HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Top Sportsman and Top Dragster
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
RuggedRacing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Atco Top Dragster Crash????

Does anyone have any info on the driver who carshed in Top Dragster at Atco???? I know Mr. Kenny was ok but how about the other driver?
RuggedRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
dbochan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dbochan Send a message via Yahoo to dbochan
Default Re: Atco Top Dragster Crash????

I found this posted by Nuclear Waste
Burnout box

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?p=4047779

I was pitted along the return road, Tony Billet from Ohio was the one who lost control and collected Alan Kenny, both cars were upside down sliding past my rig. Billet had to be cut out of the car because he was unresponsive at first ( I heard he is doing ok, and was asking about his car). Alan Kenny was a little banged and shook up, but was doing fine. Billets car was torn up pretty bad.
Safety crew did a great job and were right on top of it, glad both guys are ok, it was a frightening sight to say the least.
From what I saw, there was no oil, they didnt have to clean the track, they inspected and dragged it before they resumed. I do not know what caused him to lose control.
dbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Carl Juliano

Liked 59 Times in 21 Posts

That was pretty much how it went down, I was along the return road, and saw them sliding down the track. I dont know how he lost control, and Im not gonna speculate, Im just glad they are ok because it was a scary sight.
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
RACER1530

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to RACER1530

I heard he was released from the hospital on saturday night,that was great news!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 983 Times in 299 Posts

All I know was I was standing on the starting line and when Tony made the burn-out the car did not sound healthy at all and a few of us kinda looked around at each other with the "Did you hear that" then he left the line and the car sounded horrible...popping and crackling all the way down the track and about 600 feet out a small line of white smoke started to come out of the motor and as he got down farther and farther the smoke became heavier and heavier and the car kinda turned to the right then made the hard left turn into Al Kenny's lane and he dissapeared and we just saw Al spinning across the top end. I talked to Al in the lanes cause he was in front of us for 1st round of S/G and he said he never saw the guy and and started to cruise around 1,000 foot cause he had already passed the guy when "Bam" he felt a jolt and he was going for a ride. Just glad that everyone is ok. They brought Tony's car back with a backhoe and the front was gone up till the drivers compartment and everything else looked like it stayed in tact except for the wing and the top of the cage which was cut off.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Alan Kenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there! I want to let everyone know that I am 100% OK. All the safety stuff worked (including the optional poured seat and HANS, which I HIGHLY recommend). I was fine when I got out of the car and just as fine the next morning . . . I did have a sore left thumb . . . apparently that stuff about letting go of the wheel when you are crashing is important!!! A big thank you to the Atco & D1 safety crews . . . I had barely skidded to a stop when they were there and asking if I was OK. Also thanks to Dan Page for a safe race car that stood up in a high mph crash. Car is at Dan's right now . . . prolly gonna need new tubes from the motor back and a couple of rollcage tubes and 4 new wheels and tires and a new wing. Sent the motor to Stinnett for a 'checkup', but it appears to be fine. Seems that the first impact shut the master off so the engine was stopped almost immediately.

I don't have any info on Tony other than the same rumours that are being reported. Joe Sway said he 'thought' he was still in hospital on monday morning with some issues of dizziness and memory. I expect that all comes with getting knocked out. Hopefullly Tony or his crew can let us know how he is. Thanks to all the offers of help and loaner cars. I am hoping to be back for the Maple Grove points meet at the end of the month. See y'all at the races!

Al Kenny
Alan Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Jo Anne Winzer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
Just a quick note to say that Tony is back home and doing well.
I was with him and his crew chief, Ernie, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, really great people.
I tell people all the time that I love being a part of NHRA because it is the only sport I know of that competitors really do watch out for each other.
I will pass along your well wishes to Tony.
Take care, see you at Maple Grove and God Bless,
Chaplain Jo-Anne Winzer

PS ~ a special Thank You to the driver of the golf cart that took me to the end of the track and to Jamie Butkiewicz for transporting me to my van.