HOME MAGAZINE FORUM RULES SPONSORS CONTACT
     
   
   
 
Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #31
joespanova
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mc Donough Ga.
Posts: 430
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
I have a 66 Chevy II with a old school leaf spring ladder bar set up from the early 80's (I'm not joking). We have a 327350hp combo. We have the bars in the bottom hole with front shocks turned as tight as they will go and travel limiter a tight as they can go also. We are trying to stop the car from turning over. Anybody at the track can verify what I'm.saying. This thing goes higher in second gear than the actual launch. We run a stick car so different from setups talked about on here. Last time out in SS/H we ran career best of 9.65@135 with a 1.43 60'
Ed , my car IS a stick car also........2.98 low , 5.67 Rr. Grs....... McLeod plate , aluminum wheel.
You cant be happy with 1.40s 60s

Oh yeah , almost forgot.I have Chassis Works "floaters' on mine too.............with mono leafs. The car was built in early 90s.

Last edited by joespanova; 04-20-2017 at 10:12 PM.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #32
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter
 
Ed Carpenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dripping Springs, Tx
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

I have a 3.19 with a 6.17 at 3025lbs. 2.98 isn't enough IMO
__________________
Ed Carpenter
66 Chevy II 4244 SS/H 327/350/300 Combo
Power by J Allen Sherman
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #33
Chevy55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 47
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
I have a 3.19 with a 6.17 at 3025lbs. 2.98 isn't enough IMO
Those are very impressive numbers that you're running Ed. Off topic but if you don't mind me asking, what rear are you running and what kind of gear life?
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #34
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter
 
Ed Carpenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dripping Springs, Tx
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy55 View Post
Those are very impressive numbers that you're running Ed. Off topic but if you don't mind me asking, what rear are you running and what kind of gear life?
Dana 60 current ring and pinion has about 70 runs on it.
__________________
Ed Carpenter
66 Chevy II 4244 SS/H 327/350/300 Combo
Power by J Allen Sherman
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #35
Mike Pearson
VIP Member
 
Mike Pearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,251
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Ed , my car IS a stick car also........2.98 low , 5.67 Rr. Grs....... McLeod plate , aluminum wheel.
You cant be happy with 1.40s 60s

Oh yeah , almost forgot.I have Chassis Works "floaters' on mine too.............with mono leafs. The car was built in early 90s.
Those are rear wheel 60 ft times. You wont run as fast as Ed is with a true 1.40 60 ft. Great to see Ed's car running that well.
__________________
Mike Pearson 2485 SS
Mike Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #36
Mike Pearson
VIP Member
 
Mike Pearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,251
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
I have a 66 Chevy II with a old school leaf spring ladder bar set up from the early 80's (I'm not joking). We have a 327350hp combo. We have the bars in the bottom hole with front shocks turned as tight as they will go and travel limiter a tight as they can go also. We are trying to stop the car from turning over. Anybody at the track can verify what I'm.saying. This thing goes higher in second gear than the actual launch. We run a stick car so different from setups talked about on here. Last time out in SS/H we ran career best of 9.65@135 with a 1.43 60'
Check and see if Santhuff makes shocks for your car. They will control the wheelstands. They aren't cheap but are the best. Good to see your car running that strong. That is getting it done!
__________________
Mike Pearson 2485 SS
Mike Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #37
Mike Pearson
VIP Member
 
Mike Pearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,251
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Geezus...........
see this is what this is really all about.......better 60s ,launch etc etc.........
I'm consistent in the 9.40s and I've NEVER had a 1.20 ANYTHING 1.30s YES..........1.32-1.34ish......
I have a 1.96 low in the glide and a 5.86 in the rear with a 100 inch roll out radial tire. The glide is handicapping me a bit in comparison to the 3 speed cars I suspect I could pick up about .015 with a good 3 speed trans. I have the power but cant run the short times of some of the really fast cars in my class. I have run next to those guys and their short times blew my mind.
__________________
Mike Pearson 2485 SS
Mike Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #38
Hacksaw
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 162
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

I always thought the Santhuff's fronts big difference was their compression valving, controlling the car after it comes down from a large wheel stand. Are their rebound qualities equally unique?
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #39
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter
 
Ed Carpenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dripping Springs, Tx
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Geezus...........
see this is what this is really all about.......better 60s ,launch etc etc.........
I'm consistent in the 9.40s and I've NEVER had a 1.20 ANYTHING 1.30s YES..........1.32-1.34ish......
Sorry I never asked what combo and class do you run? Ed
__________________
Ed Carpenter
66 Chevy II 4244 SS/H 327/350/300 Combo
Power by J Allen Sherman
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #40
joespanova
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mc Donough Ga.
Posts: 430
Default Re: Ladder bar tuning / adjusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
Sorry I never asked what combo and class do you run? Ed
I run nostalgia SS and FX stuff........not current traditional stuff like you're doing but fun none the less......still a lot of work though , mainly because I do everything myself , engines , trans , rear end etc etc........and the body aint what it used to be and is very sore at the end of the day.
A 377 is in the car now but I've been a 9.41@ 141 with the ol' 355......but that engine would vary from that best to a low .60 high .50. 23 degree std runner head.
The 377 is the same engine basically , just the 4.155 bore and more compression. Same heads , cam , intake etc etc.
This is an old video..........I've posted here before , but here it is ..this was with the 355......9.51, 139ish. Launch RPM was realtively low this day IIRC

I expect the 377 to get me in the 9.30s in good conditions.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Class Racer.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.Ad Management plugin by RedTyger