60ft and 6.2227 @ 166.72and with the Renegade K16 car went 1.092 60ft and 6.2224 @ 167.14 these passes are within 20 min of each other and if anyone want to see time slips to verify that is possible. Anyone in the New York area looking for and Renegade product can call me Vince Musolino 3152548408
td1332 is offline   Reply With Quote