HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Buicksstage1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Newbe Q-jet/fuelsystem questions

We are in the process of putting together a SA (stock appearing) Buick 455 stage1 that has about 550hp. We are going to use a BG400 pump and BG reg, 1/2 pick up with return, #10 from pump to reg, #8 out both sides of the reg to a Y and #8 to the gutted stock pump where it will feed the carb from a 3/8 id steel line and we will crank the pressure up on the pump its self and run 6psi at the carb. What do you guys think? I know the Q-jet has a small fuel bowl so I know they seem to be tought to keep full, the buick Q-jet has the long fuel filter housing coming straight out the front so I will unlarge the inside as big as possible but was wondering if you guys could offer any tips or info on the fuel system/crab build? Thanks........Chris
Buicksstage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Grant Eldridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Newbe Q-jet/fuelsystem questions

Just an opinion, but wouldn't it be better to go #10 from the regulator into the gutted pump, then if necessary fabricate a stock appearing but larger diameter #10 steel line from the pump into the carb? I'm assuming you want to retain a somewhat stock appearance here from the gutted pump to the carb. These carbs seem to need all the possible volume available with the one needle and seat and small bowl, the 3/8" line might defeat having enough of a reserve of fuel present under pressure.Of course, enlarge and smooth the ID of all fittings as much as possible and avoid 90 degree fittings etc. I've rebuilt my q-jet fuel system three times enlarging it each time, and feel that there were improvements each time. We actually used #12 from the regulator to the carb to act as a reservoir. Just my 2 cents......
Grant Eldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Buicksstage1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Newbe Q-jet/fuelsystem questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Eldridge View Post
Just an opinion, but wouldn't it be better to go #10 from the regulator into the gutted pump, then if necessary fabricate a stock appearing but larger diameter #10 steel line from the pump into the carb? I'm assuming you want to retain a somewhat stock appearance here from the gutted pump to the carb. These carbs seem to need all the possible volume available with the one needle and seat and small bowl, the 3/8" line might defeat having enough of a reserve of fuel present under pressure.Of course, enlarge and smooth the ID of all fittings as much as possible and avoid 90 degree fittings etc. I've rebuilt my q-jet fuel system three times enlarging it each time, and feel that there were improvements each time. We actually used #12 from the regulator to the carb to act as a reservoir. Just my 2 cents......
Thanks for your reply Grant, the problems is the stock steel line that goes from the pump to carb is 5/16 id so I'm pushing the rules already with 3/8 id steel replacement. The reason for using both sides of the reg into a Y is because I've heard that it stablizes the fuel pressure opposed to one line out.Are hands are tide unlike the dodge guys that run 2 or 3 carbs. I'm trying to feed 494 cubes and run high 10's on dots through the exhaust. Any help with the carb build would be great also. Thank you.......Chris
Buicksstage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Johnny U

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Newbe Q-jet/fuelsystem questions

You have a PM.
Johnny U is offline   Reply With Quote