HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Doug Domm

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts
Default Cool Cans?

What are some opinions on using a cool can and what kind? I am building a new fuel system and debate whether or not to include it. It is a stock eliminator sbc with a q-jet. I own a Moroso Super Cool Can but looking at it I wonder just how much the fuel flow is impeded by the design and if that itself would negate any benefit the cooling might provide. Thanks Doug
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Cool Cans?

Just be VERY careful with the Moroso cool can. I know a guy at a recent race who had one spring a leak and the can was full (and overflowing) with fuel. Apparently the aluminum insert had corroded allowing fuel into the ice chamber. The starting line crew caught it before he made his pass. Fuel pouring out on a hot engine would be a disaster to say the least.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Doug Domm

That is precisely what happened to mine and I caught it in time as well, Whew! I believe the seal shrunk in mine and hopefully it is fixed now but still apprehensive about using it. Do I really need one? How much advantage are they? Does everyone that has one use it or are they just excess baggage? I never really tested and probably should have.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

speed Max Performance is making a billet cool can (very cool design) in -6, -8 and soon to be a -10 size. their website is www.speedmaxperformance.com

I should have one of the -8 cans in my hands within a week, I will take pics and give a report
Old 11-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #5
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Question Re: Cool Cans?

I was going to say a -6 would not be big enough...What kind of money we talking on an 8an?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Cool Cans?

I am a believer in a cool can. It made my car more consistant from hot days changing to cool nites. I have a 283 with the 4-gc which is very small and probably is effected much more tha the larger carbs ,.Jetting would play a roll in this also.I jetted mine for consistancy more so than to go the fastest it can go . I use mine even in the winter cold air and love it .Mine is also a moroso and i will be checking it more often after hearing these stories.I would like to see the new can also. /see you guys at the races
Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg fulk View Post
I was going to say a -6 would not be big enough...What kind of money we talking on an 8an?
They aren't cheap, a little over $300 if i remember correctly. But their design is leakproof and very convenient (no loose ice). I will give a true judgement on the quality once i see it next week. I am waiting for the -10 for my personal application
Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Chad,

Would we be able to put 50-60psi of fuel pressure through this new cool can? It is something I have wanted to try for consistency with a slow fuel injected car, but never wanted to put that much pressure to the moroso unit.
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Doug Domm

Has anyone else had a moroso cool can apart before? I am not a rocket scientist or a scientist of any other sort but what I see in the design of this can is it provides a major deadhead for fuel flow and would appear that all the heat sink area is not being utilized either. Am I missing something here? Has anyone tested fuel flow or temp in versus temp out in one of these? Doug
Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: Cool Cans?

I run 7 1/2 fuel pressure. With ice in can i can feel the fuel line at carb and is very cold .which means the fuel will not be as dense as it would be at a hotter temp.just old school stuff.it works for me .