HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,934 Times in 901 Posts
Default Oil pressure on small block mopar

Fairly new to board, just getting back into racing after a sabatical. I've noted how many folks are ready to help with advice on any number of issues and thought I'd throw mine out there for feedback. Have a Moroso pan (full length of pan approx. 6 inches deep, three chambers seperated by two 3 inch barriers, each with operating trap doors) and I've put two runs on a new motor. Both passes resulted in zero oil pressure when I hit the brakes at end of the run. I have good (not excessive) oil pressure, the pickup is matched to the pan and everything else seems to be in order when running Valvoline 20-50 for the sake of safety.

Also, want to get a backup motor together and I'm new to the east coast (Savannah, GA), any recommendations for both a class motor as well as fast brackets that is close?
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil pressure on small block mopar

My Pontiac used to do the same thing with the stock pan, I modified it with a baffle that runs front to rear,parallel with the block. Helps keep the oil around the pickup. Also put one in the real like Moroso sells for the sbc. Fixed about 90% of the problem.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE=jmcarter;98748]Fairly new to board, just getting back into racing after a sabatical. I've noted how many folks are ready to help with advice on any number of issues and thought I'd throw mine out there for feedback. Have a Moroso pan (full length of pan approx. 6 inches deep, three chambers seperated by two 3 inch barriers, each with operating trap doors) and I've put two runs on a new motor. Both passes resulted in zero oil pressure when I hit the brakes at end of the run. I have good (not excessive) oil pressure, the pickup is matched to the pan and everything else seems to be in order when running Valvoline 20-50 for the sake of safety.

Also, want to get a backup motor together and I'm new to the east coast (Savannah, GA), any recommendations for both a class motor as well as fast brackets that is close?[/QUOTE

Hi. Wecome to "sunny" Georgia. I moved here 2 years ago (the same year they closed Savannah Dragway) PM me or email me at ArtLeong@earthlink.net
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
George Mirza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like you don't have enough oil in the motor. If you have a high volume pump you are probably sucking most of the oil out of the pan and whats left is getting away from the pick up when you hit the brakes. Try adding another quart and see how it is. If you are running a high volume pump, you may need a standard volume pump. Thats what most of the stockers use and they all turn 7000+ with a stock volume pan. Shutting it off at the finish line is just asking for trouble!
George Mirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Jim Storms

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Jim, it runs, how cool call me 425 941-8765 Jim Storms
Jim Storms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Jim Storms

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Jim, if you are running the aluminum pan i sold you with the car? that pan needs 7-8 quarts of oil, its a wide pan, i had the same problem, once i added about 1-1/2 more it went away...well hopfully thing's are going good. Jim
Jim Storms is offline   Reply With Quote