Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #11
Ctruc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Header Coatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstock View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a company to coat a set of headers? Is there any difference with longevity or performance from one company to another?

Thanks
Longevity is a function of your application and the coating you use. This starts with choosing the correct coating, i.e., traditional or high temp ceramic. Point being, traditional bright ceramic on an application with incorrect fuel, timing or a trip to the dyno will kill a freshly coated set of headers in a matter of minutes. The set below dulled out in about 10 minutes in that the carb was too lean........

Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonde View Post
I have tried a few header coatings and all will fail, stainless is the way to go for longevity ,, "but !" the ceramic coating will keep the exhaust heat in the header tube by a bunch and is will keep the under hood temp down,, gmonde
X2. After spending hundreds of dollars on header coatings over the years, I wish I just would have bought stainless from the "git-go". I've had my stainless headers for at least 10-12 years now and they still look like new.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #13
Ctruc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel View Post
X2. After spending hundreds of dollars on header coatings over the years, I wish I just would have bought stainless from the "git-go". I've had my stainless headers for at least 10-12 years now and they still look like new.
To say "all" header coatings will fail because you tried a "few" is ridiculous, in that there are countless variables involved in coating said headers, most of which are "user error". Also, its important to point out the differences in a set of stainless headers vs a set of traditional mild steel headers. The most obvious advantage to a set of stainless steel headers is that they will not rust out like a traditional set of mild steel headers, BUT they WILL oxidize fairly quickly. This can vary from a mild color change all the way to "rusty looking" header depending on the application.

Just an FYI, there are a couple things people often over look when getting a new set SS headers. The most noticeable difference is the INCREASED under hood heat. Being a denser material SS will technically hold a little more heat in the pipes. BUT what ends up happening is the pipes also hold a lot more heat at the surface which translates to increased radiated heat as compared to a set of mild steel headers. The other issue involves appearance. Most think their bright shiny, new SS headers are going to stay looking pretty for ever. This is pretty short lived, especially in a racing application. So in most cases, if you want the headers to stay cool and look good for many years to come, it becomes equally important to coat even SS headers.....

Uncoated - Polished 304SS

Uncoated - 409SS
Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #14
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Sorry, but I still wish I had all of the money back that I spent with several different coating companies. It would be easily between $1,000-2,000 over the years, enough to buy a set of stainless and be done with it. And I do not work for or associated with any header builder or header coating company. Just my .02.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #15
Ctruc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel View Post
Sorry, but I still wish I had all of the money back that I spent with several different coating companies. It would be easily between $1,000-2,000 over the years, enough to buy a set of stainless and be done with it. And I do not work for or associated with any header builder or header coating company. Just my .02.
I'm sure everyone wants their money back from something at some point. That said, SS is usually the smartest investment in any header application........
Old 11-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #16
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctruc View Post
Longevity is a function of your application and the coating you use. This starts with choosing the correct coating, i.e., traditional or high temp ceramic. Point being, traditional bright ceramic on an application with incorrect fuel, timing or a trip to the dyno will kill a freshly coated set of headers in a matter of minutes. The set below dulled out in about 10 minutes in that the carb was too lean........

Totally agree with this comment. As a header fabricator who has had a lot of headers coated, the bright silver (that is the common coating material) is only good for around 1400 degrees F so lean mixture can easily cook it off. Usually it happens right at the first bend after the flange but can migrate down the entire length of the tube in extreme cases. It turns a dull silver color, once that happens it's just a matter of time until it flakes off completely. The dull black coating material works better and has a higher temp rating but isn't very visually appealing.

I also am a fan off SS but the comments about under hood temperature are valid, they radiate heat like crazy and are screaming hot on the exterior. A coated MS header cools down to a warm to the touch condition in 10 -15 minutes after shutting off the motor. You can't get anywhere near an SS header in that time period. I normally charge exactly double to fab SS headers but it is worth the money from a life expectancy standpoint.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
ohiocamarodave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

X2 on M &R in Tenn. 4th year on ours and they still look great.
ohiocamarodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
jackarnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocamarodave View Post
X2 on M &R in Tenn. 4th year on ours and they still look great.
Used VHT silver on a set of coated headers for the nostalgia look,after 4 years on the street rod , show, 65 ElCamino they still look like new. The paint never tried to leave the pipes.
jackarnew is offline   Reply With Quote