HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default question for Mr. Billy Neese and fellow dime rocket racers.

Since class racing needs an infusion of new blood I have a question. I know I may get killed for this but I will ask anyway. Since nhra created Jr. Dragster to get kids into racing would it be an idea to have maybe a legal street stock for divisional. With all the people with muscle cars and the import crowd and now with the mustang, camaro and the challenger. I was wondering a low budget class style for street legal cars. Something with simple rules that somebody can come in to a division and feel what it's like and could get the taste.
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: question for Mr. Billy Neese and fellow dime rocket race

Yeah, it could use it. Doubt there's a snowballs chance in H#)) it'll happen. Be another class, more cars and it would need to be policed and tech inspection performed. Something I sincerely doubt NHRA is interested in.

Closest thing out there is IHRA's Pure Stock. Unless you live near any IHRA tracks, well, you basically have a "stock" bracket car. I wanted to run my Achieva in this class but it doesn't fit. Another factor, some combos don't support or allow all IHRA classes. Locally for me, Ohio Valley and Beech Bend in Kentucky run combos but only the Valley allows some IHRA classes (no PS'ers).

Took my dime rocket to the Doorslammers at Ohio Valley this past Sunday. We ran it in the Pro bracket. Accomplished a couple bests, it ran a 10.69 at 66.69 mph. previous bests were 10.83 and 65+ mph. I'm still short of the IHRA EF/SA index of 9.85. Other than basic hot rodder stuff, we haven't done anything to the car, yet.

Start a build, put something together and jump in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olds at Ohio Valley.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	13940  
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: question for Mr. Billy Neese and fellow dime rocket race

While it's not a "stock" type class, NHRA has been trying some heads-up, .500 Pro-tree index classes (10.0, 11.0 and 12.0) as a less expensive alternative to the Super classes and simpler rules. No spec tech like Stock & SS.! Rumor had it that one source of cars would be from the Stock and SS classes. But they've only been getting a handful or less per class.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Until NHRA makes changes at the top things will never change.The upper echelon is
entrenched in their glass house surrounded by their bean counters and lawyer types.They're making big money are are comfortable with themselves.Until the members
(sportsman and pro racers find a way to put pressure on them to change the formula,
you guys will be spoon fed the same old crap.Me?I'm done.When my membership
runs out next year that will be my total breakaway.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
Since class racing needs an infusion of new blood I have a question. I know I may get killed for this but I will ask anyway. Since nhra created Jr. Dragster to get kids into racing would it be an idea to have maybe a legal street stock for divisional. With all the people with muscle cars and the import crowd and now with the mustang, camaro and the challenger. I was wondering a low budget class style for street legal cars. Something with simple rules that somebody can come in to a division and feel what it's like and could get the taste.
Skills, I've already sent a letter a couple of weeks ago to my Div 1 Director Bob Lang on a proposal to have a new class for entry level at divisional races which would allow new style cars to race in a bracket format. I was told that they were looking into it. Do the same thing and after a while we might be surprised. Claude Ruel
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For the most part isn't this what the divisional opens are for?
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile Re: question for Mr. Billy Neese and fellow dime rocket race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Until NHRA makes changes at the top things will never change.The upper echelon is
entrenched in their glass house surrounded by their bean counters and lawyer types.They're making big money are are comfortable with themselves.Until the members
(sportsman and pro racers find a way to put pressure on them to change the formula,
you guys will be spoon fed the same old crap.Me?I'm done.When my membership
runs out next year that will be my total breakaway.
X's 2.....Its worse than trying to stop drinking ! You have to find another hobby to ease the withdrawls.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
What you are looking for already exists but I won't hold my breath waiting for an NHRA track to try it. Beaver Springs Dragway has a class for kids (12-16?) in which they race their parents street car, 1/8 mile, 10.00 or slower with the parent in the passenger seat. In an area where the average parent can't afford a JR dragster it's very popular. Some of the kids have graduated to running the regular bracket program and are very good. For more info, check out their website.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
What you are looking for already exists but I won't hold my breath waiting for an NHRA track to try it. Beaver Springs Dragway has a class for kids (12-16?) in which they race their parents street car, 1/8 mile, 10.00 or slower with the parent in the passenger seat. In an area where the average parent can't afford a JR dragster it's very popular. Some of the kids have graduated to running the regular bracket program and are very good. For more info, check out their website.
TCR (Teen CHampionship Racing), for kids 13-17. The track I work at weekly (Quaker City in Ohio) has it also, as do Pittsburgh and maybe a few other tracks. Great, and more affordable alternative to Jr Dragsters. As Billy stated, street-legal cars only, 10.00 and slower, 1/8 mile. Child drives the car from staging lanes to timeslip booth; parent/adult co-rider navigates the vehicle through the pits.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is actually what I am talking about Billy that is a great idea. It needs to be for anybody though. Fans like myself that may want to experience what it's like. Tracks have the Friday night street stuff so with the same rules street legal over 10 in the quarter. Random pairing maybe 50 to enter or whatever run at division's and opens. Ed I understand how you feel but nhra is just like the country if we don't do something it will disappear. You all love the dutch because it is all about the racer even if you don't have 20000fans. We can bring in new racers and fans to the national level if we don't at the divisional levels. I look forward to the dutch now because there isn't any nitro or stopping for espn it's just wall to wall racing all day and no scrap. Love muscle cars but I wasn't around with the height of it all. I work for ups freight and believe me there are people there that would be all over this.
skills is offline   Reply With Quote