HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #81
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Is it time to fix Super Class Racing?

[QUOTE=Joe Pinkston;205822]Bill, I hope you saw the sarcasm in my last statement.

I think Tom said it best when he said that .90 classes will never appeal to the average spectator. I believe you could include all sportsman classes from Comp on down in that statement. Several years ago before NHRA ran the national events on such a tight schedule for the sake of the TV contracts, I met with a group of friends from south Fla. to have breakfast before going out to the Gatornationals on a Sunday. Back then sportsman classes always got in a few rounds of eliminations before the official opening ceremonies. We were finishing our breakfast when one friend's wife suggested we should hurry up so we would not be late getting to the track. Her husband said that they would not miss anything because the classes running that early were not worth watching. It was then that I came to my understanding of how the average spectator views the sportsman classes. I believe the average "John Force fan" spectator thinks us sportsman racers are out here running $500 cars, and they could do the very same thing at the next race but running such lowly classes would be beneath them.

Just my observation and opinion.

Ah yep:
Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #82
SSGN

Liked 129 Times in 45 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Is it time to fix Super Class Racing?

I think by eliminating electronics and going a route like NHRA unleashed you would attract cars that never particepated at divisional type events before.Their are many street strip cars that can run 9.90 and 10.90 today like the new mustangs.However they do not want the rules of Stock/superstock and do not like the electronics of the super categories.This would bring new blood inn and the existing cars could easily participate and probably do even better competeing against rookie drivers.I do not think fixing is the right word but more of a tweek.Racing will change in the near future,it is just a matter of will it be good or bad change.Just a thought

Kevin
Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #83
Rick Blake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgeno View Post
How many of you think NHRA or IHRA want's the fan's to get a seat in the morning and stay there all day.
I bet they make more money on food and shirt's while the sportsman classes are running than anyother time.
I love Super Class Racing.
The Guys that are Winning are not complaining.
The Guys complaining are not winning. Most of the time.
Bingo....we have a winner
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #84
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Bingo again.....It's ok that they buy tee shirts when we run....I don't mind....frankly we are lucky to be there....no amount of change...short of letting us run nitro...will keep the people in the stands.....I enjoy watching my buddies race....but the view from behind the wheel is much better.....

I had a buddy that thought my super comp dragster looked slow....so I let him make a 400 ft pass...with the throttle stop on....(actually it was Hortons car)..He has not been the same since....if people were aware they might be more interested.....not sure how to do that but it would help.....

cbs
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #85
schultz

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Education of the fan is a big part of the reason they are not watching. I don't know how many times I've been down by the stripe watching the super classes, and somebody is in the stands saying I don't get it. I'll take the time and explain to them how the throttle stop works and all the calculations you have to do to make your car run a .90 and how your reaction time factors in, and how the break outs work. Then when they get it. They seem to think it's pretty neat, and guess what I'll go back up to the same spot for the next round and they are back too. Next time you hear somebody in the stands that doesnt get it take the time to explain it to them. You can't rely on the announcers to do it. As far as I'm concerned leave the classes alone.

Schultz
Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #86
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

Since this thread has covered a wide range of suggestions. I will add one. All super classes should be on a .500 pro tree. This way car that can only run SST could run in SG.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #87
sc7667

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The big reason car counts are down is the economy. It has beeen getting worse every year since 2007. People just can't afford to travel as much or take the time off work. I am one of those people and went from a full div. schedule to being lucky to race 2 div each of the last 2 years. Even local bracket programs around me are down on cars.

I have been watching the class average speed in SC for the last 8 years and have notice it seems to have leveled off to between 170-175. I think people have realized that it is as hard for the 185 guy as it is for the 150 guy. Being on the stop as long as you need to be to run 180+ is hard to make a car repeat well. There seems to be a point (around 170) that you can make a car really consistent. I am building a new motor to run around 173 and it will be less than $10,000.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #88
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Looks like we beat this one to death......

Billy asked to close this thread....It was his....so its closed...

Rock
Closed Thread