HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Harry Phelps and Jim Thomson - Event winners in TNTSS!

Great times had by all on yet another TNTSS double race weekend!

St Thomas Raceway Park was host to a spectacular weekend of sportsman drag racing on August 4-5. The Joe’s Transmission TNT Super Series crowned two new event winners – Harry Phelps and Jim Thomson.

Both Harry and Jim have now qualified for the 2012 Performance Improvements TNTSS Race of Champions. The ROC is a free race for any past TNTSS event winner with a purse valued at over $1800.

This past weekend - presented by Kevin Orr Mechanical - also saw the championship points battle get tighter than ever with Jon Jablonski catching Chris VanBaalen and the two currently tied for top spot at 500 points each.

And on Saturday night, all the racers enjoyed a free barbeque compliments of Laurie Orr, Bubbalou and Joe Boniferro.

Saturday August 4
After qualifying sixth, Harry Phelps from Newark, New York took his 1969 Nova to his first TNTSS event win against Niagara Falls, Ontario’s Jim Thomson.

Harry, the 2011 TNTSS Rookie of the Year, defeated TNTSS multi-event winner Mark Herbold in round one. His 'lucky round' came against Steve McCarrick in round two. He overcame a starting line disadvantage and beat Steve with a .0000 margin of victory! Harry was .047 on the tree and ran 7.015 to Steve’s .027, 7.035 package.

That put him into the semi’s against Kirk Parry where Harry had the reaction time advantage and ran a near perfect 7.004 for the win to Kirk's 7.007.

In the final round, both drivers got away clean - Harry with an .024 light and the advantage. At the stripe, Harry came out on top in a double breakout running a 6.993 to Jim’s 6.965 as Jim tried to chase him down.

"We were fighting carb problems the first qualifier," said Harry. "While other cars were running the last qualifying pass, I was still back in the pits with the carb in my hand. Things didn't look good at that point, but we were able to get it back on just in time and ran a 7.03 which got us close. Thanks to my wife Audrey for encouraging me I could still make it and Larry Pulver for helping on the starting line."

Harry mentioned how the St Thomas Raceway Park staff did a great job and that it is one of his favorite tracks, the way it's laid out and the way it's run.

"Thanks to Kevin and Laurie Orr for the good food and for sponsoring the race this weekend as well as Joe's Transmission, the Barnes family and Russ and Arlene Parker for a great series," he added.

Racing since the late 1970's, Harry acquired this Nova in 1985. It has a 468 for power and is capable of runs in the 10.30 range.

Harry now sits in third in the TNTSS championship standings, a mere 11 points out of first place.

Specialty Awards - Aug 4
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Jon Jablonski (West Seneca, NY) with a 7.001
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Ted Barnes (Caistorville, Ontario) with a 7.022
•Grand Bend Motorplex FREE PASS - Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦Al Hodgson (Waterford, Ontario) with a .055

Sunday August 5
After finishing in the runner up spot on Saturday, Niagara Falls’ Jim Thomson sealed the deal by taking his first TNTSS event win on Sunday.

Round one was a re-match of Saturday’s final with Harry Phelps. Jim had a slight advantage on the starting line and then let Harry go at the stripe - running a 6.992 to a losing 6.933.

In round two, Kirk Parry went .001 red on the tree, handing the win to Jim and moving him to the semi-finals against Roy Lister.

Roy then went red as well by .008 sending Jim to the finals. Jim was no slouch though as he had an .013 light.

In the final, he faced some tough competition from Tom Coonly. Jim cut down the tree with a .004 to Tom’s .034 allowing him plenty of room at the stripe to take the win with a 7.014 to Tom’s 7.015.

“I have a ton of people to thank,” commented Jim in the St Thomas Raceway Park winner’s circle. “My wife RaeAnn and my boys, Jimmy and Curtis for supporting me along with friends like Kevin Goodacre (who doesn't let me fry my tires) and Joe Boniferro and his boys for all the help and support.”

Jim points to Joe as the reason he tried the TNTSS. “Joe talked me into racing this series and has helped out every race. I had no idea at the very first race what to set the car and electronics at but Joe and Ted Barnes set me up. Again thanks to everyone.”

Jim refers to himself as a low budget racer who is very appreciative of the support he gets from Joe Boniferro (Boniferro Speed and Custom), Kevin Goodacre (Badlands Racing), his brother Rob (Four Seasons Roofing) and Gerry Bartel (The Balancing Act).

“I raced a long time ago and got out of it to raise a family. But after my boys grew up and moved out it was time to look for a car. I found this Nova in Windsor that needed a bit of work and it turned out to be a car originally owned and raced by Russ Parker.”

“Oh, and I was really, really glad they never called the race because of the rain delay Sunday morning!”

Jim is a strong contender for the Tim Thorne Rookie of the Year Award presented by Sam LoVetro Automotive and he now sits in fifth place in the championship standings with four races to go.

Specialty Awards - Aug 5
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Roy Lister (Welland, Ontario) with a 7.013
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Paul Young (Alden, NY) with a 6.993
•St Thomas Raceway Park FREE PASS - Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦Paul Young (Alden, NY) with a .004
The next stop in the 2012 Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series is Cayuga Dragway of Toronto Motorsports Park on Labor Day weekend September 1-2. The highlight will be the Performance Improvements Race of Champions on Saturday September 1st. Visit www.torontomotorsportspark.com for more information.

2012 Joe's Transmission TNTSS Points Standings (TOP 10) - After 9 of 13 - Adjusted for waivers
1 Jon Jablonski 500
2 Chris
Peter VanBaalen
VanBaalen 500
3 Harry Phelps 489
4 Tom Coonly 484
5 Jim
Ryan Thomson
Boniferro 464
6 Roy Lister 457
7 Larry Pulver 424
8 David Surmatchewski 417