HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
hemidup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jerico tranmission

I've heard that a few guys have used them in Stock Eliminator, but I can't find any solid info if its NHRA accepted as an aftermarket transmission. I couldn't find anything on the NHRA site. Maybe I looked in the wrong places? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Jerico tranmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidup View Post
I've heard that a few guys have used them in Stock Eliminator, but I can't find any solid info if its NHRA accepted as an aftermarket transmission. I couldn't find anything on the NHRA site. Maybe I looked in the wrong places? Any info would be appreciated.
a few? Like 90%
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Jerico tranmission

Roger that. The Jerico is most common, many Gforce and a few G101s. All good stuff too.

The Jerico is the lightest and can take a beating for most stockers. HEavy high HP cars sometimes opt for the Gforce.

Do some research and ask questions. It will be worth it. Any of these transmissions with a quality clutch is a ticket to fun!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Roger that. The Jerico is most common, many Gforce and a few G101s. All good stuff too.

The Jerico is the lightest and can take a beating for most stockers. HEavy high HP cars sometimes opt for the Gforce.

Do some research and ask questions. It will be worth it. Any of these transmissions with a quality clutch is a ticket to fun!
I am curious as to "Why" these transmissions are used, I have thought sometime down the road about putting a clutch pedal in and going stick for lots of fun

Why would I not have my say Viper 6 speed that came with the DP built to handle the power for 2k instead of buying one of these ? (we unlike most DP owners got a NEW, not Core trans) Or should it hit Ebay or another project for a Jerico or GForce.

What are the internal differences ? What makes them "special" instead of say a M21 or Super T10 ?

I simply dont know and would like to from someone "in the know"

Good thread Jerry
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
james schaechter
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooze View Post
I am curious as to "Why" these transmissions are used, I have thought sometime down the road about putting a clutch pedal in and going stick for lots of fun

Why would I not have my say Viper 6 speed that came with the DP built to handle the power for 2k instead of buying one of these ? (we unlike most DP owners got a NEW, not Core trans) Or should it hit Ebay or another project for a Jerico or GForce.

What are the internal differences ? What makes them "special" instead of say a M21 or Super T10 ?

I simply dont know and would like to from someone "in the know"

Good thread Jerry
This could take a while if you think that stuff is even close.

M21s and ST10s are street tranies. Even if they are proshifted, they are no match for any of these dedicated race transmissions. The Jerico for example is lighter, stronger, more efficient. Not to mention a mch better selection of ratios.

Keep your eyes open at the track. Go to the web sites for Jerico and Gforce and take a look at what they offer.

You will soon realize the difference.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
This could take a while if you think that stuff is even close.

M21s and ST10s are street tranies. Even if they are proshifted, they are no match for any of these dedicated race transmissions. The Jerico for example is lighter, stronger, more efficient. Not to mention a mch better selection of ratios.

Keep your eyes open at the track. Go to the web sites for Jerico and Gforce and take a look at what they offer.

You will soon realize the difference.
Ill look, I understand the reason now , if not the why....the why I can figure out.

Im just a little leary of the "because everyone does" if everyone does for a REASON and they all have the same reason cool.

If they all do because the others are doing but themselves dont know why....well....

Ive got a NOS ST10 from a 79 firebird, new never used......theres a reason for it even in my book....there are better options it just was an "off the head" example I had a close ratio muncie with straight cut gears "set up" years ago, It was a beast, and could handle everything I threw at it, but it was never "fast" it was a sherman tank....but....well that was why it went in that car.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It has to do with the "cut" of the gear or the way it is machined. If you get a chance talk to Jerry Hemmingson sometime. I met him up at Joliet once and was in total awe.
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
james schaechter
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooze View Post
Ill look, I understand the reason now , if not the why....the why I can figure out.

Im just a little leary of the "because everyone does" if everyone does for a REASON and they all have the same reason cool.

If they all do because the others are doing but themselves dont know why....well....

Ive got a NOS ST10 from a 79 firebird, new never used......theres a reason for it even in my book....there are better options it just was an "off the head" example I had a close ratio muncie with straight cut gears "set up" years ago, It was a beast, and could handle everything I threw at it, but it was never "fast" it was a sherman tank....but....well that was why it went in that car.
Sometimes being a pioneer is a good thing. This is not one of those times......

Don't take my word for it, I don't know anything.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Sometimes being a pioneer is a good thing. This is not one of those times......

Don't take my word for it, I don't know anything.
Hey....I believe it....the saying was just "saying" I see a lot of people doing things they dont know why....If I were to run a stick, Id go with one of those 2, at this point Id be one of the crowd doing it but not really knowing the nuts an bolts, just that I should be.

Hey now I believe it 100% when I have time Id like to know the how, like as in the mechanical aspects and differences. Might learn some cool stuff I see a lot of room for improvment in car manuals for racing from bikes, maybe theyve already applied those things.

How are guys shifting these ? Cant be by hand ? Or is it ? And clutch ? Are we talking a pedal, like as in rowing a 4 gear ? I cant believe thats the way its done....is it ?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Muncie's broke regualrly. I know I ran one in a 12 second Stocker with 7" slicks.....ST-10's came out and they were going to be the hot ticket......WRONG.....If you ran one without touching it, the gears might sieze from being to tight. My friends MP car did it . I honed gears with a flex hone trying to loosen it up for him and that did work...........They both were used extensively but needed a lot of work and sometimes broke.....

First they were "slick shifted" then "pro shifted".....If you missed a gear they needed to come apart to be fixed.....

Doug Nash was the next trans to come along and they did hold up pretty well...

There was a guy running a '57 Corvette at my local track in Pro bracket.....The car is just like a Jr Stocker from the 60's. Stock body, small tires........Slapper bars and low 12's with various small cube small blocks, He had a Jericho in it and he told me it had more runs than he could count on it over the years and it was never out for repair.....I think he finally broke it and put an automatic in it.....