HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
Ryan Dillman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Speeds in S/G

I honestly cant see a big deal trying to judge the finishline when im running 156 to 158 and the other guys coming on me at 165 actually i cant judge the finish line that well any way so that was just my 02. To me its not worth it to spend an extra 10 or 12k to pick up MAYBE 7 to 10 mph. I think we might try to run alchohol to try to get to about 160 but im not sure if the tank in the back would work im just not sure it the belt drive pump could keep up with it. Any suggestions??????
Old 01-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
sst7250

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Steltz View Post
Have you actually tried to run SG ? Is it you think that you wont be able to hit the tree ?

Everyones friend GaryGoFast has a 2800 lbs chassis car, runs 8.50 ish out the door and with just a couple of changes has no issue hitting a .370 tree here in D1, so dunno why you cant...Whats your converter stall at and where's your 4 link set ?

I think the issue of going 160 is SST is getting the cruise RPM down low enough to have minimal time in the stop timer so you can get a longer run at the traps...

Well the engine combo is going to be an issue. I switched to a smaller higher horsepower motor in the car. I am on converter number three now, hoping it will stall at 6700 or so, as soon as the weather cooperates I will get it out and see. I have not tried to run S/G with the car. I have run it at some heads up stuff with a .4 tree but not S/G, not real confident the car can hit the tree. I can move the 4 link around and as soon as we get the converter deal sorted out will begin to play with the 4 link. I have primarily been full tree bracket racing and it works well in that setting. My concern is hitting the tree but we did find a 4 link setting(by putting the car on the bumper to the 330 mark)a few weeks back that may work well once we get the right converter in the car.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Dave Steltz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dillman View Post
I honestly cant see a big deal trying to judge the finishline when im running 156 to 158 and the other guys coming on me at 165 actually i cant judge the finish line that well any way so that was just my 02. To me its not worth it to spend an extra 10 or 12k to pick up MAYBE 7 to 10 mph. I think we might try to run alchohol to try to get to about 160 but im not sure if the tank in the back would work im just not sure it the belt drive pump could keep up with it. Any suggestions??????
Having went thru the alcohol change from gas this past year I have some info...

If you are going to use an electric pump/carb, you might be able to do it...there are a few guys in D1 running
pretty good with a Nickerson set up, which uses a big pump and a regulator in the front with a by-pass..If you are going injection you pretty much need a front cell...

You wont have any luck I dont believe with a belt pump and rear cell...and if someone trys to talk you into a surge tank in the front, tried it, was very not happy with the results, and returned it to Rons..PM me if you need more details on that...

My .02 on the speed diff...I can do well enough at 150 judging 160-163 ish...more than that I just set up honest and see what happens at the line...some of these 170 guys are picking up 50 plus mph on the back half, so they are not there until 10 feet before the stripe...
I too hope to be closer to 155-157 this year so that should help me...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
Eddie Arnold Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Charlie ,,, you nailed my plan for 2009

"and I'm really feeling that with some testing in the converter and tire area, these guy will easily be into the 170's "

Dave ,, $20K is close

When I switched last year from a small block , it cost me $23K ,,,, I had to get Complete motor , engine plate, headers , gears , different converter ( The bad *** Red one from Hughs ) , Transmission , tires , box to shift on time and Diapers/Toilet paper for me ,,,, ( hey , I hope my wife isn't reading this post ,,,,Turning Money into Noise !! ) ---- On the plus side the sell of my Small Block , trans , gears , converter , tires etc ,,,, did get me
almost 1/2 the $ back ( one of my friends is putting the Small Block in a Chevette

Colorful 37
Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Ryan Dillman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave

It would be a belt drive pump with tank in back with carb......... i had a nova that had the tank in the front and it did fine just worried about it being in the back on the roadster.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
bmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Make sure its a good belt drive pump BLP etc and that the fuel isnt forced to climb anymore then 12 inch in height from cell exit height to imput on pump and run a minimum of #8 return line all the way to the rear tank. Been running alky a very long time and front tank is better but rear tank worked ok.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

The speed thing is self governing....for us.....we go high 160's and its still managable..the problem is the motors are expensive and don't last near as long....

we are probably one of the guys you are talking about....but I don't think we will be going any faster.....we feel this is kind of the ceiling....I know some guys are going 170's....but being on the stop so long is boring...and if you have an issue....the issue lasts longer....which in turn causes the car to be screwed up....

I can tell you ....its not that easy to get a high horsepower car good on the stop.....so you slower guys should welcome the guys that want to go over 170....because its tough to make them consistent....

I still think about 165 is the place to be.....about 1050 hp........my 2 cents....

cbs
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts

150 -154 is fine with us, bottom line, Dad keeps on saying the first SOB that crashes into him going 170mph plus and trying to park in the lights better be knocked out cause he said if he can get out of his car, he will hurt you more, lol
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
B CHILLIK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well rock...i hope your saying is true,cause im only gonna be going 153 in s/c guess we will see how i do...
B CHILLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #20
Eddie Arnold Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nitro ,,,,

Please tell Dad , that not everyone who runs High MPH ,, hits the bakes !

I for one still dial my car and attempt to run the number , in the 92 passes I made last year , not once did
I use the brakes except for normal stoping after the race ,,,,,, remember I have hit the wall on more than one
occasion with a Small Block and know what excessive braking can do ( That is another good topic for winter cabin fever ) ---- I was schooled by some very good racers , some on this board on how to drive the stripe and when to start getting out the gas .

One of the reason , I went to a BIG BLOCK , was when I saw Tom Seeman come into Trails and go 9.91 , 9.908 @ 171 MPH,,,,when you dial one of them beast and can be consistent , you will be tough !!!!
Bottom Line run the number and it don't matter , but if you miss the number don't blink , because I'll be right there

Now I will Wap you a couple of times as I pass you but the brake never comes into play ,,,, at least not for me and the folks that have help me to be a better racer ,,,,,, Trust me when you are running high MPH ,brakes are the last thing on your mind , at least mine

Colorful # 37

PS,,,,, Don't beleive CBS ,,, the motor he let me use is making over 1200 HP