HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #21
hbps1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: G body stocker suspension tips

J. Gardiner, thanks for your reply. I actually have upper and lower rear adjustable (heim joint style) control arms with an anti roll bat and CE 3 way adjustable shocks right now for the rear. Just wondered if anything worked any better or if I had what would work the best. I also have the relocation brackets for the lower control arms to adjust the IC.

How about your front suspension? Right now I have stock front control arms with new Moog bushings. I ground the teeth off the upper control arm bushings so that the upper arms would be free to travel. I have adjustable CE front shocks and have stock small block springs right now but thought about buying the Moroso trick front springs. I have new Moog upper and lower stock ball joints also. Any suggestions here? Thanks
hbps1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
j gardiner

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I have the afco solid bushings, qa1 shocks and stock ball joints. I am not sure what the springs are. They are probably 6 cyl. springs.
j gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #23
Bud Lefevre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbps1978 View Post
Bud, Do I need any kind of special ball joints? I bought Moog stock replacement ball joints for the front.

Calvert shocks, who has these for sale? Seems like I saw a website advertising these at one time but can't remember where.

Bud, I'm sure you know how A body and G body like to twist when they leave. I noticed your pictures of your Malibu and it looked like you were using air bags. I had air bags in my 78 Malibu wagon stocker years ago but had trouble with pinching the one on the passenger side of the car. Have you or anyone you know ever tried to run a stock style sway bar to keep the car from twisting or used an anti roll bar for this?

Thanks for your help - Jeff
Nothing special on the ball joints. Calvert shocks can be bought from Alex at

http://www.moneymakerracing.com/

http://calvertracing.com/frontshocks.php

I have an air bag in the right rear. As for the rear sway bar, my opinion is it depends on the car and HP. Knowing more about your car / engine could help some.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #24
Rick Schilling

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I have a G-body car that I have been considering building as a stocker and although I haven't taken any actual measurements, at a glance, the rear suspension geometry on this car looks hideous. Instant center looks like it must be somewhere behind the car and to get the upper arms at a workable angle it seems the rear attachment point would almost have to be in the trunk.

There have been a number discussions here in the past about GM coil spring cars and there are seemingly an infinite number of theories and opinions as to what will or won't work. In addition, all of these cars were not created equal. Different body styles appear to have slightly different geometry, even though they are all of the same basic design. Many of you obviously have it figured out because when these cars work, they work very well.

Sure would be nice to just bolt on a set of Caltracs and go!
Rick Schilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #25
Larry Ingram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gentleman,
I am interested in putting a 12-bolt in a 1983 olds custom cruiser replacing as 9" that is in the car now. Who makes the kit or necessary housing to make the swap. Thanks much
Larry Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote